Author Topic: Cat With Kidney Failure  (Read 2857 times)

Offline Mo

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
Cat With Kidney Failure
« on: May 23, 2012, 08:47:57 PM »
I have some idea's...but then I started wondering at what point of kidney failure do you actually have to start restricting protein?  What do you all think (this is a message from my friend):

know anything about diets for cats with kidney failure?

we found out today that blackie has kidney failure :(

he only has 30% of function yet.

they said to give him to special wet food they sell which is two dollars a can!

basically he is supposed to be low salt and low proteind

or rather "good" protein which the vet did not really clarify no dry food.

we've been feeding him wet food for a while cause we knew something was wrong, but those labels are so vague

and no i'm still not going to be able to convince my parent to feed him straight meat, and not sure that would be so good for him considering they want me avoiding meat cause of my kidney failure

do you know any canned food that is low in salt and protein? or rather has good protein? thanks!

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: Cat With Kidney Failure
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 07:37:25 AM »
It's the quality of the protein that matters, not "low protein".  Feed a canned diet that does not contain ANY grains or other fillers. Sub q fluids can greatly improve quality of life, and even extend life for quite some time. Be sure to have the thyroid checked.

Frequent small meals are better than two large meals.  Nausea can be a problem, pepcid ac can help with that (1/4 of a 10 mg tablet, but discuss with vet before using) B-12 injections can help with appetite, also.  These are given sub q and can be done at home.

If they really want to stick with lower protein foods..Halo Spots Stew, grain free,  is much lower in protein than most commercial canned foods. I don't know the sodium content though.

Offline Gump and Co

• Yapper
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 01:13:39 PM »
Gump also has kidney disease and probably has about 30% kidney function or less (he'll be 18 in a week and he's hanging in there pretty well...knock paws on wood). It used to be more commonly called 'kidney failure', but now it's also called kidney disease as some cats can live for years with reduced kidney function with supportive treatment (sq fluids, diet, other supplements, and frequent monitoring and bloodwork). But ECID (every cat is different) and the disease is generally progressive. You probably already know all that, but just wanted to mention it. 30% or less kidney function sounds bad, but someone recently mentioned that some people live their whole lives with only one kidney.

I am more concerned about the phosphorus content of the food than the amount of protein. Actually restricting protein too much can be detrimental - protein is needed for cellular repair and energy, etc. I recently read an article by a well respected vet who says that older cats protein requirements increase as they age. The protein thing is a debatable topic, and some still focus on protein, but the phosphorus content isn't controversial and feeding lower phosphorus food is beneficial. I focus more on finding foods with lower phosphourus (meat does contain phosphorus and you need to find out the levels of different canned foods) and lower sodium.  I wouldn't want to feed super high protein, but some good quality protein is essential. The list at felinecrf.org (http://www.felinecrf.org/canned_food_usa.htm) is pretty comprehensive and shows levels of phosphorus, sodium, protein etc of different foods. There are some better quality 'non rx' canned foods that also fit the bill and may have better quality protein with lower phosphorus content. Organix, some of the Merrick varieties and some of the Evo 95% come to mind and are pretty good.

If your friend wants to feed a 'kidney diet' and is concerned about the cost, there is one called Hi-Tor Neo which is less expensive, but you usually have to order it online because it's not found often in vet offices and other stores.

Good info also at felineoutreach.org, Lynette Ackman's blog, and the feline crf sites are also good and discuss the benefits of restricted protein and rx diets.(felinecrf.org and felinecrf.com)

Here's a quote from an informative CRF article at holisticat.com (http://www.holisticat.com/crf.html):

..."In the past, it was believed that a low protein diet was essential in controlling CRF. The idea behind this was to supposedly cut down on the kidneys' load. However, studies done on dogs in renal failure, show that a low protein diet did not help said dogs. Since cats have an even higher protein requirement than dogs, it seems unlikely that they could thrive (or even properly exist) on low protein diets.
As an obligate carnivore, they need the nutrients only available from meat. My personal (and I like to think, informed) opinion is that cats with CRF should eat the same food that other healthy cats eat. Please check the references especially 9 and 10 for more arguments for feeding CRF cats a diet high in protein.
Cats are unique when it comes to diet. In all cats, their high protein requirement is due to high activity of hepatic enzymes which are responsible for ureagenesis i.e. the conversion of ammonia to urea in the liver. Cats do not have the ability to decrease the activity of these hepatic enzymes.
So it is dangerous to feed them a low protein diet as their bodies break down proteins via through the urea cycle on a continual basis regardless of the amount of protein fed.  If cats do not get protein from diet, they will suffer from muscle wasting as their bodies will literally try to utilize protein internally.
Please do not deprive your cat of valuable protein (from real meat)!  That said, only in very late stages of kidney failure, one can consider this purely for palliative relief from symptoms of uremia and azotemia.
There are several mouse studies all of which have found a positive relationship between protein and amount of "erythropoietic units" in spleen cells. Cats on a raw diet (at least 95% meat, including organs and bones) do not typically develop the muscle wasting or anemia commonly seen in cats with CRF because adequate protein amounts provide their body's basic building block not the least of which is RBC production.
The bottom line is that protein must come from an animal source, and must be of highest quality i.e. not primarily beaks, feathers, fur, claws, etc, just what comes with a whole bird/animal. The food should be digestible i.e. utilized by the cat's body so the kidneys do not have to process colors and preservatives such as dyes, BHA, BHT, etc...."

I have also found that slippery elm bark (herb) is an alternative to pepcid-ac for helping with nausea and excess stomach acid. I mix it with water and syringe it. You can try to mix it in the food, but Gump seems to be bothered by the taste. It's a powder that you can find in some health stores (I found it at Whole Foods) and online. SEB is also recommended by some more conventional sites like felinecrf.org.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 01:21:04 PM by Gump and Co »

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 03:51:34 PM »
 wow1 clapping1 clapping1 clapping1

Great post, Gump!
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 05:48:30 PM »
I second what Pookie said!  LOADS of helpful info.  Thanks Gump for sharing. 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Mo

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2012, 05:55:11 PM »
Thanks Gump & MC!!!

Offline FurMonster Mom

• Charter Member
  • Gabster
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2012, 02:12:01 PM »
Excellent post, Gump.   thumbsup1 thumbsup1

I agree with Gump that phosphorus control is more important for cats with CRF, along with "good" protein (not from soy!).
One way to reduce phosphorus intake while maintaining good protein level is to feed cooked egg whites as a substitute/supplement for part of the meal.

As a last resort, there are also pharmaceutic phosphorus binders that you can ask your vet about.  They essentially "bind" the phosphorus so that it is not processed and passes through the system.  I would be very cautious if you go this route, as the body still needs phosphorus for other functions, so you don't want to bind so much that the body doesn't get any.
meow meow meow meow meow meow? -woof!
Translation: "I can has my raw food? -please!"

Tags: kidney failure CRF