Author Topic: Answers . . . sort of  (Read 1627 times)

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
Answers . . . sort of
« on: August 12, 2014, 08:39:26 AM »
While at my parents’, my mom’s dog ended up having to go to the vet to get a toe amputated.  This just happens to be the same vet’s office where I surrendered Pookie’s sister.  When we stopped by for an update on the dog’s condition (Mom had been told they would call when they’d finished the exam), we got to talk to the vet.  Guess what?  It’s the same vet that has Pookie’s sister, Bonnie.

At first she didn’t recognize me, then she remembered.  One of the first things she said was that Bonnie’s doing great and I could take her back if I wanted to.  ????

Apparently, she eats everything, she’s not on any meds, she’s very affectionate (I knew that, in fact I called her “Sweetie Girl” more than Bonnie, which was short for Ebony) and sleeps with the vet’s mother at night.  The dogs are all afraid of her except a pit bull that will lick her head.  She’s the only female cat and is a “tomboy” (which makes sense, as she lived with Pookie for the first 7 years of her life).  She is also overweight, though supposedly the vet doesn’t feed dry.

I asked about her food allergies, which was when she told me that Bonnie eats everything.  I also asked about the seizure that she’d had about a month after I gave her up, and the vet’s response was something like “it was just one of those things.”

I’m confused as to how a cat that couldn’t tolerate any food by the time I gave her up, and had a seizure that rendered her blind and unable to walk so that she was literally within an hour of being sent to the Bridge, can now be eating anything and doing so well.  I would really like to know what was wrong (or what I was doing wrong) but I understand that I probably never will.  I just have to be content with knowing that she’s able to eat (and keep it down), and she’s not on any meds.

I have to say, though, it threw me when she said I could take her back if I wanted.  For the record, as much as I love and miss her, I wouldn’t take her from a place where she’s doing well and (at least where the mother is concerned) cared for, esp. not knowing what was going on while she was with me.  I also wouldn’t want to take her away from the vet’s mother, assuming that she’s attached to Bonnie (even if the vet isn’t).  And if, heaven forbid, she ever had another seizure, she’s with someone who’s better able to help her than I am.  Plus, I don’t have the time or energy to reintroduce her to Pookie, and I think he’s gotten spoiled having me all to himself.   :)
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: Answers . . . sort of
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 06:45:35 PM »
I doubt YOU did anything wrong.  I don't remember the exact details, but...  isn't Pookie "proof," that it wasn't you?

I would GUESS the vet was caught off guard... so to speak... and just spit out whatever... telling you that you could take Bonnie back.  She probably wanted to kick herself... what if you said yes?  So she continued to tell you how well Bonnie was doing, the relationship with her mother, etc.  Hoping... as much as you love and miss her... you won't take her away from what she now knows.

You did what was best FOR Bonnie.  You gave her to someone that had the resources to help her. 

I would also guess that vet has probably never ever had a client love a pet enough... to let her go.  She doesn't know how to act, or what to say.
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 07:31:18 PM »
I dunno I'm too tired I guess, the whole thing sounds weird to me. but I didn't want to read and run.  Maybe I'll have an intelli9gnet comment to add tomorrow.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2014, 10:58:26 AM »
I doubt YOU did anything wrong.  I don't remember the exact details, but...  isn't Pookie "proof," that it wasn't you?

I don't know, Lola.  I used to wonder if the fact that he was male (e.g. different horomones, etc.) somehow made him healthier than his sister.  Or, having learned that not all littermates have the same daddy (their mother was a stray that a co-worker took in), perhaps they had different fathers so their genetics were partially different.   :-\

I could be remembering wrong, as it's been a while, but I was under the impression she'd taken other people's pets before.  Maybe those folks never followed up on their pet after they were surrendered, unlike me, who just wanted some answers.  What bothered me all these years is that, when I gave Bonnie up, the vet told me I could visit, or call or email to see how she was doing.  Well, I emailed, but she didn't say that she'd never (or hardly ever) reply.

Anyway, at least Bonnie's (supposedly) ok and not on any medications.  After 4 years of wondering, I've pretty much accepted that I'll never really know what was wrong.  It is what it is.  Wherever she is, in my heart, she'll always be mine.
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2014, 06:02:58 PM »
If I remember correctly... you had to make a pretty quick decision about how to save Bonnie's life.   
I could just say she is a nut, but I TRY to look for the good in people... or at least a reason for their actions.  ;)
I still stick to my theory that most people probably walk away... and never look back.  She probably gave the same song and dance to you and the others, BUT when you weren't the "norm" ...
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2014, 05:00:12 AM »
I think it would be wrong to take her from her home now.  What is that vet thinking, suggesting such a thing.  She's a whacko, but I think Bonnie must have a lovely safe life now. I hope that is some comfort anyway.

Tags: