Author Topic: My anti-virus keeps blocking me from accessing Cat Centric a site I know is safe  (Read 5798 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Can't get into www.catcentric.org. Yes I have cleared cookies a hundred times.  HELLLPPPP! (keep in mind that I am tech challenged)

Offline AK49BWL

• PF's Cat Daddy
  • Administrator
  • Gabster
  • The Cat Guy
    • My website
We were hacked recently, it had been a while since updates were run and someone added some javascript via wordpress exploit. I cleared it out two weeks ago but we're still getting reports of browsers claiming cc is unsafe. Unfortunately, there's also nothing we can do about it. It's not your antivirus, Google itself blacklisted the site over it and I had to jump through their hoops to get the site cleared by them again. All you can do is tell the browser to ignore the warning. Or if that's not the case, I'm going to need a screenshot... It's working for me right now.

Have you cleared your browser cache at all? It isn't likely, but possible your computer is still loading the hacked pages from your hard drive instead of the website itself. While this isn't inherently dangerous since it's being blocked, it'll be better to clear those out. I'll need to know what browser you use to get that cleared.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 10:39:16 PM by AK49BWL »
Brandon

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
It won't let me ignore it.  You can see there is an option for "accept the risk" but it doesn't work.  it just brings me to a blank page.

I am clearing cookies.  I don't know what you mean by clearing cache.

I use firefox. I'm on Win 10 (forced "upgrade" last summer)

Thanks Brandon.  I miss having access to the site I am in the habit of referring to it fairly often.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
PS I did know about the hack, Tracy told me about it when I first notified her I couldn't get in and she suggested I clear cookies, which I have done over and over.

Offline AK49BWL

• PF's Cat Daddy
  • Administrator
  • Gabster
  • The Cat Guy
    • My website
Ugh, McAfee... I don't know the first thing about that antivirus except that I wouldn't use it.. Does it do this on any other browser? Chrome, whatever passes for Internet Exploder on Win10 now?

Clearing your cookies will not do anything at this point. That I can tell you for certain.
Brandon

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
I don't use other browsers, but I just tried explorer (comes with the computer of course) and no I did not have trouble.  So why can't I get in on firefox?  I hate IE, it's as slow as if I was using dial up.

So what does "clearing cache" mean? If you think that will help, how do I do it?  And wil I have to !@#$%^&* reset all my passwords and sign ins again? Gawd I hate doing that.

Offline AK49BWL

• PF's Cat Daddy
  • Administrator
  • Gabster
  • The Cat Guy
    • My website
To clear the cache, go to your Tools menu, Options. A new tab will appear, on the left pane select Advanced. On the right at the top is a series of tabs (not webpage tabs, below that), General, Data Choices, etc. Select Network. In the middle is Cached Web Content, and there's a button on the far right, Clear Now - click it. That's all. No it won't clear your passwords.

Also in the Tools menu is Add-ons. Depending on how McAfee installed itself, you may have an extension or a plug-in (on the left pane again) labeled McAfee... I would try to disable it temporarily, just to see if it fixes the problem.

Another thing to try, that I don't know how to do, is to check McAfee for virus definitions updates. My thinking is it should do this automatically, but it never hurts to force it.
Brandon

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
Nothing happens when I click on "Advanced".  Why? WHY does my computer never EVER do what people tell me it is supposed to do.  THIS is why I am a technophobe.  Because nothing ever does what I am told it will do.  bangshead bangshead

I guess I will just have to suffer with IE when I want Cat Centric.  But I thank you for trying to help me Brandon.

All the other selections work.  Advanced is the only one that doesn't.

Offline AK49BWL

• PF's Cat Daddy
  • Administrator
  • Gabster
  • The Cat Guy
    • My website
That's just weird. Sounds like you may need to reinstall Firefox completely.
Brandon

Offline AK49BWL

• PF's Cat Daddy
  • Administrator
  • Gabster
  • The Cat Guy
    • My website
Okay here's another idea for clearing the cache, although this looks to be a McAfee issue rather than a Firefox one... I'm not really sure Silly7

Two menus over from Tools is History, drop that down and select "Clear Recent History..." ... A little window should appear. Select ONLY "Cache" from the list of checkboxes. In the dropdown box, select "Everything". "All selected items will be cleared" should appear. Click "Clear Now".

If THAT doesn't work, I'm gonna have to say, uninstall and reinstall Firefox completely because it's corrupt.
Brandon

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
That's just weird. Sounds like you may need to reinstall Firefox completely.

Uggggggh

Okay how do I do THAT?  funny2

Offline AK49BWL

• PF's Cat Daddy
  • Administrator
  • Gabster
  • The Cat Guy
    • My website
That's as easy as clicking this link and saving the download somewhere you'll find it, then go to it and double-click to install. https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/?scene=2
Brandon

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
But...are you saying that will replace what I am using now? Automatically?

Offline AK49BWL

• PF's Cat Daddy
  • Administrator
  • Gabster
  • The Cat Guy
    • My website
Right. Not completely automatically, you will have to confirm the actions but it will replace your current Firefox install. It will NOT delete your data, history, passwords, etc - only thing being replaced here is the program itself.
Brandon

Offline AK49BWL

• PF's Cat Daddy
  • Administrator
  • Gabster
  • The Cat Guy
    • My website
Any update on this?
Brandon

Tags: