Author Topic: I FINALLY Bought A Tasin TS-108  (Read 4381 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
I FINALLY Bought A Tasin TS-108
« on: May 18, 2016, 03:25:06 PM »
I'm posting in this section because I'm hoping grinding SOME of my own meat will mean "savings."  :) 

The Tasin TS-108 electric meat grinder is perfect for making homemade beef jerky and sausage at home. With a 1200 watt motor, the Tasin meat grinder is one of the most powerful grinders in its weight class. This electric meat grinder can grind 200 lbs of meat per hour. For hunters this meat grinder is capable of grinding tough meat such as deer, elk and moose without any trouble. Don't waste your time and energy hand grinding your meat anymore, get your TS108 meat grinder today.

Tasin Meat Grinder works well for making RAW pet food diets too! Customers have found that it can handle many of the soft bones such as chicken, rabbit, duck and other small fowl. Turkey on the other hand is a much harder bone and is not recommended to be ground in this grinder. Disclaimer: One Stop Jerky Shop can not be held liable in any way if the Tasin Meat Grinder is used for grinding bones. One Stop Jerky Shop will warranty the Tasin Meat Grinder for repairs if only soft bones are used in this grinder other than turkey.

http://www.onestopjerkyshop.com/tasin-ts-108-electric-meat-grinder-1/
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: I FINALLY Bought A Tasin TS-108
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 03:23:41 PM »
If nothing else, this grinder will make it much easier to add secreting organs to meals. 

There have been a few occasions when I had to buy coarse ground.  Most of the cats didn't do so well with coarse ground.  Some picked out the "chunks."  Others barfed back up the chunks.  What are your thoughts on re-grinding?   The meat would be ground, frozen, thawed-ish, ground again, re-frozen, thawed again to be fed. 

I also would like to get some cornish hen in the rotation.  If I get over my less than positive thoughts about grocery store meats... I could purchase them and grind them at home. 

With 6 cats and 6 different personalities, I have no desire (at this time) to change from ground raw.  It works for ALL of them.  If anyone is wondering why I don't feed chunks. 

PS
Hubby made me PROMISE not to buy whole mice, just so I would have something to grind.   Silly7

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2016, 03:45:19 PM »
I coarse grind it in a little chopper when I defrost meat. They won't eat big chunks of liver. They both eat around it, so ground it is because they have to have it.

Barkly gets re-frozen after I mix up a batch for him. It's different now that they're not both eating the same mix since Vlad can't have bone. The way Barkly likes it with different meats altogether means that there's just too much mixed up for him to eat it in what I consider soon enough.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2016, 06:40:43 PM »
What kind of grinder do you use?  Do you completely thaw (if frozen) before grinding? 

As for as my situation...re-grinding and re-frozen 3 times makes me a little uneasy.  All that handling just seems like I am asking for trouble. 

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2016, 07:24:57 PM »
all that regrinding and thawing and re-freezing will be sapping the nutrients I think.

Just following.  I've never had a desire to grind so I will follow your journey with interest..

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2016, 08:40:24 PM »

What kind of grinder do you use?  Do you completely thaw (if frozen) before grinding? 

I don't grind. I don't do any of that anymore. It comes that way. Something had to go when I started having to do so much for my parents. It was either feed pre-ground or find some other solution for veggie/fruit puree. I couldn't find any pre-made veggie-fruit puree.

The only thing I chop are organs. I just can't get them to eat large liver pieces. I won't feed kidneys anymore. I'm afraid of any possibility of adrenal gland residue on them messing with Vlad. Same thing with pancreas--there's just too much risk with delivering other hormones to him. I've got him balanced and am not about to mess with it.

There's also been some speculation now that the reason it seems that more dogs might have hyperthyroidism is due to eating raw poultry necks and having thyroid hormone seepage on it. I forgot where I read it, but it was somewhere. Was really recently that I read it though, so it kind of made me okay with Vlad not being able to get bone anymore. Barkly's blood levels showed he was fine without having any bone other than the ground bone in the meat too, so decided not to worry about it anymore.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2016, 01:37:03 PM »
How about an update here Lola?  :D

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2016, 06:28:01 PM »
I used it for the first time Thursday evening.  I ground up several pounds of boneless skinless chicken thighs and some secreting organs.  Worked like a charm! 
Easy set-up and easy clean-up too. 

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2016, 11:25:09 AM »
I used it for the first time Thursday evening.  I ground up several pounds of boneless skinless chicken thighs and some secreting organs.  Worked like a charm! 
Easy set-up and easy clean-up too. 

So you work out the weights of muscle/organ meat ratio, then use Alnutrin with calcium (egg shell or limestone?) to balance it all?  Do you add the Alnutrin at the time, then freeze  or per meal?

Have the cats had any yet?

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2016, 01:08:52 PM »
So you work out the weights of muscle/organ meat ratio, then use Alnutrin with calcium (egg shell or limestone?) to balance it all?  Do you add the Alnutrin at the time, then freeze  or per meal?

Have the cats had any yet?

Heck no!  I'm not that smart.

I use the calculator shown in the attachment.  The only difference this time was that I did the grinding for the extra 7.40 lbs of meat and 1.10 of secreting organs.

Normally, I purchase the extra meat (already ground) from Hare Today and the secreting organs from My Pet Carnivore.  MPC sells the secreting organs in chunks.  Most of my cats don't like chunks... or my cutting skills.   Silly7

Just to be more clear...I add my grinds to the 5lb meat, bone, and organ grinds from Hare Today.

I figured if I was going to be grinding organ meat, I could also make use of meat sales that I come across... and grind that meat myself. 

Yes, I add Alnutrin. 

« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 01:25:55 PM by Lola »