Author Topic: Pookie's Vet Visit  (Read 76385 times)

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
Re: Pookie's Vet Visit
« Reply #330 on: April 16, 2015, 12:24:15 PM »
Last night, he didn't eat much more, and there came a point where he didn't eat at all.  He never went to the basement or the kitchen cabinets, in fact, he stayed on the back of the sofa, meatloaf position, only getting up to stretch and turn around to face the other way.  Sometimes he would look out the window, other times he would doze off, and lay his head down, sleep for a few minutes, then wake up to shift his head or change position.

He did come up to bed last night as I was getting ready, and he stayed with me most of the night.  He purred, and curled up next to my head, and rested a leg/paw in my hair, or on my shoulder, or by my neck.  Then he would go lay on my legs, as usual.

I had left some food out for him for the night, and he did eat some of it.  When I came downstairs, he was back in meatloaf position on the back of the sofa.  He did eat the food I brought him, but would shake his head and paw at his mouth.  He did seem to perk up and speak to me when I brought him food.

I'm not completely sure he was ready to go, but at the same time, I was concerned he'd become dehydrated if I couldn't get enough food in him, or that he'd develop hepatic lipidosis.  But what it really came down to was, what kind of quality of life is it to just stay on the back of the sofa, trying to get comfortable?  To be hungry but be uncomfortable when eating?  To keep scratching and drawing blood because the tumor was so uncomfortable?

I called the vet this morning, and took him in.  I had them weigh him, and he'd lost 1/2 pound since he was there on 3/23 to get the sutures removed (he weighed 13.12 then).  The vet said that the area where they did the biopsy was becoming necrotic, meaning the tumor was outgrowing it's blood supply, so the blood cells die and the area can become infected.

They sedated him (he growled a little at the vet when she did that), and I kept talking to him and petting him during all of it.  He left quickly and peacefully, with his Mommy petting him and telling him she loved him.  He left at around 11:47am.   :'(

I pray it was the right time to let him go, but just I couldn't see making him go through another day like that.

I miss my baby so much.   :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

P.S.  This is a link to his page on ibdkitties.net.  While he was never diagnosed with IBD, the owner of the blog wanted to include him anyway, because of his issues with kibble.  I need to update it, but this is the latest:  http://ibdkitties.net/PookieH.html

And this is his profile on Catster, which I just updated:  http://www.catster.com/cats/1004706
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 01:09:55 PM by Pookie »
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #331 on: April 16, 2015, 12:50:45 PM »
You paid close attention to what Pookie was telling you, and heard him.  It was absolutely the exact right time. I mourn with you more deeply than I can express, but I haven't even the slightest doubt that you honored him, and did what he was ready to have done. More love and hugs.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #332 on: April 16, 2015, 12:54:50 PM »
You paid close attention to what Pookie was telling you, and heard him.  It was absolutely the exact right time. I mourn with you more deeply than I can express, but I haven't even the slightest doubt that you honored him, and did what he was ready to have done. More love and hugs.

Thanks, MC.  I question myself because he did eat this morning, and seemed to want to.  If he hadn't, I would be more certain.  There were times when he just looked so . . . tired, but then his ears would perk up, his eyes would widen when he heard/saw something, so that made me unsure, too.  But it's done now.   :'(

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
« Reply #333 on: April 16, 2015, 01:06:38 PM »
Oh I am in tears right now, I am so sorry, words are just not enough, giving you lots of hugs. You made the choice that you needed to do, and you gave Pookie all the love and care, do not question yourself, he is now free from pain.

grouphug   rainbow3
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #334 on: April 16, 2015, 02:45:44 PM »
I'm so sorry. I know there's nothing can say, but I'm sorry. I'm wondering, though you feel like hell and are still questioning yourself, aren't you feeling just a little bit better, in some odd way, knowing he's not hurting any longer? That's how I felt with Dannyboy. Questioning myself, feeling guilty over the questions from refusing to let them cut on him again, but such huge relief at the same time that he wasn't in any pain whatsoever any longer.

You asked how any of us were able to do it? Well that's how I did it. I gripped that little bit of relief tightly and didn't let go.

grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #335 on: April 16, 2015, 05:38:34 PM »
  I'm wondering, though you feel like hell and are still questioning yourself, aren't you feeling just a little bit better, in some odd way, knowing he's not hurting any longer?

I had thought I would feel some relief, now that I don't have to worry that the tumor will hemorrhage while I'm out doing errands or sleeping, and that he'll be gone when I find him; that he won't be scratching himself bloody, or be in respiratory distress; that I won't have to rush him to the ER vet (who I've never been to, so it would have been unfamiliar all around), so he'd be spared the stress of that, etc., but I don't.  Maybe I will later.  I just keep wondering if maybe I should have given him one more day, but then I go back to my thoughts in the earlier post re:  quality of life.  And in some ways, it was like he left before I took him to the vet.  He hadn't been on his condo in days, or the daybed (except for his pm brushing).  He used to come tell me when it was time to eat, and when I was on the computer, he'd come in and jump on the bed and nap.  He hadn't done that in a while, either.

I made myself take a walk this afternoon, and I kept talking to him, apologizing, and telling him that now he's free.  He's healthy again, and can catch all the mousies and bugs he wants, and that we'll be together again and he can come visit me whenever he wants to.  I also asked him to forgive me.  I wanted a better life for him than this.  But I know he's in good hands now.

I don't know if that answers your question, but that's how I feel.  The place is so empty now.  I keep thinking he's just in another part of the house, but he's not.   :'(

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #336 on: April 16, 2015, 06:14:21 PM »

I don't know if that answers your question, but that's how I feel.  The place is so empty now.  I keep thinking he's just in another part of the house, but he's not.   :'(

I guess the difference between you and me then is my having to stay alone with him that night and watching him in pain b/c I wasn't strong enough to do anything by myself, b/c I wasn't able to get through to the walkies at his work. As soon as he got home from work that morning, we were on the way.

Then after that, part of me had to deal with Barkly and his depression, so I never was really alone without fur like you.  :'(
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #337 on: April 16, 2015, 08:20:50 PM »
Sounds like Pookie told you good-bye last night. 
You. did. right. by. Pookie.  Not just today, but every day.   HeadButt
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #338 on: April 16, 2015, 08:22:06 PM »

I guess the difference between you and me then is my having to stay alone with him that night and watching him in pain b/c I wasn't strong enough to do anything by myself, b/c I wasn't able to get through to the walkies at his work. As soon as he got home from work that morning, we were on the way.

Then after that, part of me had to deal with Barkly and his depression, so I never was really alone without fur like you.  :'(

grouphug  I'm so sorry you had to go through that.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #339 on: April 16, 2015, 08:23:16 PM »

I wondered that myself.  I didn't want to fall asleep . . . I wanted to keep petting him and talking to him.  But sleep caught me anyway.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #340 on: April 17, 2015, 04:52:07 AM »

I completely agree with this.  I also agree with whoever said his playfulness and getting that mouse was his ..last effort.  Bibbs did that too.  Two days before I let her go she was suddenly very playful, playing a Game she hadn't played since her cancer got bad enough that I had to hand feed her.

You did exactly right by Pookie all along, and listened to him when he told you he'd had enough.  Love and hugs from me.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #341 on: April 17, 2015, 10:28:57 PM »
I had watched part of a PBS special recently about cancer, and something one of the doctors said stuck with me:

"Healing is not always eternal life . . . Healing is sometimes helping people have a good death.  There is some kind of healing in that, too."  --Dr. Suzanne Cole

You can view the segment, Cancer:  The Emperor of All Maladies:  Part 3 - Finding the Achilles Heel on YouTube: 
-- she says it at 41:02

"Healing is sometimes helping people [and pets] have a good death."  There's a kind of peace in that.   rainbow3
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 09:57:15 PM by Lola, Reason: fixed video placement »

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #342 on: April 18, 2015, 09:19:13 AM »
"Healing is sometimes helping people [and pets] have a good death."  There's a kind of peace in that.   rainbow3

Yes, and that is exactly what you did with Pookie.  You are on my mind, all the time.xx

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #343 on: April 18, 2015, 08:32:10 PM »
Yes, and that is exactly what you did with Pookie.  You are on my mind, all the time.xx

HeadButt HeadButt HeadButt HeadButt HeadButt HeadButt HeadButt HeadButt HeadButt HeadButt HeadButt HeadButt HeadButt HeadButt

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #344 on: April 18, 2015, 09:57:54 PM »
Yes, and that is exactly what you did with Pookie.

Agree!!! 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Tags: