Author Topic: The on-going ever-evolving process of feeding Mazy cat  (Read 118974 times)

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
Re: The on-going ever-evolving process of feeding Mazy cat
« Reply #240 on: August 27, 2017, 12:02:20 PM »
Maybe it's been suggested before, or you've already looked into it, but I wonder . . . if adding a little magnesium to her diet would help the motility issue.  Magnesium relaxes muscles and calcium contracts them.  Maybe just a touch of magnesium would help her muscles to relax enough so that she wouldn't get blocked?   :-\

Just a rambling idea . . .
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #241 on: August 27, 2017, 02:32:00 PM »
No I hadn't thought of adding magnesium.  I rely on the ACV for maximum absorption of calcium and magnesium. Hmmm...

I wouldn't know how much to add. I take magnesium myself, and have been considering looking for a pure powder form as opposed to the tablets I am taking now.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #242 on: August 27, 2017, 03:04:24 PM »
This place is kind of like Dr. Google as a source for many things, but I'm sure these amounts are right because they're not ranting on raw food:

http://www.petmd.com/cat/conditions/endocrine/c_ct_hypomagnesemia
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #243 on: August 27, 2017, 04:11:30 PM »
This place is kind of like Dr. Google as a source for many things, but I'm sure these amounts are right because they're not ranting on raw food:

http://www.petmd.com/cat/conditions/endocrine/c_ct_hypomagnesemia

Thanks Dee. I don't see anything in there that suggests supplement dosages?  Mazy cat certainly isn't suffering from a deficiency. I would not want to risk her having too much. Cats' systems are so different from humans...and supplementation of anything like this could be very dangerous.

I was interested in the comments about acetylcholine, since this is an important nutrient aiding in motility but I didn't understand the comment at all:

nd is also important in the production and elimination of acetylcholine (a neurotransmitter); a low concentration of magnesium in the extracellular fluid (fluid outside of the cells) can increase concentrations of acetylcholine at motor endplates, resulting in an involuntary reaction of muscles. Interference with the electrical gradient can result in neuromuscular and cardiac abnormalities.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #244 on: August 27, 2017, 05:47:38 PM »

nd is also important in the production and elimination of acetylcholine (a neurotransmitter); a low concentration of magnesium in the extracellular fluid (fluid outside of the cells) can increase concentrations of acetylcholine at motor endplates, resulting in an involuntary reaction of muscles. Interference with the electrical gradient can result in neuromuscular and cardiac abnormalities.

Acetylcholine is necessary, has to be produced, but also has to be eliminated--a constant turnover. Without proper levels of acetylcholine being eliminated while production continues, it's going to cause neurological problems with muscles--and specifically the heart muscle.

Without proper levels of magnesium, you're risking that occurring.

Honestly though, you're not going to know where levels are without blood being tested. But if you want to supplement her with anything, I'd use some organic alfalfa powder. That's what I use for part of the natural vitamins for the boys now. That way it's balanced with other minerals already. This is one thing I've carried away from the co-op that I think is good. The mineral and vitamin profile looks like a bottle of pet vitamins. http://herbs.lovetoknow.com/Alfalfa_Nutrients

I just don't count it as the calcium replacement with boneless meat. Vlad gets a teaspoon a day, and Barkly gets 1/4 teaspoon a day. After looking at everything, I look at alfalfa and spirulina (or kelp) to be no different from handing them a Canine-Plus in the past, except now I'm not giving them something that's been made in a lab instead of the earth.

"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #245 on: August 27, 2017, 06:01:41 PM »
I really do not think Mazy cat is magnesium deficient. I'm not going to risk overdosing her by supplementing.  Her diet is balanced and the ACV assures the absorption of magnesium and calcium.

While vomiting every 7-8 days, with a rare longer span, and sometimes a few more frequent episodes thrown in, is not ideal, it's livable for both of us.  I just can't risk upsetting what we've got now.

Mazy cat is over 13.  While I know that's not elderly, I just can't put her through any more.  She's thriving. This is it, for her. I'm done experimenting.   Hug1

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #246 on: September 05, 2017, 05:14:00 PM »
Oh my gosh. Came home from work and the power was out.  Never, not ever has that happened in all the time I lived here. I panicked.  What was I going to feed Mazy cat?  Queen Eva and Jennie could eat the canned food, And for how long would it be out?  All that meat. I didn't dare open the fridge, even to get Mazy cats prepared meal out.

I went to Hannaford and bought a ton of water, just in case. Came back and opened a can of Tiki, just to try.  Gave a little to all three cats. Jennie & Queen Eva went wild when they heard the can pop so of course I had to let them have it.  Gave a tiny bit to Mazy cat.  She ate it but very slowly, she wasn't sure she liked it.  It came right back up. Right after she puked the power came back on.  I still have a few cans of her old organic brand that she was always able to eat but the "best by" date is May 2017 and I was afraid to use it.

Mazy cat just can't eat anything that isn't organic non GMO.

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #247 on: September 06, 2017, 07:50:33 PM »
Thankfully there doesn't seem to have been any long term effects from that canned food. But it does just remind me again that I need to find a good organic canned food she CAN eat.  There is just...nothing appropriate

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #248 on: September 06, 2017, 08:47:36 PM »
You might need to learn to can meats for her for emergency rations. You'd at least get one worry off your hands.

http://www.theprairiehomestead.com/2015/01/canning-meat.html

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #249 on: September 06, 2017, 08:59:31 PM »
You might need to learn to can meats for her for emergency rations. You'd at least get one worry off your hands.

http://www.theprairiehomestead.com/2015/01/canning-meat.html

That's a great idea!  It never even occurred to me.   Doh1  You're a genius!   DrLisaPiersonWorthy
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #250 on: September 07, 2017, 02:56:01 PM »
Wow... who would have thought! 
As the writer mentioned, something about canning meat does sound gross. 
Great idea though!  My pet food freezer is often full with ready to thaw meals, meat and organs waiting to be ground, meat already ground, pre-made meals.  I could use a pet food cupboard:) 

Is it a possibility for you, MC?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 05:38:03 PM by Lola »
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #251 on: September 07, 2017, 03:39:59 PM »
I looked into that when I first started making my own soup. No that is not something I am likely to ever attempt.  I don't have a pressure canner and would be afraid to use it if I did.  I do have an electric pressure cooker but only use it as a slow cooker.  I won't use pressure cooking so I certainly am not going to use pressure canning.

Not to mention the botulism risk. 

But I thank you Dee for trying to help.

I need a canned food Mazy cat can eat. What if she has to be hospitalized ever?  Not that I am very likely to be willing to put her through something like that,. but you never know until you're faced with it, you know? I keep searching, but have not found one that fits the bill.  By Nature just ruined my life when they gave up the organic line, haha!

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #252 on: September 07, 2017, 05:02:24 PM »
How about organic meat canned for humans? You'd have to add the minerals and vitamins with that stuff that's mixed with raw food (brain freeze here on the name), but it would be organic and canned. Surely if there were an emergency, the hospital could actually measure a bit out for her to eat?

http://www.wildplanetfoods.com/product/value-vault-organic-roasted-chicken-breast-nsa-12-pack/

https://www.foodcity.com/product/0004711709700/

I think I'd be tempted to try some of the canned meats from the Amish. They don't go after "organic" labeling b/c of hoops, but they eat organic, and that's why so many of them are so much healthier than (for lack of a better word) "normal people" are. I know preppers use the Troyer and Yoder brands of canned meats, and there's a ton of different meats available.

I can't remember. What is Agar-Agar? http://naturalplanetpetfood.com/pet-food/cat-dinner/10

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #253 on: September 07, 2017, 06:32:33 PM »
How about organic meat canned for humans? You'd have to add the minerals and vitamins with that stuff that's mixed with raw food (brain freeze here on the name), but it would be organic and canned. Surely if there were an emergency, the hospital could actually measure a bit out for her to eat?

http://www.wildplanetfoods.com/product/value-vault-organic-roasted-chicken-breast-nsa-12-pack/

https://www.foodcity.com/product/0004711709700/

I think I'd be tempted to try some of the canned meats from the Amish. They don't go after "organic" labeling b/c of hoops, but they eat organic, and that's why so many of them are so much healthier than (for lack of a better word) "normal people" are. I know preppers use the Troyer and Yoder brands of canned meats, and there's a ton of different meats available.

I can't remember. What is Agar-Agar? http://naturalplanetpetfood.com/pet-food/cat-dinner/10

Agar-agar is a seaweed thickener that pet food companies have started using after consumers caught on to how bad carrageenan is. Don't be fooled, it's no better.

Dee I so appreciate you trying to help me.  Canned meat for human meats can't be balanced with premixes, even ones like EZcomplete which can be used with either raw or cooked meat.

The reason is, the amounts of premixes to use are based on the meat when it is raw.  Even if you're going to cook it, you need to know the weight of the meat raw first.  Then the meat has to be cooked in a way that all juices are retained and added to the final product.

With canned meat there is no way of knowing the weight of the meat or if the juices were retained.  And of course they also are much too high in sodium for cats, even the "reduced sodium" brands.

All the pet food organic brands have nasty things in them.  If not carrageenan, grains, or fruits and vegetables, or weird crap. I've searched and searched.

One of the reasons I want a canned food is because, for some reason, when Mazy cat is ill, or on antibiotics, she goes off her raw diet.  She loves it, but last summer with her mouth trouble, and subsequent baytril and this past winter when she was on the baytril, she flat out refused to eat any raw. At those times I still had some of the By Nature left.  I still do, but the cans' best by date is May 2017.

I don't know if there is any out there with a later date..I've thought about looking on e bay, but I've never bought anything from e bay and don't trust it.

Edited to add...actually Dee it wouldn't be a bad idea to at least keep a can or two handy, just in case I face what happened the other night again.  I mean, it wouldn't hurt her to eat an unbalanced meal a time or two. If she could keep it down.  She needs her food mashed fine, but I could do that with a fork.  I did it with the Tiki, after all.  I'll need to see if I can find it in singles though, not a whole case.  So thank you for that great idea!.

But wait a minute (editing again)  Mazy cat needs a slow introduction to anything new. She can handle the By Nature, even when she hadn't had it for a long time, because she ate it for years, so her body was used to it.  I'd have to start adding a meal of this to her rotation on a regular basis.  Oh gosh, that won't work.  Even with no salt added you know it's still too high in sodium for a cat.

I do slow transitions even now.  I never allow her food to run out before I have a new batch waiting, and the last week of the old batch is rotated with the new batch so she gets a slow transition.  Everything.  Meat, Rad Cat, supplements, EZc, I do that with EVERYTHING that goes into her.

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #254 on: September 09, 2017, 09:46:53 AM »
Mazy cat had her 7 day cycle puke this morning with her second breakfast meal.  It was terribly foul.  She had a good poop last ngiht and the night before but neither had as much fur as I would have hoped, so I wasn't really surprised.  There was no fur in it, so the fur was already making it's way down, but blocking things up.

Because it was so foul I gave her the George's aloe/SEB blob with s.boulardii added, waited a half hour then gave her a small meal with her marshmallow root, and other supplements.   Another 40 minutes, I gave her another small meal, then she will have two more small meals before I leave the house.  I'l be gone most of the day, so she'll have a good stretch of fasting again to let the mucilage go to work and push that stuff through.

Tags: