Author Topic: The on-going ever-evolving process of feeding Mazy cat  (Read 119062 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: The on-going ever-evolving process of feeding Mazy cat
« Reply #150 on: February 07, 2017, 06:49:42 PM »
Rough flare today. Had her pre-meal, servings (0.8 opz total Rad Cat split half hour apart) and brought it all back up.

Instead of feeding her again, after an hour I gave her just a tiny amount of food with slipper elm bark.

When I came home for lunch she had an appetite, so I fed her a small meal, 0.3 oz, with more SEB.  After she ate she started to hyuck and run down the stairs but by the time she got to the bottom she stopped and nothing came up.  I picked her up and ;put her in the litter boxes and she had a small poop, foul.

When I came home from work 2 hours later she was just hopping out of the litter box and had done a huge very smelly poop. It was a bit mucusy, though firm, and I didn't see much fur, so she's not passed it all even with that.

She seemed to feel better after that and ate her pre-meal okay and had lots of energy to run around, but then went to bed in the hammock and wouldn't come out for supper.

So after a while I gave her just some chicken breast mixed with bone broth. The chicken breast that was meant to be her supper I mean.  I didn't use the EZc, just the meat, plain and raw, with the bone broth mixed in it.  She kept that down and has had another meal of the breast with bone broth, and will have one more serving of that at bed time.

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #151 on: February 08, 2017, 05:39:16 PM »
Another big smelly poo this morning, and that one was full of fur. No wonder she pukes, having all that in her half the time.  She isn't constipated, she has normal raw fed poops every 36 hours. 

But then the fur starts building up again and she goes through this cycle.

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #152 on: February 09, 2017, 05:46:09 AM »
Another big furry poop this morning, then she puked up her first meal, also full of fur.  Welcome shedding season. :(

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #153 on: February 09, 2017, 10:28:56 PM »
 :(
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #154 on: February 10, 2017, 05:15:56 PM »
GoodVibes GoodVibes GoodVibes grouphug CatPurr
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #155 on: February 17, 2017, 08:50:19 AM »
Mazy cat had her check up this morning.  Thank goodness that's over for another 6 months.  I opted for the regual blood wrk, I need to know what's going on inside her. Vet is amenable to the IGA test, but said the blood can only be sent on certain days, and Friday is not one of those days.  She is going to find the correct days, and let me know. 

Mazy cat did okay.  Everything drenched in feliway, and she had Rescue Remedy.  I appealed to St. Gertrude (patron saint of cats) and reminded Mazy cat she could call on Marci (her Reiki sender) for support.  I actually think the Reiki reminder helped her a ton.

Aside for a lot of growling she got through the examination with vet examining, tech holding and me standing in front of her talking to her.  Then they took her away for the blood and expressing of anal glands. I heard no screaming and they were back in 7 minutes though it seemed an aeon.

Her glands were full but it was liquid not thick gunk. But very full.

Vet asked about her diet and I confirmed she was still raw fed.  No censure.  She involuntarily commented on the softness of Mazy cat's coat and I bit my tongue to hold back my smug "It's the raw diet".

She heartily approved the green lipped mussel, said she learned a lot about it at her latest conference. I had brought the jar to show the brand I was using.

Home again I waited a little while before feeding, even though Jennie was quite outraged at having to wait so long. (Queen Eva doesn't care)

I only gave her a tiny bit to start and she didn't quite finish even that.  I'll let her tummy settle before giving her any more.  It will take all day to get everything in her, but I am used to that.  At least she had a 12 hour fast in between, that will help her motility.

She's washing her bottom a lot which is to be expected, but she is happy to be home and is very relaxed!  What makes me think so?  Well have a look....

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #156 on: February 17, 2017, 08:04:46 PM »
The second picture is ADORABLE!!!! 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #157 on: February 18, 2017, 08:58:50 PM »
Rough day today, breakfast came up, lunch came up with foul liquid, on bone broth for the rest of the day.

Bowels empty, bladder empty.

The second picture is ADORABLE!!!! 

HeadButt  She was having a good time unwinding after the vet visit.  So happy to be home, and probably rolling off the vet and feliway smells and getting home smells back on her as she batted at her Lemon. xx

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #158 on: February 25, 2017, 08:39:16 AM »
Adding the skin (fat) has made the difference as far as maintaining her weight.  In spite of her current regurgitation cycle which is every 4 days ('normal' for February), she is maintaining her weight, and, in fact even gained another ounce.

She's at 9 lbs 8 ounces now, and I don't want her to go any higher than that. I am only adding 4 grams of skin a day.  If she gains any more I may have to cut it back to 3 again.

Sometimes on a regurgitation day she clearly feels unwell and on those days I turn to just bone broth for the remainder of the day.  Other times she pukes it up, and within a half hour is ready to resume her normal diet.

Of course I never know which kind of day it's gong to be.  Just recording here so I have a record I can look back on.

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #159 on: February 28, 2017, 04:21:18 PM »
Awful night last night.  Somehow Mazy cat developed some of those round, or almost round, hard stools, and she couldn't pass them.  Well she did, but not without repeated trips to the litter box, terrible straining, screaming and growling.

I was beside myself with worry.  After she passed the third, and largest round piece she did seem to feel better.  In between the second and third, she passed another stool with a lot of fur in it.

I did give her some mineral oil, after that last big hard one.

Amway after the fourth, and biggest
piece (which did not contain fur) she was able to eat, and I was up half the night, feeding her.  Finally got to bed at midnight. (I get up at 5 a.m.)

She also spent a lot of time playing with both me and Queen Eva.

This morning she ate her first two breakfast meals without trouble but did not want her second two meals.  When I cam home for lunch she had had more poop, normal poop not those round hard things, all fur. I also knew she did not have trouble passing it, because it was tidily buried.  She wouldn't have buried if it had hurt her or even caused cramping.

She seems completely back to normal now.  Awful night. Just awful.

I don't know what to do for her to prevent those hard round things.

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #160 on: February 28, 2017, 05:18:47 PM »
Might as well make things worse right?  Kept her premeal down no problems. An hour later I did the cornish hen slivers.  She ate them like she was ravenous, I wasn't paying attention she took the entire glob from my hand and swallowed it, then promptly brought it back up, including the meal she ate an hour ago.

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #161 on: March 16, 2017, 07:19:50 PM »
Just to keep this thread updated, because I refer to it alot.  Mazy cat had blood work in February which came back with a very slightly elated ALT (liver) of 123, and the elevated eosinophils, which has been on going.  Vet freaking out about raw diets and parasites.

Plan going forward:

1) antibiotics (Baytril), in case there is infection

2) denosyl liver support

3) fecal culture when I can time it to get a fresh sample up top the vet before 3 pm (when the lab picks up)

4)re-do bloods after one month on the denosyl

4) x ray, if ALT is still high

Mazy cat is one week into the antibiotics, and it is bothering her tummy just a little.  She is okay in the morning and lunch but after the Baytril (at supper) she doesn't want her raw food, so I have gone back to canned for her evening meals, until the Baytril is done.

This will be the last time I will be able to fall back on the By Nature organics chicken & liver.  There are about 12 cans left, but the expire date is in May.  I still have nothing to replace them.

The only change in Mazy cat's diet and supplement regimen since her last blood work in July is the addition of the GLM.  Vet expressed the worry that the New Zealand sourced GLM is tainted with heavy metals.  She recommended a for-pets (dogs, actually) brand called Glyco-flex, a "treat" filled with a lot of nasty junk in addition to the GLM.  I declined, and have kept Mazy cat on the GLM.

While researching the heavy metal issue I did find a reference to a "rare liver toxicity" in humans taking GLM.  Really only one case, that kept coming up in searches, of a 70 year old woman with other health issues.

if anyone else can find any references to heavy metals risk in GLM, or liver toxicity in GLM, I would like to know about it.  I am not very good at searching.

Mazy cat's regurgitation cycle remains unchanged.  Every 4 days, sometimes as long as 6 days or even 9 days.  When she has a longer span (anything over 7 days) she tends to regurgitate two days in a row.  Not always the same meal.

The addition of 1/4 egg yolk daily (boiled instead of raw), instead of  3/4 yolk raw twice a week is going well and may be helping her.  Adding skin (for fat,) has definitely helped her keep her weight on.  I don't worry about making up the regurgitated meals as much, because of the extra calories from the added fat.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #162 on: March 16, 2017, 10:05:35 PM »
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/221902045_An_Evidence-Based_Systematic_Review_of_Green-Lipped_Mussel_Perna_canaliculus_by_the_Natural_Standard_Research_Collaboration

Expert Opinion and Historic/Folkloric Precedent

As a food or as a dietary supplement, green-lipped mussel is not regulated by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). It is not listed inthe FDA GRAS (Generally Recognized as Safe) list as a food additive.

Ulbricht et al. 59Brief Safety Summary

Likely safe: When eaten in moderation, due to its long history of use inthe Maori diet (Halpern & Georges, 2000).

Possibly safe: When handling green-lipped mussels, although therehave been occupational case reports of lung dysfunction and multiplerespiratory symptoms in New Zealand mussel openers (Glass et al.,1998).

Possibly unsafe: When used in immunosuppressed patients, or in pa-tients not vaccinated against the polio virus (Greening, Dawson, &Lewis, 2001). When used in patients with pulmonary disorders such asasthma (Emelyanov et al., 2002; Glass et al., 1998; Halpern, 2000b).

Likely unsafe: When used in patients with hepatitis or other hepatic dis-orders (MacKenzie et al., 2002; Miles et al., 2004; Suzuki, MacKenzie,Stirling, & Adamson, 2001); possible toxic hepatitis has been associatedwith Seatone in several case reports (Ahern, Milazzo, & Dymock, 1980;Croft, 1980; Fabrin, 1988). When used in patients with neurotoxicity(Ishida et al., 2004; Morohashi et al., 1999). When used in allergic pa-tients (Glass et al., 1998). When used in patients who are pregnant orbreastfeeding (Miller & Wu, 1984; Shiels & Whitehouse, 2000).

Note: Green-lipped mussel appears to be generally well tolerated innonallergic people (Cho et al., 2003; Halpern & Georges, 2000), andsecondary sources suggest that heavy metal contamination is usuallynot a concern (unlike oysters). However, the B4 analog of brevetoxinB (BTXB4), has been associated with neurotoxic shellfish poisoning(Ishida et al., 2004; Morohashi et al., 1999). Complete toxin profilesof green-lipped mussel may also include yessotoxins (YTXs), pecteno-toxins (PTXs), and low levels of okadaic acid (OA) (MacKenzie et al.,2002; Miles et al., 2004; Suzuki et al., 2001). Possible toxic hepatitishas been associated with Seatone in several case reports (Ahern et al.,1980; Croft, 1980; Fabrin, 1988)

Precautions/Warnings/Contraindications

Use cautiously in patients taking anti-inflammatory medications. It has been suggested that green-lipped mussel may enhance not only thebenefits of other anti-inflammatory drugs, but also their adverse effects(particularly gastrointestinal upset).

Use cautiously in patients with asthma; although green-lipped mus-sel has been suggested to have anti-asthmatic effects (Emelyanov et al.,2002; Halpern, 2000b), lung dysfunction and multiple respiratory symptoms have been reported in New Zealand mussel openers (Glass et al.,1998).

Avoid in patients with liver disease, due to potential toxic hepatitisassociated with green-lipped mussel (Ahern et al., 1980; Brooks, 1980;Croft, 1980; Fabrin, 1988).

Avoid in patients with known allergy/hypersensitivity to green-lippedmussel or other shellfish (mollusks, crustaceans). Powdered green-lipped mussel is reported to be more allergenic than lipid extracts; allergic reactions to gelatin (used in capsule preparations) have also been noted.

There is a LOT more information at that page, but those are the highlights I saw that might concern what you're asking. You probably need to go read the whole page.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #163 on: March 16, 2017, 10:20:13 PM »
http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-830-new%20zealand%20green-lipped%20mussel.aspx

Note--In this link at WebMD in the Side Effects tab, it says,

Special Precautions & Warnings:

Pregnancy and breast-feeding: New Zealand green-lipped mussel is POSSIBLY UNSAFE to take by mouth during pregnancy. There is some evidence that it might slow the development of the unborn child and might also delay birth.

There is not enough reliable information about the safety of taking New Zealand green-lipped mussel if you are breast-feeding. Stay on the safe side and avoid use.

If that is true, then that tells me that it might indicate a lowering of cell generation and regeneration. THIS might be a reason that it causes liver issues. The liver wouldn't be regenerating at a proper rate.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #164 on: March 17, 2017, 04:47:26 AM »
Thanks Dee.  So for Mazy cat I have to make the decision, is the benefit worth the risk?  My answer right now is yes.  Just looking at her running, jumping, playing, sitting as opposed to barely moving, and hobbling along slowly when she does move.  yes, it is worth the risk.

Tags: