Author Topic: 10 Things to NOT say to your vet  (Read 1633 times)

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
10 Things to NOT say to your vet
« on: April 16, 2013, 10:56:18 AM »
Stumbled on this and thought I'd share:

http://shine.yahoo.com/pets/10-things-not-vet-131700761.html

I was waiting to see "I feed raw" on the list, along with "I don't believe in over-vaccinating."   :D
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: 10 Things to NOT say to your vet
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 11:46:19 AM »
LOL...I think I'm sort of guilty of #7--specifically "What makes this a more favorable choice than the ____ you gave him last time?"

I found that 10 Common Pet Disorders That Vet's Dread the Most link within that article very interesting too! Seems to me that several of those are illnesses/conditions that I've heard were caused by food and vaccination issues?????
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline FurMonster Mom

• Charter Member
  • Gabster
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 02:02:25 PM »
I'd have to take some issue with #9...

...what you feed isn't necessarily relevant....

This is where vets fail to realize that when people ARE monitoring portions, and their pets are still overweight, it is indeed the food that is the culprit.
meow meow meow meow meow meow? -woof!
Translation: "I can has my raw food? -please!"

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 02:18:45 PM »
I found that 10 Common Pet Disorders That Vet's Dread the Most link within that article very interesting too! Seems to me that several of those are illnesses/conditions that I've heard were caused by food and vaccination issues?????

http://www.vetstreet.com/our-pet-experts/the-top-ten-common-pet-disorders-this-veterinarian-dreads-most?WT.mc_id=cc_yahoo

I didn't even see that!  Yes, you're right:  Allergies, elimination disorders, feline idiopathic cystitis, probably the feline stomatitis and obesity can be or are diet-related.  I really loved this part  ::):

Obesity
You’d think it would be easy to explain to an owner that a fat pet needs fewer calories and more exercise, but this is one area in which owners need lots of explanation, support and patience from their veterinarians.

The fact that so many owners don’t heed our advice is why so many among us sigh deeply when we see a portly pet. Can you really blame us?

What I'd really like it to say:

You'd think it would be easy to explain to a vet that a fat pet needs to get off the dry food and on a grain-free canned or raw diet, but this is one area in which vets need lots of explanation, support and patience from their patients.

The fact that so many vets don't heed our advice is why so many among us sigh deeply when we hear vets sing the praises of kibble.  Can you really blame us?

Bumpurr1
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 02:40:04 PM by Pookie »
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 02:43:17 PM »

The fact that so many vets don't heed our advice is why so many among us sigh deeply when we hear vets sing the praises of kibble.  Can you really blame us?

You have NO idea how hard it was to not hug that new vet when he told me, "Noooo...those kinds of fruits and vegetables won't hurt them. It's GOOD for them! But I'd still prefer if you gave them a multi-vitamin if you're going to be making their breakfast and dinner yourself." Well heck. I have no problem with that! So they get it. I just order this kind when I order the coconut oil: http://www.vitacost.com/dancing-paws-daily-multi-vitamin-and-mineral-for-dogs & give it with the glucosamine and N-zymes.

HE is someone I can compromise with, without leaving the office feeling like punching someone in the face for scoffing at our beliefs, or for not listening when I say, "This research said..." "HER" not so much. I ask for him now since he saw Vlad that first time when he was 5 mths old.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Tags: