Author Topic: Am I going to have to give up drinking milk?  (Read 6527 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Am I going to have to give up drinking milk?
« on: December 05, 2015, 04:23:15 PM »
It appears that all the stores around here have stopped offering milk in the waxed paper cartons.  I can't abide the taste of milk stored in plastic, not to mention it seems there probably isn't much nutrition left in it, after all the exposure to light.

Milk is my main source of protein and calcium and I love it.  I am devastated.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: Am I going to have to give up drinking milk?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2015, 06:41:58 PM »
I'm sorry. Before I found out I had new allergies, the only milk I drank came from glass jars. When it first became available to us, I noticed so much of a difference in the taste that I was shocked. Even if I weren't allergic to it now, I know what you mean. I wouldn't be able to drink from plastic again.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2015, 07:40:37 PM »
I grew up drinking Carnation instant powdered non fat milk.  I've been thinking about it...I just priced it on Amazon.  We had it as kids because it was cheap.  The price on Amazon is outrageous.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2015, 10:03:01 AM »
There's always powdered goat milk too.  :D
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2015, 11:58:09 AM »
I saw that.  Would it be..healthier?  That is, if I could adjust to the taste.  The thing is, I LOVE my milk.  I go trough a half gallon every 2 days.  Or at least I used to.

There is an organic brand still in cardboard cartons.  But..it tastes a little funny to me, maybe I could get used to it, but it's 4 dollars a gallon!

And one more thing...I use the empty cartons.  I wash them out and use them for wet-trash.  You know, coffee grounds, what remains in the sink drain after dumping out the dish water, cat food can lids, stuff like that.

I may have to get used to the organic, but I'm going to have to cut my use down by at least a third to adjust my budget for the added cost. Which will reduce my protein and calcium, also.  Damn.

I'm going to price the store brand of powdered milk next time I go.  If it's cheap, maybe I can compromise between the two.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2015, 01:30:22 PM »
Goat milk is definitely healthier for you than cow milk, esp. if it's raw.  It's also more digestible.  In my state, raw milk of any kind is illegal, but in other states like Pennsylvania, it's not.  My Shop-Rite carries Organic Valley cow milk, which is grass-fed, in 1/2 gallon cartons.  It's expensive, though.

So in terms of health, there's your regular pastuerized/homogenized cow milk, which really isn't very nutritious, then raw cow milk, which is better, then pastuerized goat milk, which is even better, and best is raw goat milk.  The odds are also higher that the goats were grass-fed and not grain-fed (GMO), which means the Omega 3:6 ratio is probably healthier.

As for taste, I can tell you I buy the pastueurized goat milk (also available at my Shop-Rite and my super Wal-Mart) and it did take getting used to, but I'm fine with it now.  It's sold in quarter gallons and it's also expensive, so I don't drink a lot of it.  Since I don't eat breakfast cereal anymore, I don't need much of it, anyway, but I will use it in a protein shake now and then, or just drink it "as is" when I want some protein and to feel a little full, esp. at bedtime.

You mention one of the reasons for drinking milk is the calcium.  You may already be aware of this, but just in case, you also need magnesium and vitamin D for good bone health, and most people are deficient in magnesium.  Your body can't really assimilate the calcium without magnesium.

I don't know if any of this information helps, but I just wanted to put it out there.  I've tasted the Organic Valley milk, and it tastes like milk, just . . . more like milk, if that makes sense.  I would need to get used to the fat in it, though, which is also in the goat milk.  And just my  2cents, people shouldn't worry about the fat in milk.  We need fat in our diet for our nervous system and brain.

I hope this helps!

p.s.  If there are farms/farmer's markets or co-ops near you, it may be possible to get milk for a lower price, and it would be fresher.  You'd also know the source of what you're buying.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 01:32:24 PM by Pookie »
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2015, 03:44:17 PM »
If you live around farmers that produce milk, some of them will let you "buy a share" of a cow or goat.

Then you are allowed to have it raw b/c it's part your animal and you can do anything you want with that animal.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2015, 04:24:35 PM »
Thanks Dee for lots of info! I don't think I would drink raw milk.

I do take magnesium and Vitamin D supplements.

I drink fat free milk because I prefer the taste, and because I drink so much of it. I'd be a cow if I drank regular milk or even 2%, with the amount I drink.  Or did drink anyway. It's my main source of protein, I don't see how I can do without it.

I had bought a plastic bottle of it yesterday out of desperation because I had none.  It is nasty,. Really really nasty.  How can anyone drink it?

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2015, 04:39:57 PM »
Many have been doing away with the cartons due to cost and they aren't recycle friendly. 
Do you like Almond milk?  The brand "Silk" still comes in a carton.  I can't remember if any of it is regular milk though. 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2015, 05:42:55 PM »
All the Almond milks I looked at contain carrageenan or sugar or both not to mention other gums and stuff.  I just want plain non fat cow's milk that doesn't taste like plastic.Sometimes I wonder what is the point of anything.  I can't even find decent milk.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2015, 08:08:17 PM »
Plain Cashew (no sugar or vanilla added) milk is better than Almond milk. I'll actually eat cereal with cashew milk.

I'm not going to look at the ingredients. I've gotta draw the line somewhere or I'm liable to scare myself into never having anything at all. I'm officially sick of being tortured by things because I can't have them, but I'm craving them.  I drink Silk brand's Dark Chocolate Almond and Plain Cashew.

I like goat milk or cheese products for eating and cooking (or sheep cheese), but I do NOT like drinking it. I tastes greasy to me. The low fat one isn't as bad, but I still don't like it as much as Cashew milk.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2015, 08:20:01 PM »
I have to look at ingredients.  Carageenan makes me ill. So does HFCS. I just don't know about those almond and cashew milks,  they are made from nuts? What the heck is that? Cashew milk, really?  It makes me gag just thinking about it.  I hate cashews LOL.

I already eat almonds every day, it's part of my lunch protein.

I put Nestle's Quick in the milk from the plastic bottle to try to make it more palatable. It didn't work.  So I'm having orange juice with my "cookies and milk".

I don't know how anyone can drink milk from those plastic cartons.  My gosh it's foul.

I like goat milk or cheese products for eating and cooking (or sheep cheese), but I do NOT like drinking it. I tastes greasy to me.

That's kind of how the organic fat free milk tastes.  It tastes..fatty. Even though it is fat free, owever it does have 10 calories more per cup than the non organic.  I don't know why that is.  But I think I'm going to have to get used to it. I don't think I can give up milk.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2015, 08:24:51 PM »
Just my  2cents, but if you're going to get used to the fat free, you might be able to get used to the kind with fat in it.  Fat really is good for you, despite what the medical profession would have you think.  Ok, I'll stop now.   :)
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2015, 05:43:36 AM »
Don't worry, I get plenty of fat in my diet already!  ;D

Breakfast is 2 tbs organic peanut butter, 1 egg white and 2 triscuit crackers

midmorning snack - apple

Lunch is 1/4 cup almonds, a bowl of cheerios with a banana sliced in (and milk)

Supper is usually some kind of chicken, or homemade soup or other left overs from Sunday or the freezer, and a salad (lettuce, celery, carrot, sometimes cheese, sometimes hard-boiled egg, sometimes cranberries) with regular dressings, or canned peas or canned green beans. 12-14 oz milk

Bed time is "cookies and milk" (2 crunchy granola bars, glass of milk) 12-14 oz milk

The goal being at least 50 g protein a day which I just about meet with the current amount of milk I drink.

I've settled on the $4 a half gallon organic non fat milk.  I'm just going to have to cut back on the amount I drink a little to make up the cost of it. If I cut back 8 oz of milk a day I need to find another source of protein for that 8 g.

If I go under 50 g of protein a day the fibromyalgia becomes unmanageable.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2015, 05:30:08 PM »
I've always hated milk, but almost always buy it in the plastic jugs... maybe that is why I hate it. 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Tags: