Author Topic: No More After First "Round" Of Vaccinations, Boosters, Etc?  (Read 1755 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Thoughts?

I'm referring to indoor only cats.

The info isn't for me.  I'm just trying to get a general rule of thumb.

EDIT:  Edited because...different situations, DO call for different answers. 
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 01:03:20 PM by Lola »
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
Re: No More After First "Round" Of Vaccinations, Boosters, Etc?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 12:40:55 PM »
I was just going to start a thread on this, lol! Since I may get a kitten soon I am concerned about my Shadow. She got all her vaccinations for the first 3 years or so of her life, not rabies as that is not the law here. She had really bad reactions to the vaccines. She also developed an auto immune disorder, so when she was one years old she had to have all her teeth removed, except her fangs. I am thinking of getting Shadow an antibody Titer before adding a kitten.
I think if your cats are all indoors then a Titer would be something to do.
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2014, 01:01:05 PM »
When a new pet joins the family, I always do a full "round" of everything... unless given proof of previous vaccinations. 
I used to do nothing, after that.  Except...I had (to me) a weak moment, and had two fully re-vaccinated not very long ago. 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 01:37:49 PM »
I was just going to start a thread on this, lol! Since I may get a kitten soon I am concerned about my Shadow. She got all her vaccinations for the first 3 years or so of her life, not rabies as that is not the law here. She had really bad reactions to the vaccines. She also developed an auto immune disorder, so when she was one years old she had to have all her teeth removed, except her fangs. I am thinking of getting Shadow an antibody Titer before adding a kitten.
I think if your cats are all indoors then a Titer would be something to do.

Given Shadow's reactions and the fact that she has an auto-immune disorder, I WOULD NOT vaccinate.  Titer, yes, but I wouldn't vaccinate.  Vaccines are only to be used in healthy pets, and it says so on the label.  They are NOT to be given to pets with chronic or acute health issues.

In your case, what you could do if you get a kitten is, after the health check, vaccinate the kitten (if that hasn't already been done), and if possible, keep the kitten in a separate room for a couple of weeks so the vaccine can take effect.  That also will give Shadow time to get used to the sounds and smells of the new kitten without actually having direct exposure to the kitten.  Then, over time, when you feel it's safe (or after the next vet visit), you can introduce them to each other.

As to Lola's original question, if I could go back to when I brought home Pookie and Bonnie, I would only do the first (and maybe 2nd) round of shots and that would be it.  And I would spread out those shots instead of doing combination vaccines.  And I would DEFINITELY raise royal h-ll if the vet attempted to give the shot in the back of the neck, like mine did.

The problem with this, though, is that almost every state requires rabies vaccinations, and trying to find a vet who will work with you, and not over-vaccinate, can be VERY difficult.  If you can find a vet that will accept rabies titers, and not vaccinate as long as the titer shows immunity, then that's the most ideal situation, IMO.

If you HAVE to show proof of rabies (e.g. if your town requires a license for your cat), then do the non-adjuvant rabies.  And then follow Dr. Jean's tips for reducing vaccine reactions.

All of this is just my  2cents
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2014, 10:58:20 AM »
Ok I have a stupid question, when kittens get their vaccinations are they not shedding those viruses at first? 
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Tags: