Author Topic: Wellness Canned  (Read 8986 times)

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
Wellness Canned
« on: June 30, 2011, 02:20:38 PM »
List your experiences with this brand here.
We are still feeding this food, even after the recall.
My cats do really like it.
We feed all the grain free varities in the 12 oz. cans.
Some of the cans seem to be quite runny, really do not like this.
List the codes found on the bottom of the can, and the size and flavour if you have any problems, or if your cats love it.
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: Wellness Canned
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 09:07:16 PM »
We have always fed more than one brand BECAUSE of sooooo many issues with the Pet Food Industry, in general.   bangsheadgif

Wellness was one of the foods being fed at the time of the recall.  We had recalled cans in our pet food pantry, so I know they were fed it FOR SURE.  I would GUESS our furkids were spared any medical issues because it was just one brand that was being fed at the time.

I realllllly would like to completely remove Wellness from our food rotation.  (My reasons would need their own thread!)  
However...with 7 felines, it is one food that is available in larger cans.  Most flavors are grain free.  (We only feed the grain free flavors) Pate consistency goes over better.  Chicken and turkey work the best for our bunch.  Wellness is the ONE brand, so far, that we have no problems with in any way, shape, or form.  So it stays.  For now. *sigh*  

When Wellness is fed here, other brands (smaller cans) are mixed in with it.  Along with extra water.

I am STILL searching for 3 "perfect" brands that I am comfortable with feeding, can afford, and all the furkids will eat, enjoy, and not have any bodily functions issues with.  
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 04:21:31 AM by Lola »
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Tasha

• Yapper
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 10:29:49 AM »
We had recalled cans too~ we also feed in rotation so no harm was done.

I feed the 5.5 oz cans~ I have not noticed them being runny.  I get mostly the chicken & turkey flavors~ it's one food TT almost always eats without a struggle; both cats especially like the jelly  :)

I just got an email from Wellness with a coupon for the new flavors that only come in 3 oz cans~ I'm gonna pick some up tonight and see how they are.  Tiny cans are way to expensive without a coupon though  ;)

cat3

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2011, 02:54:33 PM »
We haven't had any "runny" Wellness in a VERY long time.  We buy the 12.5 oz cans...with 7 there are no left-overs. 

I have heard a few people "go off" about the jelly in...not just Wellness, but other foods as well.  It makes sense to me why there would be jelly.  ??

Tasha, our cats are the same...NO issues (and everyone LOVES it) with Wellness.  That is why I just can't bring myself to take it out of rotation. 

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2011, 05:51:54 PM »
I am still feeding Wellness to one cat, about 25% of her diet. It was 100% before the recall.  I've switched her to 75% Merrick Before Grain (three flavors) and the other 25% is wellness, and other "trial" foods that come through most not to be repeated once a case is used up.

I am stunned by the difference, after about 2 months on Before Grain, as opposed to 100 % wellness in this one cat.  I thought she was doing fantastic on the Wellness.  But her coat is even more plush and thick, NO dandruff at ALL (she was having some, before) her eyes are brighter, and her energy level (not high at the best of times) has increased.

But I too will probably keep Wellness around for once or twice a week, for her only.

By the way, I think it is the 12.5 oz cans only that are not BPA free.  I read that somewhere.

Offline Mo

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2011, 06:11:33 PM »
I feed Wellness to Nightmare.  He gets three flavors: Turkey, Chicken, and Beef & Chicken.  So far I have had no problems, however I just recently started feeding Wellness after the recall.  He gets Wellness for about 25% of his food.

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2011, 06:37:06 PM »
I feed Wellness to Nightmare.  He gets three flavors: Turkey, Chicken, and Beef & Chicken.  So far I have had no problems, however I just recently started feeding Wellness after the recall.  He gets Wellness for about 25% of his food.

Those are the three flavors I use too. :)

I was feeding them to The Kitten too, and she was doing okay on them, but she has developed an intolerance to chicken, and all of those contain chicken.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2011, 02:44:19 AM »

By the way, I think it is the 12.5 oz cans only that are not BPA free.  I read that somewhere.

That is correct, but... (do what you want with this info) A person (or cat) would have to be exposed to HUGE amounts daily, to be affected in any way.  Mannnnnny foods (and other products) packaged for humans contain BPA as well.  I have a "fact" sheet around here somewhere...

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2011, 07:34:32 AM »
That is correct, but... (do what you want with this info) A person (or cat) would have to be exposed to HUGE amounts daily, to be affected in any way.  Mannnnnny foods (and other products) packaged for humans contain BPA as well.  I have a "fact" sheet around here somewhere...

Yep I read that same info.  Bottom line, we can find something "wrong" with just about everything, if we look hard enough.  I'm sure it's fine to use the large cans. :)

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2011, 12:23:12 PM »
Wellness Chicken 12.5 oz cans
MW 10 18:05 BB Mar 14/14

Food is basically like soup, very runny.

Offline Mo

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2011, 07:30:08 PM »
Wellness Turkey 12.5 oz cans
MW9 05:21  BB March 19 2014

Nightmare is loving this batch, it has a very nice smooth consistancy and is seems to be more moist than normal, though it isn't runny.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2011, 11:08:12 AM »
Pookie, weirdo that he is, won't eat Wellness that has "7w" on the bottom.  For whatever reason he just won't touch it, though he will eat the Turkey & Salmon with a little coaxing.  I'm guessing either the fish smell/taste is just enough to overcome whatever it is that's putting him off.  And of course, since the recall, I can't find ANY Wellness that does NOT have 7w on it :'( :'( :'(   so he's only getting the turkey & salmon once in a while.

Prior to the recall, he was getting the chicken, turkey, and turkey & salmon.  For a while he'd also get the beef & chicken but then he stopped liking it.  Maybe those were 7w cans -- I hadn't figured that out yet so I didn't look and just stopped buying it.
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2011, 11:54:10 AM »
I'm surprised felina hasn't posted in this thread.  felina!!!  Where are you?  Don't be shy...   cat3

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2011, 06:49:46 PM »
Wellness Turkey 12.5 oz cans
MW9 05:21  BB March 19 2014

Nightmare is loving this batch, it has a very nice smooth consistancy and is seems to be more moist than normal, though it isn't runny.
 We get the same batches as we dont live that far from each other.
I could pour my cans out like water, blech!!!

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2011, 07:00:06 PM »
 We get the same batches as we dont live that far from each other.
I could pour my cans out like water, blech!!!

I  have only had that happen one time in a couple of years.  I wrote the company asking if they were changing their recipe from pate to...mush.  (I worded "mush" differently.)  Don't remember the exact explanation that was give to me...other than, no, they weren't changing the consistency.  I was offered my money back.  

Current Turkey 12.5 cans:
MW9 05:18
(A) Best By March 19, 2014

Current Chicken 12.5 cans:
MW10 15:53
(A) Best By Jan 5, 2014

All good.

Tags: wellness wet