Non Species Specific Furkid Topics > Reaching One Furkid Parent At A Time...

The Mighty Hunter is BACK!

(1/5) > >>

Pookie:
When I'm home I leave the basement door open so Pookie can explore and "hunt."  I haven't seen or heard any mice in the house for most of the winter (which shocked me, since we had the Polar Vortex in all it's glory  ::)), and now that it's warming up a little, I figured the mice would be back in the fields and woods.

So I'm getting his "3rd dinner" warmed up and see him walk under the daybed.  Since I've been leaving my bedroom door open when I'm home, I assUmed he'd been up there enjoying the perks of being in Mommy's room.  WRONG.  He didn't come out from under the daybed, like normal, so I lifted the cover and saw something in his mouth.  At first I thought it was one of his toys, because most of it was in his mouth.  Then I got a better look.

Yep.  He caught a mouse.  Greaaattttt . . .

I grabbed a container and lid, thinking I'd wait until he put it down to play, then I'd catch and dispose of it or release it in the woods if it was still alive.  Nope.  He walked around with it (with me following), went back under the daybed, and that was the last I saw of Mr. Mouse because Pookie ate it.    :o

I guess he just couldn't wait for his 3rd dinner.   funny2  Or maybe that was the appetizer?  Because after he ate it, he came out and started asking for his 3rd dinner.   ::) 

I guess Darwin was right.  What mouse is going to be inside when it's spring?  If they think it's safer in my basement, they're in for a surprise.

Lola:
Congrats?   Bumpurr1

Could you hear crunching sounds? 

Is there anything you have to worry about, with Pookie eating mice?  Worms or... ?

Pookie:
Thanks?   :D

Didn't hear anything, but saw him sort of chewing on it before I quickly dropped the cover and turned away.   :-X

As for worms . . . I have NO idea . . . I'm hoping since cats usually eat mice in the wild, that worms aren't really an issue.  fingerscrossed

Middle Child:
Cats who eat mice in the wild have worms, unless they own humans who de-worm them regularly.  If Pookie has a strong immune system, one mouse might not be too much of an issue, but of course I'm not really an expert.

I know that cats who go out (free roaming) it is recommended that they be de-wormed every three months.

PS I forgot to mention how much I enjoyed the story!

DeeDee:

--- Quote from: Pookie on April 25, 2014, 04:45:20 PM ---As for worms . . . I have NO idea . . . I'm hoping since cats usually eat mice in the wild, that worms aren't really an issue.  fingerscrossed

--- End quote ---

Ummmm ... http://cats.about.com/cs/zoonoticdiseases/a/catsandmice.htm

Besides Toxoplasmosis there's the Hantavirus that's quite often fatal to humans:

"The impetus for this research is a 1987 study suggesting that cats, which tested positive for two other hantaviruses-the Hantaan and Seoul types-may help transmit the virus to humans in China."

Yeah. I wore gloves to get rid of our 3 little invaders this winter. Though they tried and tried, thankfully V&B could never catch one. They're the reason we don't use poisons though. IF they caught one they might get secondary poisoning. Sticky pads with chocolate chips all over them on the kitchen cabinet by the sink worked quite well. Then I took them outside and chopped their little heads off with a hoe & threw the bodies into the brush on the hill.

Then I'd get in my kitchen and wipe down my cabinets & counter-tops with Clorox wipes. *shudder* An episode of Ice Road Truckers that I was watching has had me afraid of wild, little mice ever since. http://www.locatetv.com/tv/ice-road-truckers/season-6/7652506

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version