Author Topic: For Everyone That Understands--But Shouldn't Have To  (Read 4610 times)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
For Everyone That Understands--But Shouldn't Have To
« on: October 17, 2014, 03:41:01 PM »
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: For Everyone That Understands--But Shouldn't Have To
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2014, 06:09:58 PM »
WOW... pretty "powerful" song, especially with him singing it.  I would imagine he also wrote it.  ??
Last I read, he was in an alzheimer's facility. 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2014, 06:12:52 PM »
I Googled...

Country music’s legendary rhinestone cowboy, Glen Campbell, is taking his last bow this fall. The 78-year-old, who was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease in 2011, said farewell to fans on a Goodbye Tour in 2012, but this week marked the official sunset of Campbell’s professional music career. The week before the release of the documentary Glen Campbell: I’ll Be Me, the Country Music Hall of Fame member released his final single, a heartbreaking ballad called I’m Not Gonna Miss You, which was recorded in early 2013 for the film.

The song doesn’t mince words as it reflects on the degenerative destruction of Alzheimer’s: “I’m still here, but yet I’m gone/I don’t play guitar or sing my songs,” Campbell groans in the opening stanza. But the track is more than a mournful lament – it’s a love letter to his wife of 32 years, Kimberly Woolen. Campbell muses on the chorus: “You’re the last person I will love/You’re the last face I will recall/Best of all, I’m not gonna miss you.” It’s a harrowing and romantic sentiment, and one that feels well-suited to a country song.
http://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/oct/17/glen-campbell-country-stars-death

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2014, 06:57:08 PM »

Last I read, he was in an alzheimer's facility. 

Yes. One of his daughters was raising Cain about him being put in a facility instead of being kept at home. There are things that go on closer to the end though that really need 24/7 care in a place that they can't get out of unless caregivers let them out. It's close to impossible of making a regular home into that kind of locked situation.

It's also a lot better to get them acclimated to a new place so that the shock isn't so great later on once they really start losing it. Not being acclimated causes even more confusion that makes the very end even worse. You know that as well as I do though. I wish my mom would pay attention to that fact.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 06:59:46 PM by DeeDee »
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2014, 07:16:20 PM »
I don't know if I can watch the video after reading the quote.  Maybe tomorrow.  I love Glen Campbell.  I didn't know he had Alzheimers, but I guess I haven't really thought about him or his music in years, unless I hear a song on the radio. God, I hate that disease.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2014, 08:24:50 PM »
Families tend to argue about what is best.  I remember reading the daughter wasn't happy, but I don't remember reading if she was willing to take him in.  Also, I would (I think) want my husband to have the final say of what to do with me (assuming he is of sound mind)... not my kids. 

My opinion and my experience (and my two cents)... whatever works for the patient and the main care-giver.  I don't think any situation is cut and dry.  Toooo many factors.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2014, 09:15:13 PM »
Families tend to argue about what is best.  I remember reading the daughter wasn't happy, but I don't remember reading if she was willing to take him in.  Also, I would (I think) want my husband to have the final say of what to do with me (assuming he is of sound mind)... not my kids. 

We've already talked about it, and we've talked to the boys. If something like this starts happening to one of us, we expect the other one to be up front and fast. After getting a definitive diagnosis, then we're going to go pick out where we want to go so that the other person doesn't have to make that decision when it's time that the effected one can't be handled at home. We're taking part of the decision away from the one that will eventually be in charge. That way, the one in charge can't be like my mom is and refuse to make a decision due to emotional reasons.

If either of us gets to the point Daddy is at, we don't want to be at home. We want to be somewhere that's safer for us and the other ones. The anger that comes about is dangerous for the effected one and the people around them. Patients' families aren't allowed to have the proper drugs to calm them down fast. Neither one of us wants to see the other one with the kind of anger Daddy's exhibiting.

Make an agreement now, in case it happens, so that it never comes too late like it's going to come for my mom when he finally gets lost in the anger.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2014, 11:09:28 AM »
We were able to give my MIL meds to calm her down quickly.  However, it was a med she was already taking.  So it was easy to up the dose... and her not know it.  Just to be clear...it was doctor suggested and "supervised." 

For me personally, it is just too difficult to make clear cut plans.  Too many possible variables.  Just my two cents.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 11:11:07 AM by Lola »

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2014, 12:01:52 PM »
We were able to give my MIL meds to calm her down quickly.  However, it was a med she was already taking.  So it was easy to up the dose... and her not know it.  Just to be clear...it was doctor suggested and "supervised." 

The Dr's aren't giving us that option at all. Their solution to it a few weeks ago--up the Celexa that he's been taking since he became depressed right after his diagnosis. That wasn't a good idea at all. Had him crawling out of his skin--hyper, sweating, agitated, belligerent, angrier. That was a really rough weekend.

The new things they've got him on since after that weekend--Namenda and Axona--have helped some, and he seems calmer since being on them, but we still have some issues if he becomes confused again like after being in crowds for a while during things like grocery shopping.

If it weren't for that ^&%*# pain management Dr., my mom might make some better decisions, but it is what it is with that issue too.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2014, 12:07:37 PM »
You are in an awful situation, DeeDee.  As well as your mother AND father.  :(

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2016, 07:39:55 PM »
I watched Glen Campbell's "I'll Be Me" biography today. 
I'm not sure what I expected, but it wasn't what I expected. 

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2016, 07:42:01 AM »
I had no idea the Alzheimers was already so advanced, when he did his last tour.  The tour was originally supposed to be for promoting his new album (at the time), but it was too difficult for him to remember the new songs.  He sang all his oldies.

It was bittersweet to see how music/singing would bring him back to reality and make him SO happy. 

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2016, 11:37:54 AM »
Yes. A lot of Alzheimer patients live completely in the past.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2016, 03:30:05 PM »
Yes. A lot of Alzheimer patients live completely in the past.

Most definitely.  VERY common.

The video that is posted here... it probably took a lot of editing and retakes, but he was already pretty far gone when it was recorded.  A person would never know it though.  At least I had no clue.  I just assumed he recorded it at the very beginning stage of the disease. 

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2016, 04:45:20 PM »

Tags: