Author Topic: Lacy Dog Was Not Doing Well....  (Read 255 times)

Offline Lola

• Administrator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
    • Parenting Furkids
Lacy Dog Was Not Doing Well....
« on: July 19, 2017, 10:14:21 PM »
On Saturday she barfed up her breakfast. 
She did eat beef tripe and she hasn't had it in a while...and it IS kinda on the gross side.   Silly7   Stress?  She did have a ROUGH Friday night.  We weren't home for a few hours, and something happened (while we were gone) that totally stressed her out. 
I also gave her a raw egg, for the first time ever.
I am trying to figure out what was different that could trigger her bringing back up her breakfast. 
Lunch and dinner go well.  Same beef tripe.
Saturday evening.... baaaaaad weather.  Thunderstorms scare the carp out of her!

Sunday:
Barfed breakfast.  Not the same protein from Saturday.
We are leaning towards her being stressed from the loud thunder Saturday pm.
Lunch and dinner go well. 

She is urinating and her poops look great. 

Monday:
Looooooong after breakfast was fed, she brought that meal back up.  Hours later. 
She ate no lunch.
2 PM-ish...Brought up bile.
Dinner... few bites.

We are also wondering if maybe she helped scoop the litter boxes... got an over-load of litter.  It isn't something she does daily, but she will sometimes sneak.  BUT there was no litter (that I could see) in the barf pile.  We kept trying to think of what was different.   pullingouthair

I'm thinking that it is time to take her to the vet on Tuesday.  She would likely prefer fireworks and thunderstorms... over going to the vet.

Tuesday.
She eats her breakfast and lunch.  No problem. 
She isn't acting like herself, but... seems to be doing better.
4 pm she drinks water.  A ton of water.  She is probably a bit dehydrated, so it makes sense she would be really thirsty.  Water and bile come back up.  Loads of it.

I did some reading and ....  we decide to have her fast for 12 hours.  Wait and see if fasting does the trick.

Wednesday:
No breakfast served.
Ate lunch...smaller amount then her usual.  Everything stayed down.
We are keeping small amounts of water in her bowl.  She can drink as much as she wants, she just has to do it in intervals. 
Everything is going good physically, but more importantly...her personality is 100% back.   BanWooHoo

I know many of you are wondering ..."WHY did you NOT take her to the vet?!"
Wellllllll... she kept showing signs of getting better.  We assumed she was at the end of whatever was going on...then BLAM.  I SO did not want to put her through a vet visit, if I didn't have to.  What was the vet going to check for...I had no info to give.  Not really. 

Just for the record, it was not an easy to decision to wait or not wait.  I didn't want to stress out Lacy more, for my own peace of mine.  But then I didn't not want to take her... and wish I had.  THIS time it worked out for the best.  It is scary. 

This time, I think she is TRULY better... she is back to her spunky adorable self.   fingerscrossed
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 10:44:34 AM by Lola, Reason: clarification »
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Lola

• Administrator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
    • Parenting Furkids
Re: Lacy Dog Was Not Doing Well....
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 10:17:25 PM »
I was awake for 24 hours.  I have some days mixed up.  Going to get my notes, so I can make corrections.  lol

I think I made all the necessary corrections.  Sometimes one day runs into another.   Silly7
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 10:26:39 PM by Lola »

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 10:38:42 PM »
I'm SO glad she's doing better! I know that tearing up walls, etc. could have taken a bad turn, but since she was still pooping, it's a much less likelihood of something being stuck.  It's wonderful to hear that she's turned the corner.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Administrator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
    • Parenting Furkids
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 12:07:55 AM »
I'm SO glad she's doing better! I know that tearing up walls, etc. could have taken a bad turn, but since she was still pooping, it's a much less likelihood of something being stuck.  It's wonderful to hear that she's turned the corner.

I didn't even think of wall particles being the possible issue... the first day.  I was leaning towards the beef tripe.  Only because it grosses ME out... is why it was my first thought. 
Then there was the first time egg.  Maybe she is part of the VERY small minority that doesn't tolerate raw eggs? 

Hubby continually wanted to blame the food, and he almost had me convinced... because ya know, they say raw is bad.   bangshead  But NONE of the food had one thing in common with each other.  Not even thawed the same day. 

Maybe she has some sort of elderly dog disease...  especially when we couldn't "tie" the barfing to a particular anything!

Can a dog be THAT sick and still have normal poops?

Soooo many things going through our minds.  What to do... what not to do. 

I have to go over all my notes, and figure it out.... or least try to.  I don't want to blindly assume all is well. 

I just fed her dinner.  She ran into the kitchen.  Did her usual talking and dance, while I was preparing her dish.  Unbelievable JOY...and relief. 

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2017, 06:25:46 AM »
Holding my breath reading that.  So gald she's better.  yes, sometimes to break that puking cycling, a controlled fast is very helpful.  I've done it with cats too.  Glad she is doing better.  For anyone I didn't know I would urge them to take her to the vet.  But I know you and know that you know what you are doing. 

However, once all is calmed down....it may be time for some senior blood work..?

Offline Lola

• Administrator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
    • Parenting Furkids
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2017, 10:11:03 AM »
Lacy is continuing to being 100% her normal self.
5 days of worry on and off.  Up and down.  Got my hopes up...hopes shattered.  You all know the feeling. 

Yes, she does need blood work done.  The last time she was at the vet... we waited for so long to be seen.  There were a few emergencies.  Add in the stress of being around strange animals...for Lacy, not me.  ;)  AND when we finally got into see the vet (that I hadn't met yet) but have admired for so long... I was so giddy with excitement.  Oh, and the thrill of a vet being PRO raw.  There was just tooooooo much going on for my little pea brain.  I FORGOT to request blood work!!  I was/am so pizzed at myself.  Now I have to put Lacy through another visit...   

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2017, 10:30:25 AM »
I didn't even think of wall particles being the possible issue... the first day. 

Calcium sulfate (or calcium sulphate) is the inorganic compound with the formula CaSO4 and related hydrates. In the form of γ-anhydrite (the anhydrous form), it is used as a desiccant. One particular hydrate is better known as plaster of Paris, and another occurs naturally as the mineral gypsum.<---what most wall materials are made of

Ingestion: No known adverse effects. May result in obstruction or temporary irritation of the digestive tract.

https://householdproducts.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/household/brands?tbl=brands&id=14014032

The reason I immediately thought of it is because of the properties of it and the way it sticks together.

https://www.justanswer.com/pet-dog/1a79g-gypsum-bad-dogs.html

Hi there and thanks for your question.
The good news is that there is nothing toxic in gypsum. However, if enough is eaten there is a possibility that it could cause an intestinal obstruction. The chances of that are very small though.
I hope this information helps! If you have more questions regarding this problem, just hit reply. If I am online I will respond right away. Otherwise I will respond as soon as I come online again. Or, if my answer is sufficient, then please hit accept. Thanks!
Dr. Marie.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2017, 11:53:09 AM »
Wow, I didn't realize she and you were going through all that!  I'm glad she's better!  My first thought was the wall, too, but I couldn't remember what day that was.

Hugs and purrs to you and Lacy . . .  Hug1 Hug1 Hug1 Hug1 Hug1 Hug1 HeadButt HeadButt HeadButt :-* :-*
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Tags:

'Hare