Author Topic: Chipmunks!  (Read 793 times)

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
Chipmunks!
« on: October 01, 2017, 02:39:06 PM »
I have a very large pot on my deck, which contains a couple of bleeding heart plants and some toad lilies.  There is now a chipmunk living in my pot!  I hadn't paid much attention, other than seeing some of the mulch and dirt on my deck, but I thought it was from birds possibly looking for seed (which hasn't been out in months).  Well, I saw the hole a week ago, and saw the rodent run down there after scurrying by my door.

I put some cayenne pepper in an ice cube tray, added water and froze it, then dropped the cubes down the hole.  It was so warm last week, I'm sure it didn't take long to melt.  My hope was that the chipmunk would abandon the hole.

I don't know if it worked.  There's more dirt on my deck now, and the opening may be bigger (I haven't gone out to look).  If in fact the little twirp is still there, any suggestions on how to get rid of it without killing it?  I could try to trap it, but I don't really want to do that, either.  I just want it to leave.  Once it does and the plants die back, I'll put hardware cloth over the pot to keep it out in the future.  I did read that they don't like the smell of bloodmeal, which is also good for plants, and I bought some yesterday but haven't put it down yet.

Any ideas?  If Pookie was here, he'd have a ball watching this . . . and I'd be tempted to let him have a go at the little rodent.

Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 02:49:31 PM by Pookie »
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: Chipmunks!
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2017, 03:49:03 PM »
Know someone with cats that you can get some used litter from? Specifically the part that has urine in it? Cat urine scares them off b/c they smell predator.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
Re: Chipmunks!
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2017, 09:09:29 PM »
Know someone with cats that you can get some used litter from? Specifically the part that has urine in it? Cat urine scares them off b/c they smell predator.

Great idea!  I do know someone just down the street, the trick is reaching her.  She's out a lot with her work.  Thanks, Dee!   :-* :-* :-* :-*

Man, I never thought I'd miss Pookie for the used kitty litter . . .
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Tags: