Author Topic: ABC Story on Gourmet Dog Food  (Read 2244 times)

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
ABC Story on Gourmet Dog Food
« on: August 08, 2013, 11:11:58 AM »
I caught the tail end of this (no pun intended) last night:  http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/video/store-brand-gourmet-dogs-eat-19899645  (you may need to click on "See More" to see the full transcript)

I did catch this part:

But does that make Lucky Dog any better than the mass produced supermarket brands?  We asked Maryann Nestle who wrote a book about pet nutrition. Her conclusion, not necessarily.  "From a nutritional standpoint it doesn't make any difference at all.  Many pet owners will argue that where the ingredients come from is a very important distinction, but there is no research to speak of that compares premium high end fancy ingredient pet foods from the normal run-of-the-mill kind."

:'( bangshead bangshead bangshead  Seriously?  And I guess there's no difference between fast food and, say, filet mignon when it comes to quality or nutrition?  Where the ingredients come from doesn't matter????  And WHY do we need "research" to confirm what common sense tells us?  AUGH!!   bangshead bangshead
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: ABC Story on Gourmet Dog Food
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 12:49:18 PM »
Where the ingredients come from doesn't matter???? 

You're forgetting the age-old mantra: "It's just a dog."

The so-called journalists that write this drivel actually believe that just like so many others in the world.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 02:41:55 PM »
BTW...they didn't interview Barkly--the only finicky Corgi on earth.

He needs a new word in the dictionary just for him. Any ideas for me to turn in to Webster's next New Word list?

"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline FurMonster Mom

• Charter Member
  • Gabster
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 05:37:09 PM »
Are they really trying to make a freakin taste test into some kind of scientific argument for whether a food is healthy?

seriously?
meow meow meow meow meow meow? -woof!
Translation: "I can has my raw food? -please!"

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2013, 02:57:07 AM »
I was thinking the SAME thing, the one pet owner said!  Their unscientific food tasting test is no different than putting ice cream or broccoli in front of a kid.  At least they had the decency to say it was unscientific.

The makers of the "food for dogs" (rather than dog food) were pretty funny.  I didn't catch all the ingredients they included, but I would buy their food, before Purina anything. 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Tags: