Author Topic: Jenkins Stole Beef Roast Fat  (Read 4001 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: Jenkins Stole Beef Roast Fat
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2018, 01:40:25 PM »
Right now, he is running around and playing...
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2018, 01:43:20 PM »
Good!  I did see information that states that symptoms can be delayed though.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2018, 01:43:30 PM »
Her office JUST closed a few minutes ago.  However, she is the type that will allow me to bring him in after hours... if I can catch him.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2018, 01:47:20 PM »
Just thought of something....  the spices were added to the broth.  The roast was put on top of the broth.  The fat part of the roast wasn't cooked in the broth. 
Just giving you more info...

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2018, 01:48:26 PM »
I'm going to go shower, so I can be ready to run out the door with him... if need be.  I'll check back in a few...

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2018, 01:50:56 PM »
Just thought of something....  the spices were added to the broth.  The roast was put on top of the broth.  The fat part of the roast wasn't cooked in the broth. 
Just giving you more info...

That is excellent.  Remember to tel the vet!

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2018, 02:24:51 PM »
If you are sure he didn't have any of the spices, I doubt there is much cause for worry.  Like I said maybe some loose stool because of the excess fat.  But maybe not even that.  Queen Eva once stole a huge wad of raw duck skin and slurped it down before I could stop her. She never even had a loose poop from it.  funny2

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2018, 02:58:31 PM »
Vet called.  She said to watch him.  He may throw up.  Have diarrhea.  She thinks it is pretty unlikely that he got enough spices in him to be a serious problem. 

For lunch, he was interested in eating.  I only gave him about a tablespoon of turkey and tablespoon of water.  His tummy has GOT to be full! 
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 03:02:17 PM by Lola »

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2018, 03:03:28 PM »
THANK YOU for your help!!!

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2018, 03:56:59 PM »
 love1 love1

Who knew Jenkins, former kibble addict, would ever become such an opportunist?

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2018, 08:52:39 PM »
Jenkins won't let me close enough to touch him (normal), but I have been checking on him about every hour.  No drooling.  Haven't found any throw up.  He played like normal.  No hiding. No lethargy.  The things that I can check from a distance...are good. 
The vet did say if anything horrible horrible was going to happen, it would be fairly soon. 
Oh, and he did beg for food from our dinner table.  Begging for him, is sitting within food toss distance... and winking at us. 

Normally when we are preparing food, he sits nice on a stool that is at the counter... and blinks, of course.  Depending on what we are fixing, he often gets samples.  Today no samples.  So when hubby turned his back, to wash his hands...Jenkins got his own sample!  He hauled butt down the hall and under the bed area.  Hubby felt awful. 

The fat didn't worry me so much.  It was all the spices! 

I'll make sure Lilly sleeps with me tonight.  Lilly will snuggle me and Jenkins will snuggle her.  I will be able to get a much closer look at him then. I will also be able to touch him then...feel his mouth area to make double sure he isn't drooling, check his tummy, etc.  Night time, with Lilly close by, is when he is most open to human touching.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 09:46:38 PM by Lola »

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2018, 09:33:33 PM »
I am going to HAVE to learn how to catch a cat that does NOT want to be caught. 

I've never pushed the issue with him, because he has come sooooooo far.  I don't want to undo what trust he does have in us.  It took him soooooo long to not totally fear us. 
I KNOW everyone is wondering about vet visits... I have only taken him once    :-[...and I had a lady with LOADS of experience come over.  She caught him by the scruff of the neck and put him in a carrier.  Scruffing barely phased him.  He fought, as if his life was on the line.  Once he was at the vet's... he didn't move at all.  That was actually the first time I ever pet him.   

When he allows pets, from me and hubby only.  I do sometimes put my hands under him, as if I am going to pick him up... just to see if I can get him used to my hands around him.  Or him more comfortable with me, in general.  He wants no part of that.  I don't do it every time, because I don't want him to stop trusting me completely again. 

We got him at a year old.  He wasn't a people cat then.  Him trusting us at all is huge.  We started slow... treats, shorts pets, rubbing his ears, rubbing under his chin, etc...all of that has taken years. He will take a treat from our hands now, but he is quick to do so. He prefers tossed treats.  He only just recently will sleep in a bed with me, at times... without Lilly. 

He is difficult to explain.  He doesn't walk around in fear of us all the time... we know his limits, and he knows we know.  If that makes any sense.  We pet, play, talk, and interact with him EVERY day, but... on his terms. 
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 09:37:21 PM by Lola »

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2018, 09:46:50 PM »
I am going to HAVE to learn how to catch a cat that does NOT want to be caught. 

Tru Tips to Catch a Cat

Sometimes you just have to catch a cat for their own good.  You might feel like a terrible person for tricking them and upsetting them.  Cats often argue and resist help, even when they are very sick. Resolve to help the cat no matter how much he or she complains and resists!
Catch Your Cat for an Appointment by Shutting Extra Rooms Off the Day Before the Appointment
Most cats are not difficult to catch.  The cats are not mean and they do not hate their family.  The problem with catching the cat lies in the people’s technique and the cat’s lack of experience with being carried.  If you carry and lift your cat several times a day, maybe take walks to the food bowl, then catching your cat for a physical is no big deal.

Some cats hate to be lifted or touched, except on their terms.  A cat that only comes to you on their own terms is difficult to catch on schedule on the day of a vet appointment!

The night before the appointment, find your cat.  Shut your cat into one small room.  If that is impossible, then shut all the doors to other rooms. You will cut your cat-finding and cat-digging-out activities considerably!  Try to keep the cat out of a room with a large bed under which to hide!  (It can be difficult to get them out in the morning!)

If your cat is under the bed, try getting the vacuum out and setting it as if you are going to start vacuuming.  Turn it on for noise and most cats will run out from under the bed!

To Catch a Cat: Offer a favorite food and grab the cat
Be rotten.  Catch ’em while they are eating!  The down-side is this: if you miss, the cat will not trust you for a while, or ever.  Do not attempt this technique unless you are sure it will work right the first time; you will not get a second chance.

Habituate the Cat to the Carrier
Be sly.  Put the food in a carrier for a week.  As your cat gets comfortable with the crate, even if you cannot actually touch your cat or lift your cat, at least Kitty will not panic so much when you finally shut the door.  Again, be decisive.  If you bungle the door-shutting, kitty is probably done with eating out of that carrier!

Advanced Cat-Catching Technique
The Pillow Case
Be quick.  Get an old pillow case.  The sturdier the fabric, the better.

Bunch up the pillow case like you do a sock before you put it on your foot.

Slip the case over the cat’s head from above (when he’s not looking, preferably with his head plastered in a food bowl.)

Slide the case over the body; get those hind legs and claws in there quickly!

The Key to the Pillow Case Technique
Then *KEY* slide the cat bundle in a case into a hard-sided cat carrier.  If kitty is still wrapped, you may carefully open the case and let the cat turn around and breathe fresh air.  At this point, some cats are already carving their way out of the pillow case with their angry stabby claws, and you need not worry about their breathing situation; they will take care of that!

Shut the carrier door before you lose the cat!

More cat-herding at: https://virtuavet.wordpress.com/2010/09/06/how-to-catch-an-uncatchable-cat/
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2018, 09:55:57 PM »
Those are great tips for MOST cats. 

There was one tip I haven't tried... 
We leave a carrier out.  Jenkins doesn't go near it.  However, Jenkins always eats his meals in the bathroom.  I think I will put a carrier in there, put his food in it... close the door, and leave him alone.  With me NOT in the bathroom.... he might just go for it.  He LOVES his meals.  If he goes for it, and gets comfortable....that will be my way to catch him, when needed. 
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 09:59:52 PM by Lola »

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2018, 10:10:05 PM »
Those are great tips for MOST cats. 

There was one tip I haven't tried... 
We leave a carrier out.  Jenkins doesn't go near it.  However, Jenkins always eats his meals in the bathroom.  I think I will put a carrier in there, put his food in it... close the door, and leave him alone.  With me NOT in the bathroom.... he might just go for it.  He LOVES his meals.  If he goes for it, and gets comfortable....that will be my way to catch him, when needed. 

That's a good plan. Lola, you have made huge huge strides with him over the years. And the progress will continue, even if there are set backs like vet visits.

Tags: