Author Topic: How much more time should I give it?  (Read 7494 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: How much more time should I give it?
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2013, 12:14:41 PM »
Hmmm ... I could try that, using crumbled PureBites treats as the topper.  That's what I use on food he's not interested in to get him to eat it.  Thanks MC!   :-* :-* HeadButt HeadButt

You're welcome.  PureBites is popular here too, but it doesn't work for SK as a krill topper because she simply picks the pieces of chicken out of the krill daintily with her teeth.  funny2  The Vet's-Best is crushed to a dust that coats and soaks into the krill, and she approves of that.

It does sound like the PureBites will work for Pookie though.  Let us know!

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2013, 12:36:32 PM »
You might want to do what I was told to do with Barkly when I was transitioning him. In his case it was give him only a teaspoon full at a time 3x a day until he was up to a full meal. With a cat it would be a lot less though...probably just a pinch.

Hi DeeDee -- are you referring to the clay or the raw?  He gets raw for a bedtime snack and doesn't usually have a problem with it.  In the past, though, if I gave it to him first thing in the morning, he couldn't keep it down.  It may have been that particular brand, but he's done that with canned, too, so he gets smaller meals - 1/4 can when I get up, 1/4 can before I leave for work, 1/4 when I get home and 1/4 at least 40 minutes later.  If I get home later than usual, or he's just super-excited (morning or evening), the first meal is ~1/8 can, 40 minute wait, 1/8 can, 40 minute wait, then the 1/4 can.  He's trained me well.   funny2

It does sound like the PureBites will work for Pookie though.  Let us know!

The chicken doesn't seem to crumble well, but the duck PureBites do, so I tend to use that, though I try not to mix proteins.  So if it's canned with mostly chicken, I'll use the chicken treats.  For the salmon oil, I'll try the duck.

I'll keep you posted!  (I LOVE you guys!)
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2013, 12:40:11 PM »
Hi DeeDee -- are you referring to the clay or the raw? 

I was talking about the raw. But since it's been given for a long time, it can't be that. Poor Pookie.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2013, 02:18:55 PM »
Pookie's mum, what exactly does Pookie eat right now?
Have to go to work now, but will be back late tonight.
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2013, 03:07:52 PM »
Hi Shadow,

It had been:

Go! chicken, turkey & duck
Wellness Core turkey & duck
NVI rabbit
Wellness Core chicken & turkey
NVI duck
(Bedtime snacks):  Primal raw (turkey, chicken & salmon, beef & salmon which he can handle, pheasant); RadCat turkey; Radcat chicken; store brand raw chicken hearts & gizzards.

To go carageenan-free, I had to pull the Go! and Wellness Core and replace that with NVI chicken (he doesn't care for it), various non-fish flavors of Weruva, the Tikicat egg & chicken (he wouldn't eat the egg  bangshead) and the TOTW Rocky Mtn Feline.  I also found a brand called Party Animal that's carageenan-free and made in USA, but he didn't seem interested in that, either.   bangshead bangshead bangshead  Friday will be the 2 week mark, and as much as I'd rather not do this, I may have to give him the foods with carageenan for a bit longer.  The Weruva just doesn't seem to satisfy him, and he's not a fan of the Tikicat (at that price, neither am I).  And I'm not sure, but I think his lip got worse with the TOTW because of all the fish. 

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2013, 01:03:11 AM »
Does Pookie get a lot of the NVI Rabbit, this was my first red flag. As this rabbit is sourced from china.
Looks like Pookie gets a  lot of duck too, could this be eliminated? You will really have to try an elimination diet. I would first eliminate the Rabbit. Then try the duck, then last but not least the chicken. Eliminate one at a time.
Im assuming that you are using glass plates for the food right?

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2013, 09:22:54 AM »
Hi Shadow,

He was getting the rabbit once every 5 days, as the rotation was 1 can/day plus the bedtime snack.  Same with the duck.  After going carageenan-free, he hadn't gotten the rabbit in at least a week, and I didn't notice an improvement during that time.  What I have noticed, before attempting this, was that the days following Wellness Core or Go!, the lip seemed a bit more inflamed than the day after getting NVI.  That's why I thought it might be the carageenan, since those products contain it while the NVI doesn't.

[Correction:  I had said one of the Wellness Core's was chicken & turkey.  It's actually chicken, turkey and chicken liver]

I'm hoping to get a picture of his lip so you all can see what I'm talking about, but he hasn't been very cooperative.   I'll keep trying.

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2013, 11:02:10 AM »
You could also try putting organic virgin coconut oil on his lip.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2013, 11:12:07 AM »
You could also try putting organic virgin coconut oil on his lip.

Really?  I've never heard of that before . . . is it safe to ingest?  I can just see him licking it off.   ::)  I'm guessing it has anti-inflammatory properties?

THIS . . . is why I love this place.  grouphug . . . you all are the BEST!

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2013, 11:34:21 AM »
I thought about telling you that (I give it to Vlad, but can't with Barkly b/c he quits eating), but then remembered what someone said in this thread about it:

http://parenting-furkids.com/index.php?topic=810.0

So, I was afraid to suggest it.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2013, 12:48:32 PM »
Im not afraid to recommend it. I use it for myself and the cats. It is fine for them to ingest it. Its also good for hairballs. Just let it melt on your finger and put it on Pookies lip. Shadow sometimes gets a swollen eyelid maybe once a year, not sure why. I use it for that and it goes away in two days. They actually love the taste of it. i give it to Wilson for his hairballs, I dont give a lot, just a 1/4 tsp for a few days, then once a week after that if he has an episode.

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2013, 01:09:17 PM »
I'm the one who is anti-coconut oil for cats, because cats should not have medium chain triglycerides. :)  However I would think that just putting a tiny bit (extra-virgin cold pressed organic) on that swelling once a day probably wouldn't hurt. He wouldn't be ingesting all that much.

In another forum there are members always singing the praises of colloidal silver. People whose opinions and research I trust, I mean. (they also use coconut oil, haha) I have not ever tried it, but it might be something else for you to look into.

I do recommend trying only one thing at a time.  HeadButt

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2013, 01:35:36 PM »
They actually love the taste of it. i give it to Wilson for his hairballs, I dont give a lot, just a 1/4 tsp for a few days, then once a week after that if he has an episode.

Vlad loves it so much that he'll eat it straight from the spoon (so I don't get it in his beard), and when he was having those puppy acne episodes, I'd rub some right on the pimples I'd find and they'd be gone within 2 days.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2013, 02:12:45 PM »
In another forum there are members always singing the praises of colloidal silver. People whose opinions and research I trust, I mean. (they also use coconut oil, haha) I have not ever tried it, but it might be something

I've considered the colloidal silver, and tried it for a day or two but had a heck of a time putting it on his lip.  Let's face it, that's not the easiest place to treat, and for all I know, my touching it bothered him.  I may try it again.  I just was really hoping to figure out what's causing it so I could remove it and then his lip could heal on it's own.

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2013, 08:22:43 AM »
How about an update on Pookie's lip?

Tags: