Author Topic: Arrows & ACV  (Read 34945 times)

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
Re: Arrows & ACV
« Reply #120 on: August 13, 2014, 08:33:23 AM »
Or maybe you could find some of these in an aromatherapy store (since essential oils need glass too)?  http://www.premiumvials.com/glass-bottles/clear-boston-round/4-oz-boston-round/4-oz-clear-boston-round-glass-bottle-w-dropper.html

Actually, Dee has a really good idea.  If there's a health food store near you, they may carry the Bach's flower remedies.  Those are glass and include glass droppers.  Another idea -- an empty vanilla (or other kind) extract bottle.  It wouldn't have the dropper, though.  Both of these would be difficult to get the vinegar into, unless you use a turkey baster or something.

I've also seen very small Mason jars in my hardware store.  Walmart and some supermarkets may also carry them.  Just tossing ideas out there.   :)

P.S.  For the record, I don't think Walmart sucks.  I'm not sure how that got in there.
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #121 on: August 13, 2014, 12:38:19 PM »
The Walmart sucks is built in.   funny2

Thanks for the ideas you guys. Last time I bought vanilla it was in a plastic bottle. :(

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #122 on: August 13, 2014, 08:36:31 PM »
MC,
Next time you are at the grocery store, scan the aisle(s) that have salsa and/or ready made sauces.  Some of those items come in short glass containers with lids that screw on. 

Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #123 on: August 19, 2014, 05:02:12 AM »
The glass peanut butter jar is working!  I cut a circle of waxed paper to fit inside the lid to keep any drops of vinegar from the metal. I'm still using the stainless steel drop spoon though, but the vinegar is only in it for a second and I was it after every use.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #124 on: August 20, 2014, 01:55:50 PM »
I bought my glass dropper, from a display that was near the pharmacy, at my local grocery store.  If you are interested.  :) 

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #125 on: August 20, 2014, 03:56:39 PM »
I actually do have one, as it turns out.  But the little spoon is so much easier. Easier to control the amount, easier to store, easier to wash.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #126 on: August 25, 2014, 06:25:48 PM »
No spit ups of any kind, from anyone, since the 11th.  That one was probably due to me reducing (too much) the amount of Pepcid (for Roxy) and/or the Braggs Organic Vinegar (Arrows).    The location of the barf would have given me a decent guess as to who it belonged to.  However, the notes just say "barf." 

Roxy was getting 3/4 of Pepcid and Arrows was getting 3 drops (total = teaspoon) of Braggs... spread out over 3 meals.  I cut them both down to once a day, and that is when the above barf happened.

After the barf... I didn't go back to their normal amounts.  I just put one of their "servings" back in.  Meaning... Arrows was getting one drop of Braggs twice a day, and Roxy was getting 1/4 of Pepcid twice a day.   In a perfect world, I would like it if neither needed Pepcid or Braggs... if you are wondering.  :)

Since feeding the ground raw... I took a chance and changed Roxy's Pepcid amount down to 1/4 only.  Arrows is still getting one drop - twice a day of Braggs.  I'm kinda just leaving him alone for now...staying with what I know works... thinking Braggs isn't the "evil" that Pepcid is. 

No spit ups, barf, regurgitating...nothing.   :D

BTW Roxy didn't start out taking 3/4 of Pepcid a day.  It was increased, when the amount (at the time) stopped working.  My vet (and the other) said it was totally safe.  I'm just repeating what I was told.   ;D  My point is... since feeding raw, she is doing fine taking "just" a 1/4 of Pepcid.  I don't think that amount EVER stopped the barfing.  If it did, it was for a very short period of time.   

Sooooo is the raw helping her, or the Vet's Best...or both?  She did eat a sample of raw today, without Vets Best.  She may just be ready to go cold turkey... and then I will have my answer.   :)

Just to be clear... I don't have a problem giving either cat something that helps them.  BUT if eating better food is the "cure," I want to know.  I want to take that route instead. 
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 05:28:05 AM by Lola, Reason: obvious grammar errors »

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #127 on: August 26, 2014, 08:43:31 AM »
That is all AWESOME news!

I remember when MC added the ACV to Mazy cat's raw food, that was the one time Mazy wasn't thrilled with the addition and MC had to add the topper to get her to eat it.  And I wondered if Mazy's reaction was that she didn't need the extra acid for the raw, but she did need it for the canned (since she ate that right up with the ACV).

Stomach acid digests (meat) protein.  Since the raw is a better/purer form of protein (compared to canned), and based on what you've described as well as Mazy's reaction to the ACV in raw, I tend to think that the raw triggers more stomach acid than the canned, and therefore the ACV may not be needed for those meals.  If that's true, then my gut (no pun intended) tells me that the pepcid wouldn't be needed (or not as much), and the raw will help their tummies to produce enough acid so neither supplement is needed.  And remember, the goal with the ACV is to "train" the stomach to produce enough acid over time, so that eventually the ACV is no longer needed.

Mind you, I'm winging this, but that's my hunch.  So to sum up:  I think the raw IS helping their digestion significantly.  Maybe, over time, they won't need the pepcid/ACV at all.  fingerscrossed  One day at a time . . .

Great job, Lola!  multistars multistars multistars
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 11:07:23 AM by Pookie »

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #128 on: August 26, 2014, 04:14:53 PM »
Thanks for the update Lola, and great post Pookie! No time for more just now but didn't want to read and run

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #129 on: September 02, 2014, 01:52:16 PM »
I KNEW I shouldn't have posted an update.  Arrows barfed on the 31.  :(  20 days of no barfing.  Not good, but still a HUGE improvement. 
It seemed like he wanted to show me he was going to barf.  He is a tile barfer, so he could do it anywhere... but he ran into the room that I was in, and then did it.  Maybe I just read too many of MC's posts...  :)

I'm thinking of trying to feed him raw only.... no canned.  He LOVES raw.  I just hate to feed him from one source only.  But ... it is GOOD food from Hare Today.   :-\

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #130 on: September 02, 2014, 04:16:27 PM »
I don't know what that is Lola, I find the same thing, if I kind of lose track and look back to count how long it's been since she hurled, it seems like a guarantee that she will hurl the next day.

As for Arrows wanting to let you know, I don't doubt it for a minute. The more focus a cat gets from you, the more they are going to know what you want.  He's figured out that you want to know about his puking habits. 

Still though, 20 days is HUGE!  But if you're like me, I understand that feeling of disappointment.  Such a helpless feeling, even though we are doing as much as we can, and there IS improvement.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #131 on: September 02, 2014, 04:38:58 PM »
I don't know what that is Lola, I find the same thing, if I kind of lose track and look back to count how long it's been since she hurled, it seems like a guarantee that she will hurl the next day.

Yeah, that happens with Pookie, too.  It'll suddenly pop in my head, "when was the last time he horked" and I'll check the log, and usually within 24 hours, up it comes.   :(  *sigh*

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #132 on: September 02, 2014, 07:00:08 PM »
Hmmm....I think that what this means then is that we are so in tune with them, we know when it's coming. And sure enough it does.  Not because we thought about it.  But..we thought about it because we know out cats...and we, subconscious, or subliminally, something, must be seeing a sign that indicates it's that time again.  Even if we don't KNOW we are seeing it.  We are seeing it.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #133 on: September 03, 2014, 12:27:14 PM »
I tend to lean towards believing (from experiences with other cats) they are showing us they have a problem... so we will help them.  Breaks my heart.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #134 on: September 29, 2014, 05:47:18 PM »
Arrows has kept everything down, since whenever the last time he didn't.  I refuse to look for the actual date.   Silly7