Author Topic: Ready to shop for meat  (Read 1682 times)

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
Ready to shop for meat
« on: February 25, 2013, 03:56:04 PM »
Just got back from a grocery store that I have never been to. (We are new in this part of town)
It is owned by Asians, so there is a lot of different meats.  :o
So now I need someone to tell me what to buy, lol! then I will be on my way.
They had good prices on chicken liver, beef liver, chicken hearts, beef hearts, Turkey necks??
and what the heck is Beef Omasum?? I googled it but that doenst tell me if its appropriate for felines.
Oh and they had goat, though it was frozen. Why do they not sell game hens unfrozen??
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Offline Mo

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
Re: Ready to shop for meat
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 06:10:21 PM »
Just got back from a grocery store that I have never been to. (We are new in this part of town)
It is owned by Asians, so there is a lot of different meats.  :o
So now I need someone to tell me what to buy, lol! then I will be on my way.
They had good prices on chicken liver, beef liver, chicken hearts, beef hearts, Turkey necks??
and what the heck is Beef Omasum?? I googled it but that doenst tell me if its appropriate for felines.
Oh and they had goat, though it was frozen. Why do they not sell game hens unfrozen??

I'd personally skip the turkey necks because those are typically to big for cats to be able to eat, but the rest (chicken/beef liver, chicken/beef heart) I'd get.  Beef omasum = tripe (it is one of the four chambers of a cows stomach) but my guess is that it was probably bleached.  You can feed raw "green" tripe and it is actually very good...though most people think it stinks horribly.  Bleached "white" tripe I wouldn't feed, there is no nutritional value to it at that point.

Tags: