Author Topic: A new complete supplement! - FoodFurLife  (Read 13876 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: A new complete supplement! - FoodFurLife
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2016, 05:34:26 PM »
Since this can also be used with cooked meats, I was thinking...
I could buy a duck, whole chicken, cornish hen, etc.  Boil the meat off the bone, grind it, and then add FoodFurLife. 
The furkids all eat raw, but this would be something pretty decent to add to our mealtime rotation.   
A lot of raw feeders will probably see it as taking a step backwards.  My thinking is that it would allow me more options, as far as where I buy meat. 
The reason I want to boil the meat off the bone, is to kill any POSSIBLE bacteria that COULD be on meat purchased at the local grocery store. 

I think that's a great idea Lola. I was thinking about doing the same thing with the rest of the Cornish hen I used for Mazy cat's bone broth.

Then you would have some nice bone broth for them too.

I have edited this post because what I said up above would not work.  The cooked meat must contain all of the juices and dripping, cannot be separated.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2016, 08:32:43 PM »
Since this can also be used with cooked meats, I was thinking...
I could buy a duck, whole chicken, cornish hen, etc.  Boil the meat off the bone, grind it, and then add FoodFurLife. 
The furkids all eat raw, but this would be something pretty decent to add to our mealtime rotation.   
A lot of raw feeders will probably see it as taking a step backwards.  My thinking is that it would allow me more options, as far as where I buy meat. 
The reason I want to boil the meat off the bone, is to kill any POSSIBLE bacteria that COULD be on meat purchased at the local grocery store. 

Sounds like a good idea to me!   :)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 08:44:22 PM by Lola, Reason: MUST save cooking juices. See website for more info »
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2016, 01:31:36 PM »
One thing that is bothering me with boiling meat off the bone...

When using EZcomplete with cooked (boneless) meat, the amount of supplement to use is based on the RAW weight of the meat, prior to cooking.

http://www.foodfurlife.com/prepare-and-feed-ezcomplete-fur-cats.html
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2016, 04:08:12 PM »
I received my order today. :)
I bought the small bag.  225 grams = 1 cup

According to the directions on the bag...
I'll need a 1/2 cup per 2 lbs of meat. 
So one bag will only "do" 4 lbs of meat. 
At $42.30 a bag...that is REALLY expensive, compared to Alnutrin.  :(

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2016, 04:28:09 PM »
One thing that is bothering me with boiling meat off the bone...

I missed this before.  I don't understand what it is that is bothering you here? Can you explain?

I received my order today. :)
I bought the small bag.  225 grams = 1 cup

According to the directions on the bag...
I'll need a 1/2 cup per 2 lbs of meat. 
So one bag will only "do" 4 lbs of meat. 
At $42.30 a bag...that is REALLY expensive, compared to Alnutrin.  :(

42.30?  The small bag is $35.50. OH you added in shipping.  Well, the larger bag is a much better buy, if you decide to continue, and they do run coupons and promotions which is a good time to stock up.  I thought they had a bulk (four or more) discount but maybe that was a promotion, too.

The reason EZcomplete is costly in comparison is because of the ingredients.  There are no fillers or flow agents (I know Alnutrin says the same), but Food Fur Life uses use whole foods whenever possible,  and the product is all non-GMO.

It also contains green lipped mussel (for omega 3) and digestive enzymes.

If your crew likes it, you can use it in rotation with the Alnutrin, or was that what you were planning to do anyway?  That cuts the cost some, and keeps in with your belief in rotation as much as possible. :)

AND it helps keep Food Fur Life in business, which is important to me because I rely heavily on it! :)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2016, 01:17:13 PM »
I missed this before.  I don't understand what it is that is bothering you here? Can you explain?

It was the... "When using EZcomplete with cooked (boneless) meat, the amount of supplement to use is based on the RAW weight of the meat, prior to cooking." 
Any meat I had plans to cook would be something I would be boiling the meat off the bones, removing skin, etc.  I don't understand why the weight before cooking, so I kinda went into panic mode.  lol
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 01:23:38 PM by Lola »

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2016, 01:22:10 PM »

42.30?  The small bag is $35.50. OH you added in shipping.  Well, the larger bag is a much better buy, if you decide to continue, and they do run coupons and promotions which is a good time to stock up.  I thought they had a bulk (four or more) discount but maybe that was a promotion, too.

The reason EZcomplete is costly in comparison is because of the ingredients.  There are no fillers or flow agents (I know Alnutrin says the same), but Food Fur Life uses use whole foods whenever possible,  and the product is all non-GMO.

It also contains green lipped mussel (for omega 3) and digestive enzymes.

If your crew likes it, you can use it in rotation with the Alnutrin, or was that what you were planning to do anyway?  That cuts the cost some, and keeps in with your belief in rotation as much as possible. :)

AND it helps keep Food Fur Life in business, which is important to me because I rely heavily on it! :)

I hear what you are saying and I will TRY to do my share and help them and you out.   Silly7  $25 for Alnutrin and 40 pounds of food vs $42 for EZComplete and 12 pounds of food...that difference is hard to ignore.   :(
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 08:46:20 PM by Lola, Reason: corrected numbers »

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2016, 05:16:57 PM »
$42 for EZComplete and 4 pounds of meat...that difference is hard to ignore.   :

Remember that when you are using Alnutrin the weight also consists of bones and organ. EZcomplete covers bones and organ.  Muscle meat only.

However are you sure you've done your calculations right?  I think the small bag  size covers more than 4 pounds of meat. In fact I think it is 12 pounds.

Here are the instructions:

(for 2 pounds of meat) Scant 1/2 cup (do not pack the cup, the powder is measured loose - equivalent to 22 provided scoops of powder).
By weight it requires 1 7/8ths ounce (53.3g) of supplement. -

and

Not all dry powders have the same moisture content or density. The online converters assume that the volume measure of the product is one gram per cubic centimeter. The EZcomplete fur Cats supplement does not have a density that corresponds to one gram per cubic centimeter. -

Any meat I had plans to cook would be something I would be boiling the meat off the bones, removing skin, etc.  I don't understand why the weight before cooking, so I kinda went into panic mode.  lol

The reason is because EZcomplete completes raw muscle meat at the measurements specified.  When the raw meat is cooked it has to also contain all juices and drippings from the cooking . when you add the EZc.   Since EZc already contains the calcium and other nutrients there should be no bones and no organs used, ever.

So, if you cook the meat, you have to cook it in a way that the juices can be kept and used in the mix.

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2016, 06:00:32 PM »

Remember that when you are using Alnutrin the weight also consists of bones and organ. EZcomplete covers bones and organ.  Muslce meat only.

However are you sure you've done your calculations right?  I think the small bag  size covers more than 4 pounds of meat. In fact I think it is 12 pounds.

Here are the instructions:

(for 2 pounds of meat) Scant 1/2 cup (do not pack the cup, the powder is measured loose - equivalent to 22 provided scoops of powder).
By weight it requires 1 7/8ths ounce (53.3g) of supplement. -

and

Not all dry powders have the same moisture content or density. The online converters assume that the volume measure of the product is one gram per cubic centimeter. The EZcomplete fur Cats supplement does not have a density that corresponds to one gram per cubic centimeter. -

The reason is because EZcomplete completes raw muscle meat at the measurements specified.  When the raw meat is cooked it has to also contain all juices and drippings from the cooking . when you add the EZc.   Since EZc already contains the calcium and other nutrients there should be no bones and no organs used, ever.

So, if you cook the meat, you have to cook it in a way that the juices can be kept and used in the mix.

PS I asked over at Food Fur Life about the total meat and this is their reply:

the small bag balances 8.4375 lbs (if you want to be really exact), and the large bag balances 16.875 lbs. I know this wasn't your question, but I think it important to note, the water is an important part of the food. It should be thought of as rehydrating the liver, pancreas, yolk and green lipped mussel powder. With the water, the amount of food the small bag makes is 12 pounds, and the large bag makes 24 pounds. Of course, that will vary if the water is less or more than the instructions - the water is important, but the amount is not a hard and fast "rule."

:)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2016, 07:16:33 PM »
I am not sure I made it clear that I use more than one kind of Alnutrin.  One kind I add to meat, bones, and organs.  Another kind I add to meat and organs only...no bones. 

Back to EZComplete...
I was quoting the directions on the actual packaging:
"Combine 2 lbs of ground or chopped meat, 1/2 cup of EZComplete, and 1 1/2 cups of water."
Assuming 225 grams of EZComplete (the package I bought) is equal to one cup, the package will make 8 pounds of actual food.  I'm not sure where you are getting the 12 pounds, BUT when I actually make it... I will not use baking measurement conversions....  I will measure.  :)  I NEVER "eyeball" supplements of any kind.  Too risky! 

I did read about having to save the juices from cooked meats.  I'll just stick to feeding raw meats for now. 

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2016, 07:17:53 PM »
I had to walk away in the middle of writing my post.  I see you have another response.  BRB  :)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2016, 07:28:30 PM »
I don't know where they are getting 4 more pounds of food than I am.  I'm not mixing anything up tonight, so I'll look into it later. 

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2016, 07:40:04 PM »

EZcomplete covers bones and organ.  Muslce meat only.

Just going to point out that if EZComplete covers bone too, then you definitely need the moisture kept somehow b/c you're going to have a constipated animal without enough liquid.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #43 on: August 04, 2016, 07:40:35 PM »
This is how I got the 12 pounds and that was before I read up on the instructions and then asked them directly:

The bag states "130 servings".  I know that they consider one serving 1.5 ounces of meat PLUS the EZc and water. One serving is 1.5 ounces of meat, 1 tablespoon of water (or more if desired) and 1 scoop (provided) of EZcomplete.

I multiplied 1.5 ounces by 130 = 95 ounces.

I divided 95 by 16 ounces = 12.18 pounds

Judging by their reply to my question, I was pretty close.

Lola, please understand I am not trying to talk you into anything.  I just want to make sure for the sake of accuracy, the way EZc should be used is understood by anyone who might read this thread.

I have never used Alnutrin pre-mixes of any kind (though I do use their egg shell calcium and their taurine) so I can't make comparisons about cost, palatability or quality.

The EZc works for me because it is the only pre-mix that meets Mazy cat's very strict criteria. As you know I don't use it exclusively, my cats (including Mazy cat) also get prey model meals and other commercial raw brands.  EZc is only part of the rotation.

I would suggest to you (or anyone else) that you take your questions directly to the makers of EZcompelte at Food Fur Life.  You can ask them on their FB page, message them through FB or visit their website and choose their "contact us" option.

http://www.foodfurlife.com/

If you do do that, posting what you've asked and what you've learned form there here would be very helpful. :)

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #44 on: August 04, 2016, 07:46:49 PM »

Just going to point out that if EZComplete covers bone too, then you definitely need the moisture kept somehow b/c you're going to have a constipated animal without enough liquid.

Dee, the makers of Food Fur life stress, and never stop stressing, the importance of water and moisture in the feline diet.  If you read their articles you will see that almost every article, if not every one, stress the importance of added water, the absolute necessity of adequate moisture in the diet..