Author Topic: Power Cable: One of the Most Dangerous Things Your Pet Could Ever Chew  (Read 1490 times)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Power Cable: One of the Most Dangerous Things Your Pet Could Ever Chew by Dr. Karen Becker.

http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2014/11/26/electric-shock-injury.aspx

You're going to have to go read the article to know about the actual subject, but the thing I wanted to point out most is a phone/tablet app for both cat and dog owners, and it's FREE!

At the top, you'll see either a dog or cat tab, and you can program your personal vet's phone number into the app. It will help you find an emergency hospital and everything. Plus it walks you through many types of emergency situations.

http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2014/11/26/electric-shock-injury.aspx

American Red Cross Pet First Aid App

If your pet has an emergency, it can be very difficult to stay calm and think about what you need to do first. The American Red Cross has a pet first aid app for iPhones and Android phones available at the Apple App Store, Google Play, or Amazon.com. Features include:1

Convenient toggle between cat and dog content.
Simple step-by-step instructions guide you through everyday emergencies in the palm of your hand.
Prepare and protect your pet’s health with advice on administering medication, time to say goodbye, behavioral help, and how to act in a disaster situation.
Early warning sign checker for preventive care.
Programmable veterinary contact number to be available when needed throughout the app.
Learn first aid steps for over 25 common pet situations through a combination of text, video, and images, in addition to identifying common toxic substances.
Locate your nearest emergency vet hospital or pet-friendly hotels.
Respond to pet emergencies with “how to” videos for the common and stressful emergency situations inclusive of size specific CPR techniques.
Customize multiple pet profiles and set veterinary appointments.
Interactive quizzes allow you to earn badges that you can share with your friends along with a picture of your pet.

Itunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pet-first-aid-by-american/id780415389

Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cube.arc.pfa

Amazon.com:  https://www.amazon.com/Pet-First-American-Red-Cross/dp/B00HUC0NBW

« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 09:05:56 PM by DeeDee »
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Good info Dee.

I guess I won't read the article.

I have seen a kitten electrocuted.  I mean, I didn't see it happen, I saw the kitten after.  I had just started a new job at a vet clinic, back in the mid eighties.  I was already doubtful about my ability to continue there, I'd only been there four days and I went home and cried every single night.  And the fifth day I came in to that kitten and the sobbing owners.  I quit that day. I've never been able to remove the image from my mind of that poor little baby. Thankfully she was euthanized immediately.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
I'm not really able to process a lot right now, but the videos I've been seeing with the app are pretty neat.

And I guess it would help if I put direct links for the app in the post, huh?
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
This review piqued my interest...

Dangerous advice! 

by Mlosassodvm
80% of the functionality of the app is a good idea, just not the first aid section (which is unfortunate for an app titled "Pet First Aid"). The two stars are for this 80%; the "Learn" section gets none.
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
This review piqued my interest...

LOL. I was going to ask my vet tech about its reliability this Tuesday when Vlad has to go get his Percorten.

Tags: