Author Topic: Bone Broth for dental health  (Read 8263 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: Bone Broth for dental health
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2014, 12:32:47 PM »
Pookie,
Did you make your own bone broth?
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2014, 04:23:48 PM »
Pookie,
Did you make your own bone broth?

Yep.  I picked up (and did a happy dance upon finding) free-range chicken legs and thighs, tossed 'em in the slow cooker with filtered water and set it on low for 24 hours.  I didn't add anything else except some ACV (with the mother in it) to help get the minerals out of the bones.
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2014, 11:01:07 AM »
This is about human consumption, but I thought since it's about bone broth, you might be interested in the article:

http://wellandgood.com/2014/11/05/why-new-yorkers-will-be-sipping-bone-broth-in-coffee-cups-this-winter/

He might be on to something. In the wellness world, at least, bone broth is having a serious moment. More and more health coaches, nutritionists, and beauty gurus are recommending it for its many benefits, from boosting gut health and fighting inflammation to providing a dose nutrients like magnesium, potassium, calcium, amino acids, and collagen. Food pioneer Sally Fallon Morell’s lastest book is called Nourishing Broth: An Old-Fashioned Remedy for the Modern World and trendy London health company Hemsley + Hemsley makes cheeky totes that say “Boil Your Bones.”
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2014, 02:11:04 PM »
I bought a whole chicken.  It wasn't organic though.  I don't think organic chicken exists, in my area.  It did say "natural"... for what that is worth.  I'm hoping non-organic is better than nothing.  :-\
Anyway... my "dream" is that it would replace Pepcid for Roxy,and ACV for Arrows. 

When something new is given, Roxy takes a loooooong time to eat.  To avoid others from trying to steal her food, after they are finished...I end up putting Roxy in the spare bedroom.  She can take her time, without worrying about food thieves.  When I put it in her food yesterday... I put her plate down...she sniffed it...and then went to the spare bedroom, on her own!  lol  She cleaned her plate though.  :)
Lucy ate, but wasn't too fond of it.  I got a few "looks" from her. 
Everyone else LOVED it!!! 

Someone puked sometime after lunch yesterday, but before dinner.  I don't know who.  I didn't give Roxy the Pepcid, nor Arrows the ACV.  *sigh* 

Thanks for the link, DD!  When I told hubby how nutritious bone brought is... he asked if I was making it for us or the pets.   ;D
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 02:12:48 PM by Lola »
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Tags: