This And That - Often Non Pet Related Topics > In The News

Banks on alert from FBI about potential 'unlimited' ATM heist worth millions

(1/2) > >>

Pookie:
Just to give everyone a heads-up . . . :(

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2018/08/14/fbi-warns-banks-potential-unlimited-atm-heist-worth-millions/985216002/

--- Quote ---The Federal Bureau of Investigation has warned banks in the U.S. of an impending cybercrime, a heist called an "ATM cash-out," in which thieves seek to swipe millions of dollars by using cloned ATM cards for fraudulent withdrawals.

This globally organized effort could be instigated soon, the FBI told banks Friday, with cybercriminals attempting to amass millions of dollars within a few hours, according to the confidential alert obtained by security researcher Brian Krebs.
--- End quote ---

Just my  2cents . . . if people used that kind of time, effort and creativity to actually do something USEFUL, instead of taking what doesn't belong to them, the world would be a lot better off.

Middle Child:
I have never used an ATM.  ;D

Pookie:

--- Quote from: Middle Child on August 14, 2018, 04:13:04 PM ---I have never used an ATM.  ;D

--- End quote ---

Oh, well, FINE!   :P

Lola:

--- Quote from: Middle Child on August 14, 2018, 04:13:04 PM ---I have never used an ATM.  ;D

--- End quote ---

It doesn't matter if a person has ever used an ATM or not.  It is the criminals who will be using ATM's to make withdrawals. 

--- Quote --- Organized crime gangs typically hack into a bank or payment processor to remove fraud controls, such as maximum withdrawal amounts and limits on number of daily customer ATM transactions, Krebs says. Account balances and security measures within the institution are altered to make an unlimited amount of money available at the time of the illegal transactions.
--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---To commit the crime, cyber criminals create fake bank cards by imprinting stolen credit card data on blank magnetic strip cards, the FBI said. "At a pre-determined time, the co-conspirators withdraw account funds from ATMs using these cards,” the agency said.
--- End quote ---

Middle Child:
Okay.  But I am pretty sure my accounts are set up to NOT be accessed through ATM. I have a vague memory of doing something like that many years ago. Does that sound possible?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version