Author Topic: Documentary about the Pet food Industry (Pet Fooled)  (Read 6025 times)

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
Documentary about the Pet food Industry (Pet Fooled)
« on: August 13, 2012, 03:59:41 PM »
If you would like to support this documentary here is the link for info
http://www.indiegogo.com/petfooled

Pet Fooled is a documentary exploring the underbelly of the pet food industry. As a business that appears to be largely unregulated and controlled by a conglomerate of companies, this film will take an inside look at whether the nutrition we feed our pets is actually good for them. After the dramatic 2007 pet food recall that left thousands of pets dead- a news event that most likely didnt make your headline news- a time has come when this industry needs investigated; held accountable for the injustice that is packaged and sold on a daily basis
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Offline FurMonster Mom

• Charter Member
  • Gabster
Re: Documentary about the Pet food Industry (Pet Fooled)
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 05:05:05 PM »
Just watched the trailer.  Looks promising.

At the end of the trailer, there is an e-mail contact.... just puttin' that out there   :D
meow meow meow meow meow meow? -woof!
Translation: "I can has my raw food? -please!"

Offline CarnivorousCritter

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 07:18:13 PM »
Gonna encourage them to expose the REASONS they have been immune to consequence despite the recalls:  All the people in their pockets who are their protection.  

Even after people saw A Dog's Breakfast with DRs Hodgkins & Smart, they still wouldn't doubt their trusted vets when it came to their pets "needing" the  "prescription" food fraud scam and being told dry food cleans teeth, etc.  

Just a draft -- here's some of what I'm gonna mail him.   Know much is missing,  anyone like to add any more suggestions?  Will compile it all, try to make it more concise, & send it:

First, look at who OWNS Banfield, one of the largest McVeterinarian chains in the world: http://www.mars.com/global/index.aspx
And we wonder why Royal Canin food is referred to as "Royal Recall" on pet message forums while it remains one of the most popular fruadelently "prescribed" foods by veterinarians?   How can there be accountability with such a blatant conflict of interest?  

Quote:  
In 2007, Banfield joined the Mars family of businesses, and together we work to ensure pets receive the highest level of care so they can live longer, healthier lives. Today, Banfield is more than 770 hospitals strong, with the common goal of providing high-quality medicine for each pet we treat and working alongside our clients to ensure they have the resources they need to care for their pets at home.
Translation:  Yeah, keep up-selling them garbage so that they are SURE to be frequent customers!!

http://leda.law.harvard.edu/leda/data/784/Patrick06.html

Veterinarians speaking up:  

http://www.petmd.com/blogs/fullyvetted/2007/june/how-do-vets-recommend-pet-food-part-1-industry#.UCmKJo7FVyl

http://www.petmd.com/blogs/fullyvetted/2007/june/how-do-vets-recommend-pet-food-part-2-education#.UCmKRI7FVyl

http://www.petmd.com/blogs/fullyvetted/2007/june/how-do-vets-recommend-pet-food-part-3-practice#.UCmKaY7FVyl

Dr Michael W Fox, aka "The Animal Doctor"
http://advocacy.britannica.com/blog/advocacy/2009/07/conflicts-of-interest-in-the-veterinary-profession/
Proof -- before & after pictures of peoples' cats due to diet changes from "vet recommended" to species-appropriate:
wwww.parenting-furkids.com/index.php?topic=539.0  

www.meowmeowmom.wordpress.com/2007/08/11/ralph/

Here is a very long thread spanning several years -- peoples' veterinarians selling the clients species-inappropriate foods containing ingredients in cereal form which CAUSED the blockages in the first place, and selling them surgeries for thousands of dollars to make holes bigger while factual information which has been provided continues to go ignored due to people trusting their veterinarians:   wwww.city-data.com/forum/cats/649645-perineal-urethrostomy-p-u-surgery-cats-15.html

Look at allll these people told by Purina that (Purina) has received NO complaints -- hundreds of heart-breaking accounts to go through, from this year alone -- many of whom had to find the info on the Internet despite vet visits!  wwww.consumeraffairs.com/pets/ralston.html

Want to know how much Ralston pumps into the Veterinary Association and the Universities each year   Do a google search and your head will spin from all the results. How about $$  which this company shells out to the mainstream mediot networks in advertising as well -- this is so that people can be aware if Charlie Sheen picked his nose more than once (or not) today, beings  News Journalism has been DEAD since the 1990s, it's all about special interests and setting records for how many keywords can be repeated over and over in any given half hour.

Here's what my own dog was "prescribed" by a so-called "professionals":  wwww.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/showproduct.php?product=1077&cat=7

Here is the corrupt veterinary association being exposed, on their own website,  by over a thousand people who are educated regarding the poison which veterinarians pass off as dog & cat "food". http://atwork.avma.org/2012/07/18/the-facts-on-avmas-proposed-policy-on-raw-pet-food-diets/  http://atwork.avma.org/2012/08/03/house-of-delegates-wrap-up-the-vote-on-the-proposed-raw-animal-source-protein-policy-resolution-5/

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 07:26:09 PM »
Also gonna ask if he has a lawyer -- maybe that lawyer will prove in a court of Law that our pets are carnivores when the PFI, mainstream mediots and Vets do everything in their power to discredit and suppress this information, like they did with A Dog's Breakfast.

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2012, 07:41:07 PM »
MOL!!! whoa CC I knew this one was going to get ya going!!
Slow down... I would not send to much info, or it will just get overlooked, (way too  much to read).
I would do a few comments in point form, then maybe a few links.
I bet they are getting inundated  with emails.

Offline FurMonster Mom

• Charter Member
  • Gabster
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2012, 07:51:26 PM »
Here is the note I sent, and the reply I received:

MY NOTE:

Dear Mr. Fossat,

First I'd like to say I applaud your efforts in making your documentary.  I hope it gets the exposure it needs.
Next, I apologize for using my "Furmonster" hotmail, but it is the address I dedicated to all things pet related.  lol.

I do have a question for you...  In all your interviews, have you consulted with any real animal scientists, ie. zoologists, animal biologists, taxonomists?
The reason I ask is because many people consider veterinarians the be all/end all of information on animals.
The truth is (as you may have already discovered), vet schools are highly subsidized by the pet food and pharma industries.  Consequently, veterinarians are taught animal nutrition by pet food representatives; and they are taught about illnesses by pharmaceutical representatives.
These two industries have their own agenda... I'm sure you can figure out what it is.
Zoologists, taxonomists and true animal biologists, are usually less biased (if they are not working in one of those other industries).  These are the people who have studied animals as a whole, and who will give the straight scoop on their physiology, and their nutritional needs.

I am bookmarking your project in the hopes that my finances will allow me to contribute before time runs out.
Regardless, I wish you all possible success in this endeavor.

Sincerely,
Mrs. (FMM)

PS
I, too, have my own pet food story.
The long and short of it; in 2008, a raw diet pulled my 4 year old cat from death's door.

HIS RESPONSE:

HELLO MRS (FMM).

Yes, indeed, the vet world's connection to the pet food industry is way to similar to the one doctors have with pharmaceutical companies.
We only interview a couple vets for the film, as they tent to be completely ignorant, but we did meet with several nutritionist, one of them who worked for the Chicago zoo for many years. We have already interviewed the FDA, AAFCO, the Pet Food Institute, its already been a long journey, and like you, my dog is now on a raw diet, and she is doing amazing as well, never had this much energy.
Thank you for your email, and let me know if you ever have any questions,
Cheers,
Michael.

Looks to me like he is on the right track.   thumbsup1 thumbsup1 thumbsup1

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2012, 07:56:42 PM »
Great letter FMM......I hope he  understands that not all vets are this way though. As in the video it did mention Dr. Elizabeth Hodgkins when it all went to court about the recalls.

Offline FurMonster Mom

• Charter Member
  • Gabster
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2012, 07:59:16 PM »
 My thought is to follow up with a few links to some of our more respected vets; Hodgkins, Becker, et al.... unless you'd like to do that.   :D

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2012, 08:08:34 PM »
My thought is to follow up with a few links to some of our more respected vets; Hodgkins, Becker, et al.... unless you'd like to do that.   :D
Since you have already emailed him, you should do it. :)
there are alot of vets out there like Dr. H, but her story is special and unique ;)

looks like he has another documentry he may do...looks interesting, cant wait to see that one ;o

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2012, 09:02:16 PM »
 clapping1 clapping1 clapping1 FurMonsterMom!!  

MOL!!! whoa CC I knew this one was going to get ya going!!
Slow down...

Different personal experiences are going to incite different reactions, I guess.  

Going by his nice response ( & "Cheers")  to FMM, appears he is from the UK.   HeadButt :-*    

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2012, 09:46:04 PM »
clapping1 clapping1 clapping1 FurMonsterMom!!  

Different personal experiences are going to incite different reactions, I guess.  

Going by his nice response ( & "Cheers")  to FMM, appears he is from the UK.   HeadButt :-*    

I understand CC ((((hugs)))

he is from the southern state FLA  (oops I meant the director).   The producer not sure, I think Calif.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 09:48:44 PM by Shadow »

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2012, 11:08:21 PM »
Great letter, FMM.
CC, Send yours.  The more info...the better!
The majority of vets are NOT Hodgkins, Pierson, etc. types.  It is sickening. 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Tags: pet fooled