Author Topic: How To Avoid GMO Popcorn  (Read 1373 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
How To Avoid GMO Popcorn
« on: October 24, 2016, 02:43:57 PM »
Interesting...

Avoiding the consumption of genetically modified, or GMO, popcorn is very easy.  All anyone needs to do is eat popcorn.  Simple as can be.  As this post is written (August 2014) there is no GMO popcorn on store shelves nor is there any available for farmers to grow. I raise popcorn for Weaver Popcorn, and they currently have no plans to explore any biotech traits. I’m not even aware of anyone working on a GMO popcorn (remember popcorn is different from field corn, waxy corn and sweet corn).

http://thefarmerslife.com/avoid-gmo-popcorn/
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: How To Avoid GMO Popcorn
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2016, 03:46:55 PM »
This is not true.  Orville Redenbacher is GMO.  I know because I wrote and asked them a number of years ago.  Their reply was very defensive about it.

I use this non-GMO brand:

http://www.kernelseasons.com/products/

(edit) I've done a search and I see a lot of articles stating the same thing as what the link Lola posted states, that GMO popcorn doesn't exist.  I don't believe it.

I remember very distinctly the defensive answer I got from O R about it.  That they felt GMO was a good thing and they stood behind their products and some other blather like that.

One time, after switching to the Kernel Seasons, I ran out of popcorn once and picked up a jar of my old brand O R.  I made it up and it make me so sock after eating just a few handfuls I returned it to the store.

I think this GMO popcorn doesn't exist bit is just a marketing lie, like all the others.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2016, 04:06:08 PM »
Personally, I never gave popcorn a lot of thought.  I just happened to stumble on one article today and then Googled for more.  I find it all kind of weird interesting...

That's right, our pants have been pulled down again by clever marketing, and this time Orville Redenbacher is the prankster. Not to be outdone, other label-happy companies are pulling the same trick; to fool the informed consumer into thinking their "non-GMO" product is superior to those companies that don't make the same claims.

However, these companies didn't fool one of the top watchdogs of GMO technology, the Institute for Responsible Technology (IRT). Jeffrey Smith, executive director and GMO expert, has assured people that even though almost 90% of corn grown and eaten in the USA is GMO corn, popcorn comes from a different seed, and it has NOT been genetically modified. Even better news, according to the IRT, popcorn does not cross-pollinate with GMO varieties of yellow and white corn either.

http://www.naturalnews.com/050032_non-GMO_label_popcorn_marketing_claims.html

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2016, 04:39:06 PM »
I saw that one too.  I eat a lot of popcorn.  Every Friday night and often on Saturday night too, popcorn is my main meal.

I'll stick with the brand that has non GMO corn on the label.  I'm not taking any chances.  You know when I went to my Aunt's house for lunch the other week she made Shepherds Pie.  It was delicious but it had a lot of corn in it.  I was sick in an intestinal way for two days after.

At first I couldn't figure out what the heck was wrong with me, then I remembered the corn in the Shepherds pie.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2016, 02:47:36 PM »
I had no idea that popcorn comes from a different seed.  I thought corn was corn.  Who knew! 

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2016, 09:11:45 PM »
I had no idea that popcorn comes from a different seed.  I thought corn was corn. 

So did I.  Ya learn something new every day . . .
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Tags: