Author Topic: Probiotics, Digestive Enzymes and a Raw Meat Diet  (Read 1591 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Probiotics, Digestive Enzymes and a Raw Meat Diet
« on: November 06, 2016, 06:35:17 PM »
The use of probiotics and digestive enzymes in food, not just for transitional purposes but all of the time, is strongly advocated by many. Probiotics are said to boost the immune system.¹ There is also some evidence that certain probiotics can alleviate diarrhea, at least in humans.² Digestive enzymes are, not surprisingly, assumed to aid in digestion. But this is not as simple as it may seem. Let's examine the idea.

Read more at http://feline-nutrition.org/nutrition/are-probiotics-and-digestive-enzymes-needed
Follow us on Twitter: @FelineNutrition

Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: Probiotics, Digestive Enzymes and a Raw Meat Diet
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2016, 07:05:58 PM »
Honestly, I don't think additional digestive enzymes are a good thing unless a pet is like Vlad. Prone to pancreatitis, or starts showing digestive problems once they're geriatric. I've seen more than one vet say that if you supplement them all the time, the pancreas stops working properly. I wouldn't give them to Barkly--unless he develops issues like Vlad.

Probiotics are a bit different though. I supplement both of the boys with probiotics.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
Re: Probiotics, Digestive Enzymes and a Raw Meat Diet
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2016, 09:29:55 PM »
I'm thinking that adding enzymes to the diet of a pet that has eaten processed food in the past, might not be a bad thing.  If the pet has always been fed a raw diet, then perhaps it isn't necessary.  But for those that aren't fortunate enough to have always eaten raw, who knows what kind of damage, even minimal, may have been done, or what benefit the enzymes can provide?

Ingested enzymes are denatured in the stomach, so they aren't making it to the small intestine and hence cannot be helping with actual digestion. Many veterinary discussions of this subject stop right there. Enzymes are not getting past the stomach, so the whole idea must be faulty. 

However, in humans at least, enzymes do work in the mouth (they are released in saliva) and stomach, not just the small intestine.  I'm not sure we know enough about cats and dogs to say that is, or isn't, also the case for them.

Just my  2cents.
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi