Author Topic: Here's the fur pictures  (Read 3398 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Here's the fur pictures
« on: September 02, 2017, 08:57:38 AM »
Mazy cat's fur after being combed looks like this.  One picture is from when there was a bit of a mat there, with three strokes of the comb. The second picture is from ten strokes, no mat.  Where on earth does the curly come from?

Her undercoat is so heavy and plus with such a soft over coat.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
Re: Here's the fur pictures
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2017, 09:00:07 AM »
Neither Jennie or Queen Eva are shedding heavily het, so their combings took several days to accumulate.  First picture is Jennie's, Second picutre is Queen Eva's.  See the difference in theirs compared to Mazy cat's.  Theirs come out of the comb flat. You can see the comb marks, but the fur is flat, as opposed to Mazy's cats which is so curly and flfyy.  Each has her own comb, but all the combs are exactly alike.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2017, 10:39:06 AM »
The second picture is from ten strokes, no mat.  Where on earth does the curly come from?

Is she secretly getting a perm?   Silly7

I briefly wondered if the curl was from the way she lies down or something, but if that was the case then I would think the others would have it, too.  So my guess would be that it's genetic -- who knows what breed(s) are in her DNA. 

Thinking out loud here . . . the curl may be why the fur gets blocked in her sometimes.  Maybe that makes it harder for her to move the fur through?  Is the curly fur soft or coarse?
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2017, 10:50:53 AM »
Can you pull it apart and then see what it looks like?
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2017, 11:36:08 AM »
Is she secretly getting a perm?   Silly7

I briefly wondered if the curl was from the way she lies down or something, but if that was the case then I would think the others would have it, too.  So my guess would be that it's genetic -- who knows what breed(s) are in her DNA. 

Thinking out loud here . . . the curl may be why the fur gets blocked in her sometimes.  Maybe that makes it harder for her to move the fur through?  Is the curly fur soft or coarse?

I've wondered about that myself (the curly nature of it causing extra problems)

Very very very soft.

Can you pull it apart and then see what it looks like?

Still looped.  ;D

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2017, 02:47:29 PM »
That's odd.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2017, 02:57:29 PM »
You know. I don't think her fur was like this before she was on a raw diet. I mean that soft curly stuff.  It was just flat and dull in the comb. When she was on that toxic Hills garbage her coat was a mess. Still heavy but dull. and dry..  Even after going wet with her she still didn't have the nice coat she has now, it was nicer but nothing like it is now. It's beyond incredible now.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2017, 04:03:37 PM »
You know. I don't think her fur was like this before she was on a raw diet. I mean that soft curly stuff.  It was just flat and dull in the comb. When she was on that toxic Hills garbage her coat was a mess. Still heavy but dull. and dry..  Even after going wet with her she still didn't have the nice coat she has now, it was nicer but nothing like it is now. It's beyond incredible now.

WAIT WAIT WAIT!  I' lied.  It's the strangest coincidence but I just found a little packet of paper.  On the outside it says "Mazy fur" 6/20/10  I carefully unfolded it and what I found was a sample of Mazy cat's fur, almost identical to the pictures above.  The same loops and curls.  Not as soft, and slightly darker. 

And inside the paper I wrote "1st multiple stroke grooming!  w/furbuster even"

So I took some pictures of it. (I have others too, of Tolly, Ootay and Bibbs.  Now I want to find them. I don't know why Mazy cat's isn't with theirs. I remember gathering all the little packets into one envelope but I don't know what I've done with it)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2017, 11:12:35 AM »
I'm wondering if she's got one of the "Rex" breeds in her genes?

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2017, 11:54:03 AM »

I've been wondering the same thing Dee! Except...when you look at her fur, it's straight.  Yesterday we were out on the porch and she was snoozing on my lap and allowed me to push her fur out a bit to see a 'cross section' of it.  Straight, all the way down to the skin.  I dind't have my camera handy, but I'll get a shot of that too, to add to this collection.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2017, 12:24:52 PM »

I thought the same thing, and even Googled "Cornish Rex" and "hairballs."  It was very late, though, so I only briefly looked at one site.
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2017, 01:29:14 PM »
I've been wondering the same thing Dee! Except...when you look at her fur, it's straight.  Yesterday we were out on the porch and she was snoozing on my lap and allowed me to push her fur out a bit to see a 'cross section' of it.  Straight, all the way down to the skin.  I dind't have my camera handy, but I'll get a shot of that too, to add to this collection.

But if you look through these Devon Rex cats, you'll see that some of them have straighter hair than others. If it's just a small part of her genetic makeup, that might be part of why:

http://www.cat-breeds-encyclopedia.com/Devon-Rex-cat.html

All the curlies:

http://www.cat-breeds-encyclopedia.com/Curly-haired-cat-breeds.html

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2017, 02:11:28 PM »
Thanks you guys! Mazy cat always has been a very special girl! xx

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2017, 01:56:53 PM »
Do I understand correctly that you don't see curly hair on Mazy... only after you brush the hair off of her?
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2017, 02:35:31 PM »
Do I understand correctly that you don't see curly hair on Mazy... only after you brush the hair off of her?

That is correct   funny2

I will try to get a cross section shot of her lovely thick fur..right down to the skin, today

Tags: