Author Topic: The on-going ever-evolving process of feeding Mazy cat  (Read 119056 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: The on-going ever-evolving process of feeding Mazy cat
« Reply #60 on: November 13, 2016, 07:05:54 PM »
Yay!!!
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #61 on: November 13, 2016, 10:39:35 PM »
Twenty days and five hours.  TWENTY days between regurgitation episodes. 

Wow.  multistars  Is that a record for her?
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #62 on: November 14, 2016, 04:51:57 AM »
Thanks you guys.  She went 21 during the summer when she was having that mouth problem.  But those were unusual circumstances.  Often when she goes more than two weeks, when she does finally puke she will regurgitate several days in a row, as if going that long causes a worse build up.  But we'll see.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #63 on: November 14, 2016, 12:03:42 PM »
GoodVibes GoodVibes GoodVibes GoodVibes

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #64 on: November 19, 2016, 09:49:30 AM »
Mazy cat had another regurgitation episode four days after the 20 day span ended.  It was her first supper meal and there was a big wad of fur in it. 11/17/16- That was the day I was home sick all day and her meal schedule was quite different with no 6 1/2 hour fast between breakfast and lunch.  It wasn't foul smelling and I was able to make up the difference in later meals.

Part of these next paragraphs are taken from other threads but want to keep things all in one place also. Some is added just now.

Sprinkled a little GLM over Mazy cat's supper on 11/18/16.  Just the tiniest bit.  She went crazy for it.  It has a pretty strong smell. So that's one good thing.  Now to see how her system handles it.  Of course I will being doing it extremely slowly.  By the time she's on a full dose and getting the benefit winter will be almost over.

Apparently it can take up to two months to begin to help with arthritis. And I've read it is recommended to start with a double dose, a loading dose, for the first few weeks, to hasten the benefit.  But of course I can't do that with Mazy cat.

1000 mg is a very small scoop, but still Ive got to start tiny with her.

I am using this brand:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FAZRKJO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

(next part: don't know if it is begause of the GLM or not.  We'll see how it goes)

Mazy cat never did finish eating last night.  I've learned not to push it when she says "No".

Two missed meals and missed bedtime supplements....but if she'd eaten it and puked it all up, they would have been missed anyway, and she would have puked besides.  This morning there was a lot of Mazy cat poop in the litter box, and then she went down with me before breakfast and pooped even more.

So not only did she need to skip those meals, she needed the 10 1/2 hour fast, too.

I wonder if the GLM, tiny dose as it was, had anything to do with all the extra poop.  Interesting......

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #65 on: November 19, 2016, 10:35:12 AM »
I forgot. Have you tried using MSM powder?

This article says GLM contains Chondroitin in it. I know Chondroitin can cause stomach upset in a lot of dogs (why I haven't tried joint supplements with Chondroitin in it yet--only glucosamine sulfate and MSM), but I don't know about cats.

https://www.inhousepharmacy.vu/p-940-mussel-nz-green-lipped-capsules.aspx

Treating osteoarthritis with Mussel

Mussel capsules contain an extract of the New Zealand Green Lipped Mussel (GLM) that is used for relieving symptoms of osteoarthritis.  Osteoarthritis is commonly known as wear and tear, because as joints age, or as a result of injury, cartilage degenerates and this can result in degenerative joint disease like osteoarthritis, where bones are no longer cushioned, causing pain and inflammation, which leads to limited mobility of that joint.  GLM extract in Mussel capsules is rich in omega-3 essential fatty acids (EFA), which have known anti-inflammatory properties; also glycosaminoglycans, particularly chondroitin, which is an important component of connective tissue particularly cartilage and tendons that keeps cartilage hydrated and flexible and this helps to maintain its role as the “shock absorbers” of the joints.  The EFAs found in GLM block the production of inflammatory chemicals like prostaglandins and leukotrienes and this mechanism is thought to be how they reduce inflammation in osteoarthritic joints and relieve symptoms including pain, swelling and reduced mobility of the joints.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #66 on: November 19, 2016, 02:52:47 PM »
Thanks Dee!

Mazy cat gets glucosamine, chondrointin and MSN in the Cosequin for cats she takes.  She's been taking it for years, on and off for her so called "FLUTD".

It's only the last year or so I put her on it daily, and I started more regularly, because of her symptoms of arthritis pain last winter.  She also already gets some green lipped mussel in the EZcomplete, but it's not enough to help her arthritis.

I just gave her another very tiny dusting of it.  She definitely likes the smell of it.

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #67 on: November 24, 2016, 08:09:12 AM »
Mazy cat is up to 1/2 scoop of the GLM but I think it's causing her some trouble now.

About an hour after she has the small meal with 1/2 scoop she starts burping and doing that swallowing, licking lips thing.  It passes after a few minutes.

I'm probably increasing it too quickly, and need to slow down. On the other hand the EZcomplete does contain GLM, so it's not a completely new thing to her.

She's very urpy this morning and I gave her a pepcid dose to stop acid reflex.  (Or "hot burps" which is what one of my former consumers calls heartburn)

Later I think I'll give her a little extra SEB too. I could have just done the SEB to start but I was afraid she would just bring it all back up.

She's on day 5 again between regurgitation episodes.  After the wonderful 20 days, she puked again 2 days later, and now not for 5 days.  I hope to get her through today, she'll be getting some rescue remedy later because my friend is coming over.

I think she's got some fur to be moved out her poops have not been as full of fur as they were.  I may have to break out the psyllium, but I was hoping not to need that until shedding season really starts up in February.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #68 on: November 24, 2016, 09:22:56 AM »
I hope Mazy feels better soon!  Maybe she needs some ACV with the GLM?   :-\

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #69 on: November 24, 2016, 09:28:59 AM »
I hope Mazy feels better soon!  Maybe she needs some ACV with the GLM?   :-\

Good idea! I'll try that next time. 

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #70 on: December 04, 2016, 08:28:39 AM »
The ACV added to the GLM meal seems to have done the trick, thanks Pookie.

Next step-adding more fat to her diet.  Her diet is 2/3 Rad Cat but the other meats she gets are very lean.  Even the thigh seems lean and I've been reading some things about fat and improved motility.

Since her chicken breasts and thiighs do not come with skin on, next time I am ready to make a batch of either for her, I'm going to have to buy a roaster chicken and take the skin off for Mazy cat.  I can cook the roaster in the slow cooker for myself (I'm not ready to make my next bone broth soup for a while) and add the skin to her meat.

Yesterday I did her cornish hen. Usually I throw the skin away.  This time I kept half the skin for adding to the meat (when putting it through the food processor) and kept the other half to add a little to her meals right now.

Someone somewhere in the fat discussion said 6-8% added fat would help. I don't know if that's accutrate or not but it's all I had to go on so I did some calculations.

(using on line calculators, not my brain)

6% of 1.2 oz of meat is .0072 oz. .0072 oz converted to grams is 2 grams.  Since it's Mazy cat and slow change is crucial I went with half that.  I simply added 1 gram of the put aside Cornish hen skin to her supper meal (chicken breast and EZc) last night.

I don't know if this is the right way to do it or not. The recommendation in the group was using lard, but Mazy cat can't have beef. True I've never tried her with grass fed, but she won't eat the Rad Cat beef, which is grass fed, so I'm sticking with all things poultry for her.

Any thoughts with my plans are welcome.  Do different skins have different fat content (weight for weight) or is it : fat is fat?  I'm going by: fat is fat for now.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #71 on: December 04, 2016, 11:48:08 AM »
First, I'm glad the additional ACV is helping.   thumbsup1

Any thoughts with my plans are welcome.  Do different skins have different fat content (weight for weight) or is it : fat is fat?  I'm going by: fat is fat for now. 

:-\  I'm going to leave that one to the others, but I'm leaning towards "fat is fat."  If there's a difference among poultry, it probably depends on what the birds were fed.  Since you're getting organic and (I think) free-range, I would guess they're all fairly similar, but again, I'll leave that to the experts.

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #72 on: December 04, 2016, 12:02:57 PM »
Thanks Pookie.

The Cornish hens and chicken I buy for Mazy cat is all certified organic, pasture raised non-GMO Verified meat.  The roasters I buy for myself (which the skin will be coming from), are also.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #73 on: December 04, 2016, 04:14:23 PM »
Fat is fat from one species is what's true, but chicken skin isn't ALL fat.

But if you're talking about fat between different species, then it's not the same. Like this comparison between beef and chicken:

http://www.sparkpeople.com/food_vs_food.asp?food=1_5_steak_versus_chicken.

Unless you're not talking about the exact polysaturated/monosaturated/saturated aspects of it. In that case, you can consider it fat is fat. But some will have different calories than others anyway.

Is that what you're asking? If that's not what you're asking, then just ignore me. As for me, I'd just measure it the same no matter what species I was feeding. It will all round out eventually.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #74 on: December 04, 2016, 04:46:46 PM »
Fat is fat from one species is what's true, but chicken skin isn't ALL fat.

But if you're talking about fat between different species, then it's not the same. Like this comparison between beef and chicken:

http://www.sparkpeople.com/food_vs_food.asp?food=1_5_steak_versus_chicken.

Unless you're not talking about the exact polysaturated/monosaturated/saturated aspects of it. In that case, you can consider it fat is fat. But some will have different calories than others anyway.

Is that what you're asking? If that's not what you're asking, then just ignore me. As for me, I'd just measure it the same no matter what species I was feeding. It will all round out eventually.

Thank you Dee.  I don't really know WHAT I am asking, really.  Just trying to figure it all out as I go along.  I'll have a read of the link, very helpful thank you!

All I know is I've been reading that fat is helpful in increasing motility and that is Mazy cat's biggest problem, motility.

Tags: