Author Topic: Introduction to Rad Cat Raw 9-1-12  (Read 29098 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: Introduction to Rad Cat Raw 9-1-12
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2012, 07:22:00 AM »
Oh dear, something I did not anticipate.  Little Cat wants Rad Cat and Rad Cat only.  She does not want her Stella&Chewy's, she does not want her canned.  She wants RAD CAT. I think she might not eat more than 3-3.5 ounces a day.  MAYBE I could afford to feed only her exclusively.  If only there was a local source.

I called the store up near Albany today to arrange for a special order. For the same amount I paid when I ordered it on line I will be getting twice as much this way. That includes adding in the gas expense for driving 200 miles round trip. It will take a big chunk of my day off, but worth the savings. Once I see exactly how fast I go through this order, next time I may double up again, to save on so many driving trips. Even with the new freezer, I still have limited storage space, it doesn't hold very much.

But still...even with that..it's slightly beyond my means to feed her the Rad Cat full time. The above brings it down to about 90 cents an ounce. My cat food budget currently supports about $2 per cat, per day......so if I feed Little Cat only Rad Cat, she'd be costing about $4 a day, that's an extra $60 a month.

Oh man, I really am going to have to learn to make it myself, aren't I.  Sigh......

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2012, 08:37:23 AM »
You've probably already tried this, but I'll toss it out there anyway . . . Have you tried sprinkling treats on the canned or Stella & Chewy's?  I use the PureBites treats which are freeze-dried meat, and they come in duck, chicken and a couple other flavors.  I use the duck and chicken.  I just crumble them up and sprinkle on top of his food and it helps get him to eat.

If you mix the Rad Cat with the S&C or canned, will she eat any of the other food?  You've probably tried that, too, but I thought it couldn't hurt to ask.

They never make it simple for us, do they?  By the way, how's her weight?
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2012, 09:22:36 AM »
You've probably already tried this, but I'll toss it out there anyway . . . Have you tried sprinkling treats on the canned or Stella & Chewy's?  I use the PureBites treats which are freeze-dried meat, and they come in duck, chicken and a couple other flavors.  I use the duck and chicken.  I just crumble them up and sprinkle on top of his food and it helps get him to eat.

If you mix the Rad Cat with the S&C or canned, will she eat any of the other food?  You've probably tried that, too, but I thought it couldn't hurt to ask.

They never make it simple for us, do they?  By the way, how's her weight?

Thank you! Her weight dropped to 6 pounds 14 ounces 3 weeks ago and has stayed there, but she looks well filled out on that, so I am not going to push for those 2 ounces.  She is, after all over 2 now, and her metabolism will be slowing down soon.

Yep, last night I dusted a heavy dose of Forti Flora and Vets-Best hairball relief over the Stella&Chewy's and she ate it up. PureBites, eh?  Freeze dried, does that mean it is raw meat? I'll look for that and order some, thank you!

Oh I tried mixing the Rad Cat with the Stella&Chewy's, she picked out the Rad Cat and left the S&C.  You wouldn't think she'd be able to do that, I mixed it pretty well, but somehow, she did it. funny2

(I use the Vets-Best for Struvite Kitty's raw, too, though she is needing less and less of it, on the chicken.  She didn't seem to care for the forti flora)

Little Cat had her annual check up today.  Guess What. My vet was very supportive of the raw feeding! bananamiddlechild

Her only caution was to talk to me about toxomoplasis. In all her years she's only seen one case in raw fed cats, but felt duty bound to discuss the possibility, and symptoms to watch for, with me. On a more positive note she mentioned that she had seen a cat with terrible stomatitis be completely cured after being switched to a raw diet. I told her I knew a cat who had that happen, too.

(off topic for this thread but) We also talked about the possibility of PureVax rabies being approved as a three year vaccine, but she didn't feel that my state was close to that yet. And, she said, of course the pharmaceutical companies don't want that to happen anyway, an opinion I share. I love my vet.

Little Cat had her lamb for breakfast an hour before the vet visit. When we got home, after she traversed every corner of the apartment to make sure nothing had changed in her absence, she devoured twice as much canned food as she usually eats in one sitting.

PS I went ahead and ordered a bag of purebites chicken. I like the idea of using that rather than fortiflora or vets-best.  Thank you Pookie!

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2012, 03:42:02 PM »
I think the Pure-Bites are freeze-dried raw, but I'm not sure.  I like them because there's nothing else in them (the freeze-drying process preserves them) and they're made in the US.  I get the ones for dogs since they're the same but I find it's more economical since the ones for cats come in smaller bags than the ones for dogs.  I just break the larger treats into smaller treats for crumbling (or just as regular treats).

Oh I tried mixing the Rad Cat with the Stella&Chewy's, she picked out the Rad Cat and left the S&C.  You wouldn't think she'd be able to do that, I mixed it pretty well, but somehow, she did it. funny2

cryingfunny

Little Cat had her annual check up today.  Guess What. My vet was very supportive of the raw feeding! bananamiddlechild

AWESOME!   thumbsup1

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2012, 07:29:45 AM »
I think the Pure-Bites are freeze-dried raw, but I'm not sure.  I like them because there's nothing else in them (the freeze-drying process preserves them) and they're made in the US.  I get the ones for dogs since they're the same but I find it's more economical since the ones for cats come in smaller bags than the ones for dogs.  I just break the larger treats into smaller treats for crumbling (or just as regular treats).

cryingfunny

AWESOME!   thumbsup1

Thanks for the tip. I'd already ordered the cat size, but went back to check the dog ones.  That's a big package, 11 ounces compared to 1.05 ounces, I don't know..if I would go through that size fast enough. I'll see how they like them, and if they do I may try the dog size ones next time.

It's going better and better here!

Struvite Kitty has shown that she can't tolerate the lamb. Every time I try she brings it back up.However she likes the chicken so much I hardly need any garnish at all on it now. Just a token sprinkle.

This morning I tried her on turkey (.4 oz), and saw her get started (with a heavy dusting of Vets-Best) but then forgot to watch and see if she ate it all, though she was going at it with gusto at first. When I finally remembered to look Top Cat was licking the plate clean so I don't know if SK ate all of it or not. UGH!

I am now noticing a positive change in SK, with only one ounce of raw a day added to her canned diet: her weight is exactly the same, but her figure is better. She appears more muscular and she has a slight indent at her waist that she never had before. Her coat is so silky now, never have I seen it like this before. She asks to play and her Games are more lively, and are lasting slightly longer (she doesn't tire out as quickly)

Little Cat eats any Rad Cat I put in front of her. Top Cat is enjoying her gizzards/hearts very much. LC will taste a gizzard/heart but won't eat them. SK doesn't recognize them as food at all. I haven't tried offering them to her garnished though.

I bought some chicken thighs to cut up and freeze, to see how they like them.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2012, 10:32:52 AM »
wow1     You're doing great, MC!   thumbsup1 thumbsup1 clapping1 clapping1 clapping1 clapping1 clapping1

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2012, 12:57:35 PM »
Thanks Pookie!  I am beginning to understand the passion of raw feeders.   I never thought even just a small amount of raw added to a canned diet could make such a difference!

I'm wondering if the half ounce of gizzards, or hearts or (soon) chicken thigh meat that I am giving Top Cat should be supplemented with one of those "complete" supplements? (Like Call of The Wild or Alnutrin?)  She's still getting her canned food (slightly reduced, to account for the 21.5 calories in a half ounce of chicken gizzard). I don't think that little bit will detract from her daily nutrients enough to make a difference, but I don't know for sure, either.

And tell me what your take is on this:

As I got ready to cut up chicken thighs into one ounce pieces I wondered how ever was I going to freeze them so they didn't become one big frozen blob? I ran into that trouble with the gizzards/hearts, though I was able to smack and bang on the bag enough to separate them (then had to put them in a new bag without holes)

My eye fell upon the ice cube trays I use for Top Cat's pumpkin portions and a light bulb went on. Cut and weigh, put them in the cube tray until frozen enough to stay shaped, THEN put them in a freezer bag.

TA DA!

Is there any reason why it should not be done this way?

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2012, 01:36:48 PM »
Video of Top Cat enjoying her biggest chunk of gizzard yet

Click on picture to view video.  It's a bit over 2 minutes long, didn't take the time to edit it

Here's the short version  funny2 (it's just a still snipped from the video)

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2012, 04:04:46 PM »
Regarding supplementing, I personally don't think the amount of raw you're feeding is enough to skew the vitamins/mineral balance of the canned, so I think you're fine without supplementing.  Or to put it another way, I give Pookie gizzards/hearts or feeder mice as his bedtime snack, and I don't supplement since he's getting a full 5.5 oz can every day.  He seems to be fine that way (other than what I think are allergies to canned chicken).  To the folks who only raw feed, if we should be adding supplements, please let us know, but I tend to think the raw is "supplementing" the canned.   ;D

As for the ice cube trays for the cut up chicken, I think that's a GREAT idea!   clapping1 clapping1  I don't see why you can't do that.

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2012, 08:51:42 PM »
Awesome MC!!!   thumbsup1  DrLisaPiersonWorthy
I gotta get me some gizzards
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2012, 10:41:53 PM »
I'm really enjoying this thread, MC.  Thanks for sharing.   ;D

Shadow,
Our local grocery store only sells (sometimes) gizzards and hearts, in one package.  The dogs and cats prefer the hearts.  
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 10:44:22 PM by Lola »
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2012, 08:24:02 AM »
Thanks for your support everyone!  HeadButt HeadButt

I tricked SK cat this morning.  funny2 funny2

She's still asking for that token dusting of Vets-Best. I put her dish of Rad Cat chicken in front of her (un-dusted) and went on preparing the other two's meals. SK sniffed it and turned to me and said "Hey Mom, you forgot something".

.....heehee.

So, I took a small corner of a Vets-Best tablet, let her smell it, then pretended to dust her serving of Rad Cat chicken. And she ate it all up. WITHOUT the garnish. bananamiddlechild

I'm really enjoying this thread, MC.  Thanks for sharing.   ;D

Shadow,
Our local grocery store only sells (sometimes) gizzards and hearts, in one package.  The dogs and cats prefer the hearts.  

Here too.  Gizzards and hearts are sold in one package. They are very cheap. But I couldn't tell which was which.  Now that someone has described to me in detail, and with pictures, what each looks like, next time I will know.

Speaking of cost.  There IS cost that no one seems to mention, when they say you can raw feed a cat on 81 cents a day. The cost of clean supplies adds up. Every time I am working with raw, I keep the dish pan full of hot soapy water, and change it frequently.  That's a lot of dish soap I am going through. Dipping my hands in that hot soapy water every time I touch the raw food, then drying hands on a fresh paper towel. The paper towel expenditure is very high. Spraying everything down with Clorox anywhere multiple times a day.  More expense. The cost of the freezer bags, also, should be taken into consideration.

I am frantically looking for ways to cut back elsewhere, in order to continue doing this. I am pouring over my back credit card statements to track my spending habits, to figure out where I can be saving a few dollars here and there.  I am finding things, too.  For many years I lived penny to penny, and boy did I know how to live cheaply.  But as things got better for me I've fallen into the habit of getting something when I want it.  A new cd here.  Another season of a TV show on DVD there. A few books. A money order for $30 to someone in need.  A box full of canned cat food shipped to someone else. A little surprise gift to my niece who is a freshman in college far away from home. Picture frames at the dollar store. These are things I love being able to do, but some of it can be cut out. The cds, books, and dvds, anyway. And the picture frames!

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2012, 03:06:32 PM »
Can you use Vinegar instead of Bleach?
much more natural for cats and you too :)
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2012, 04:46:53 PM »
Can you use Vinegar instead of Bleach?
much more natural for cats and you too :)

I use vinegar for cleaning sometimes.....Does vinegar have the same bacteria killing effects as bleach? It's not any cheaper though.......In fact I was quite shocked at the price of white vinegar when I first started using it!

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #44 on: September 30, 2012, 08:25:47 PM »
Struvite kitty ate slivers of raw (frozen then thawed) chicken thigh!!! bananamiddlechild bananamiddlechild bananamiddlechild

The other two did too, but I expected they would like it.  I did not expect SK would.  It was only .05 ounce at a time, three little pieces.  The first serving she required a heavy  dusting of Vets-Best. The second serving I only put about 3 grains of V-B dust on each sliver and she ate them anyway.  WOW!

Tags: