Author Topic: Leaving Your Cats Alone For Days  (Read 1392 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Leaving Your Cats Alone For Days
« on: March 12, 2017, 11:20:10 AM »
This person plans to leave his/her cats on their own for 2 days!  S/he isn't the first, and likely not the last to do so.  WHY do soooooo many people think that is okay?  The majority don't think it is okay to leave their dogs.... or human children.   :-\
It isn't even an emergency type of situation. 

Our two guys are strictly on wet food. All is going great with it.

We are coming upon our camping season now, and I've begun to look for an auto feeder that would work for about 2 days' worth of feedings for when we go away. There seem to be a bunch of options out there (I have been looking on Amazon)- does anyone here have any suggestions of a particular brand or type of feeder?

(Having someone come in to feed them is not an option at this point.)

Thanks in advance.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/cats/2558726-wet-food-dispenser-suggestions.html
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: Leaving Your Cats Alone For Days
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2017, 12:32:42 PM »
So. Let me get this right. They're strictly on wet food, but they're wanting to leave wet food for 2 days? That's just wrong.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2017, 12:49:08 PM »
I wouldn't leave a cat alone for days, no matter what he/she is fed.  Apparently, I'm in the minority though. 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2017, 01:10:51 PM »
There are timer feeders that come with ice packs to keep the food from spoiling.  I still have the one I used for Pookie, though I used it for when I thought I'd be home late and I never used the ice packs.

That said, I wouldn't leave a cat or any other animal for 2 days without someone at least checking in on them to make sure they were ok.  And for cats, to also clean the litter box.

I don't understand why a sitter isn't an option.  There's got to be a neighbor or someone who could do it.  But then again, maybe these are the kind of people who think they're "just cats" so it's perfectly ok to leave them for 2 days straight.  If they do that, I hope for the cats' sake they don't regret it.
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Tags: