Author Topic: First raw egg yolk, the girls say yum yum yummy!  (Read 1718 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
First raw egg yolk, the girls say yum yum yummy!
« on: January 13, 2013, 03:43:50 PM »
Well, it wasn't unanimous at first. TC and LC dove right in, SK took a sniff, a tentative lick, then walked away.

So, while TC and LC lapped with enthusiasm I got out the trusty Vet's-Best, called SK back over, let her smell the V-B in my fingers, then dusted just a tiny tiny bit over the yolk. She tried the yolk again, decided it was good after all, then licked her dish clean, even to licking all along the rim of the dish!

In the meantime LC had finished hers and was looking for more. TC had left a small yellow puddle in her dish, so I gave her a bit of Vet's-Best too. I think that's why she left some, because she smelled the V-B and knew if she left something in her dish, she'd get some V-B. JTC has me well trained.  Just to keep things fair, I gave LC some V-B too. :)

They each had about 1/3 of a yolk. bananamiddlechild

Click on picture to view video, it's in photobucket

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: First raw egg yolk, the girls say yum yum yummy!
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 09:35:03 PM »
Why are you adding raw egg yolk to their diet?
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, 10:23:02 AM »
Egg yolk is very nutritious.  Among other things, contains folate,  B-12, vitamin A and choline.  Reading in raw feeding forums, most PMR raw feeders give their cats an egg yolk twice a week.

Since PMR is only a small part of my cat's diet (1/4 or less a day) I don't worry TOO much about balance, especially because the Rad Cat portions exceed by far the AAFCO standards, but giving a little bit of egg yolk once or twice a week just gives me a little insurance that they are not lacking anything.

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 05:07:01 PM »
Egg yolk is very nutritious.  Among other things, contains folate,  B-12, vitamin A and choline.  Reading in raw feeding forums, most PMR raw feeders give their cats an egg yolk twice a week.

Since PMR is only a small part of my cat's diet (1/4 or less a day) I don't worry TOO much about balance, especially because the Rad Cat portions exceed by far the AAFCO standards, but giving a little bit of egg yolk once or twice a week just gives me a little insurance that they are not lacking anything.

I better clarify this.  I am very careful about balancing the meat/calcium/organ ratio, even with their small percentage of PMR.  What I meant was I don't worry overly much (by comparison to other things I worry about) about if they are getting enough of the other vitamins and minerals, since the raw meat and organ they eat is nutritious and the rest of their diet is from commercial foods, both raw and canned, already balanced.  The Rad Cat uses egg yolk, too. :)

I do supplement of course, with Krill oil (contains vitamin D) every other day and Vitamin E every fourth day and just starting with a Vitamin B complex supplement. 

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 07:30:45 PM »
Gotcha!   thumbsup1
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Tags: