Author Topic: Do Not Let Your Vet give your Cat Rimadyl  (Read 3143 times)

Offline The Kittens

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
  • Respect-The-Star...Violators-Will-Be-Hung
Do Not Let Your Vet give your Cat Rimadyl
« on: August 29, 2011, 06:54:46 PM »
For more information, as to why not, do a search for Rimadyl. Its an anti inflammatory.  Bump wanted the original story, in the Cat Health section, as it would be prescribed by a vetty, and he feels petty parents should be aware of the drug, in cases, their vetty tries to give it them. But it got moved so many times, he can't keep up with the change of address cards, which, he ain't happy about.  Takin on Bump, ain't, a goody idea.  >:(

Respect The Star.   nonono

flashbang pangif moon2 iwin survivorgif bumpgif

Adding a link to where your thread has been re-located to.  :) I was under the impression it was a dog med only (according to the article posted), so it made sense (in my pointed little head) to move it from the cat section to the dog section.  Wasn't trying to step on Bump's tail!   :-* 
http://parenting-furkids.com/index.php?topic=678.0
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 12:25:42 AM by Lola, Reason: Added link and explanation »

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: Do Not Let Your Vet give your Cat Rimadyl
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 08:22:10 PM »
The article that you posted, itself, is about rimadyl use in dogs. :)

I have not heard of Rimadyl being prescribed for cats.  It's not like metacam, which, unfortunately, is used off label in cats in the USA and is actually approved for use in cats in Europe and Canada (metacam/meloxicam I mean).

Posting a warning in the cat forum that people should question the vet if Rimadyl is prescribed for their cat, absolutely. Rimadyl should NOT be given to cats as an oral pain medication, ever.

Offline The Kittens

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 08:34:37 PM »
Bump feels, any medication, prescribed by a vetty, one should ask, what is this supposed to accomplish, what is the med for, how safe is it, and what should one look for, as in, what are possible side effects or reactions. Most importantly, if one has a heart kitty, one "has" to be very responsible and diligent. Some meds given a normal kitty, will kill, a heart kitty. It is your responsibility, to always, ask.  Never accept, I don't know, or probably, make them look it up.  Tell them, its better to take a few minutes of their time, than to have to hire an agent.
Why they ask? Cause your gonna need one, when your shown, on CNN. That, plus Bump said so.  >:(

Respect The Star

thumbsup1 Bumpurr1 TexasFlag iwin bumpgif   

Offline The Kittens

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 06:33:46 PM »
MOL  :P

Rimadyl is also known as Carprofen, and Lola is correct, it SHOULD NOT be given to cats, but, in some cases, it is, and Bump wanted all kitty parents to know, to NEVER let your vet prescribe Rimadyl or Carprofen or Novox to kitties.   nonono nonono nonono nonono nonono nonono nonono nonono

I do believe, in some of the comments, which who knows where the heckola, mol, that post is, mol, that some peoples did mention, it was given to their kitties, which did not turn out so good, which, is why, Bump wanted all his goody buddies on here, to know about Rimadyl.   :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

At cat shows, the cages in the judges ring, are 22 inches by 22 inches.  Fine for the average cat, but the big Bump, at 17 lbs, and a big built boy, fills it up.  When the judges take the kitties out of the cages, to judge, they whip them around, kinda like a top, so the back end of the cat, is towards the cage door, and the judges take them out backwards. 

This is fine for the average sized cat, but your not going to whip a big built 17 lb cat around, and there is no room in the cage, to really even do this.  Bump swatted at one judge who tried to do this, the judge slammed the door shut and said owner. I took him out front wards, I put his paws on my shoulder, he knows this, and he climbs into my arms. I told the judge, thats what ya get, for trying to spin him around. Bump still made the final.  After that, they started taking him out front wards.  Lola best keep, that in mind, mol, mol, mol.  :P  :D

Bump loves his buddy Lola, mol.  :-* thumbsup1 Bumpurr1 TexasFlag bumpgif

Respect The Star.       

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 10:37:55 PM »

I do believe, in some of the comments, which who knows where the heckola, mol, that post is, mol, that some peoples did mention, it was given to their kitties, which did not turn out so good, which, is why, Bump wanted all his goody buddies on here, to know about Rimadyl. 

Your original post is here:

I won't me moving it again...if you paid me.   :-*

Funny about Bump swatting at the judge.  Some kitties can pack a punch! 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 11:53:15 PM »
Ok so Shadow goes to the Vet next week, how am I supposed to remember all these things that she is not supposed to have? What if they precribe something for her? (She is going in for her clicking when she walks)
Are these drugs antiinflamatorys?
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2011, 01:08:51 AM »
Ok so Shadow goes to the Vet next week, how am I supposed to remember all these things that she is not supposed to have? What if they precribe something for her? (She is going in for her clicking when she walks)

THAT always crosses my mind, when I read something a member has posted.  For a regular vet visit, I would probably be okay because my vet stays up to date on so much.  But in an emergency...  YIKES!

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2011, 07:31:27 AM »

Rimadyl is an anti inflammatory pain medication, yes.  So is metacam.  Both are approved for use in dogs, but vets are using metacam off label in cats. Metacam causes acute kidney failure in cats

How you remember is, you make a list.  Make a list of the things you want to go over with the vet, any questions you may have, specific symptoms Shadow is exhibiting, and so on. This way you don't forget.

It's also helpful to write the answers down.  It helps you remember, helps you understand, and gives you a reference sheet for later when you've forgotten what was discussed.

Shadow should have blood work prior to any pain medication being prescribed.

Two things to ask your vet about are adequan injections and laser therapy.  Both are effective treatments for arthritis in cats.  Laser therapy goes beyond arthritis though, and is really a wonderful thing.

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/adequan.html

http://www.companiontherapylaser.com/

Offline The Kittens

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2011, 12:03:20 PM »
Somewhere, in here, mol, there is a post, of the "comments" of the Rimadyl article.  I had to split the article, and the comments people made, because it said I exceded the amount of characters, mol. It started in the Cat Health Section, mol, but I don't know where it got moved to, mol.  :P

In the comments people made, some did mention, it was given to their cat, the outcome, was not good.   :'(

I don't know why, but the baddy stuff names, I tend to remember, maybe because of all that I went thru with Bump, when he was a kitten, I "had" to know, and I "had" to remember.  thumbsup1

When Bump was diagnosed at 10 months, and I was first told, he would not live past 1 yr, to which I replied, F that S, find me another cardiologist, and he is going to be the first one that makes it, so start your book now, and the very long quest began, to gather information, from vets, breeders, the Winn Foundation, etc.

My mind was spinning, with all the information. My vet said to get a notebook, write down what information you found out, what information I give you, and what your questions are. I do that to this day, like Middle Child said.  

When I have an issue, that the vet needs to follow up on with me. I write down all my questions, so when she calls, I don't have to remember, and, I write down what she said.  I also write down all my questions ahead of time, when I have to go in.

Was going to ask her today, about Rimadyl, had to take Smokey in as an emergency this morn, they had to stitch her up, but figured, since they had to fit me in, and all that we had to deal with this morn, better to wait until Friday, have to take Cruiser in for his FVRCP booster shot, not so much drama, so will ask her then. Will put up a post about what happened this morn, and best of all, no doggies tried to get her in the waiting room, mol, which she don't like doggies, just little ones in there, and very well behaved owners.  I am home with her today.  :-*        

« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 01:01:35 PM by Lola, Reason: removed the massive EMPTY space »

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2011, 01:03:15 PM »
Somewhere, in here, mol, there is a post, of the "comments" of the Rimadyl article.  I had to split the article, and the comments people made, because it said I exceded the amount of characters, mol. It started in the Cat Health Section, mol, but I don't know where it got moved to, mol.  :P

Are ya blind?  I've reposted the link, to your post, a handful of times!   

Bumpurr1

Offline The Kittens

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter