Author Topic: Kelp?  (Read 1872 times)

Offline Catgirl64

• Chatter Bug
Kelp?
« on: January 07, 2018, 05:41:57 AM »
I have some kelp powder (actually, it's kelp, flax seed, and cranberries) that I got for the cats months ago, but just now opened.  Is this safe to add to food made with Alnutrin, and if it is, should I leave out the green-lipped mussel?  I got it because it's supposed to be good for cats with urinary tract issues, which I don't anticipate having again, anyway, with them on raw, but I would like to use it if it is safe for them.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: Kelp?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2018, 06:52:20 AM »
You have to be careful with Kelp because it's full of iodine, and you can completely mess up their thyroids. I use spirulina one day a week, and a tiny pinch of kelp one day a week along with their daily alfalfa powder.

That Alnutrin is going to add all the extra stuff they need, and you might end up at emergency if you put kelp on top of that.

Most of this applies to cats too:

https://pets.thenest.com/benefits-kelp-dogs-5321.html
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Catgirl64

• Chatter Bug
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2018, 07:39:58 AM »
You have to be careful with Kelp because it's full of iodine, and you can completely mess up their thyroids. I use spirulina one day a week, and a tiny pinch of kelp one day a week along with their daily alfalfa powder.

That Alnutrin is going to add all the extra stuff they need, and you might end up at emergency if you put kelp on top of that.

Most of this applies to cats too:

https://pets.thenest.com/benefits-kelp-dogs-5321.html

Oh, my.  Thank you!  I won't toss it, but I won't use it, either, until I learn more about how to do so safely.  I'm glad I asked, as I see that there is some in those base mixes, anyway.  Hopefully not too much, particularly given how I am using them, but now I am concerned about that, too.   Should I leave the Alnutrin out of the dogs' food when I use a base mix, and encourage them to eat some chicken feet or necks, instead?   
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 07:49:26 AM by Catgirl64 »

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2018, 07:42:22 AM »
I agree with Dee, I would not use it.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2018, 08:26:54 AM »
Should I leave the Alnutrin out of the dogs' food when I use a base mix, and encourage them to eat some chicken feet or necks, instead?   

When using the base mixes, I'd not worry about having Alnutrin in it since you're using less than the recommended amounts of base mix. It's only the recommended daily allowance on the boxes if you're actually using the recommended amounts.

"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2018, 09:39:02 AM »
I don't put Alnutrin in the dog's food, when I use a base mix. 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Catgirl64

• Chatter Bug
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2018, 09:42:33 AM »
I don't put Alnutrin in the dog's food, when I use a base mix.

When using the base mixes, I'd not worry about having Alnutrin in it since you're using less than the recommended amounts of base mix. It's only the recommended daily allowance on the boxes if you're actually using the recommended amounts.

This raises another question.  Since I am using less than the recommended amount of base mix, is it still okay to leave out the Alnutrin?  I know the dogs don't need the added taurine, but what about the rest of the stuff in there, that is meant as a replacement for bone and organs other than liver?  I don't want to leave it out if they should have it, but if they don't need it, I would prefer to save it just for the cats.  It gets used up quickly, with so many animals!

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2018, 10:36:23 AM »
I think you should just add some extra alfalfa powder and find some hearts somewhere. I know they don't "need" taurine like cats, but I give ours hearts anyway. Even if they don't have them regularly, most butchers should be able to get some chicken hearts for them.

I've been using nothing but alfalfa powder plus a tiny pinch of kelp one day, and switch the kelp for spirulina 3 days later for quite a while now. I've not seen any difference in them since I quit the Vetriscience Canine Plus vitamins.

The canine plus vitamins made my vet feel safer, but they changed their formulation, and I just haven't gone back once I ran out of what I had.

Along with some kind of omega-3 oil, and your dogs should be set.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2018, 01:47:17 PM »
This raises another question.  Since I am using less than the recommended amount of base mix, is it still okay to leave out the Alnutrin?  I know the dogs don't need the added taurine, but what about the rest of the stuff in there, that is meant as a replacement for bone and organs other than liver?  I don't want to leave it out if they should have it, but if they don't need it, I would prefer to save it just for the cats.  It gets used up quickly, with so many animals!

I wondered about that too.  I nixed Honest Kitchen from Lacy dog's rotation.  I didn't want to change Honest Kitchen's directions, to avoid the over-load of fruits and veggies.   I replaced it with Dr. Harvey's base.  (I add my own meat and his fish oil....according to the directions.) 

My theory (feel free to correct me DeeDee... or anyone else)...  rotation, rotation, rotation (if you can) will keep everything balanced. 
Lacy eats meat (with organs and bones) from My Pet Carnivore and Hare-Today.  She also has meat meals (no bone) with added liver and Alnutrin.  Then there are the base meals (Dr. Harvey).
I also sometimes buy from Raw Feeding Miami... and she likes Rad Cat also. 
Nothing is fed two days in a row.  I always have at least 3 different type of meals in rotation. 

PS  Some say dogs don't need fruits and veggies.  I don't personally agree.  However, I am okay with not feeding fruits and veggies with every meal.   
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 01:57:21 PM by Lola »

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2018, 02:08:15 PM »

My theory (feel free to correct me DeeDee... or anyone else)...  rotation, rotation, rotation (if you can) will keep everything balanced. 

That's what most raw feeders say. Balance over time instead of every meal, and variety. The only thing that's a sure deal every meal for mine is liver. I had a bit of a hard time getting Barkly to eat liver, so it's at every meal since I got him to eat it. I know a lot that will give a whole week's worth of liver at one or two feedings each week though.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2018, 02:39:59 PM »
The only meals I don't add liver to are from My Pet Carnivore, Raw Feeding Miami, and Rad Cat.  Anything I "mix," gets added liver. 
I think Lacy dog (and the cats) would have screaming diarrhea, if they ate a week's worth of liver in one day! 
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 02:41:46 PM by Lola »

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2018, 05:51:52 PM »
The only meals I don't add liver to are from My Pet Carnivore, Raw Feeding Miami, and Rad Cat.  Anything I "mix," gets added liver. 
I think Lacy dog (and the cats) would have screaming diarrhea, if they ate a week's worth of liver in one day! 

I'm thinking you and hubby might be the ones "screaming" if that happened.   Silly7
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Catgirl64

• Chatter Bug
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2018, 12:44:18 PM »
I think you should just add some extra alfalfa powder and find some hearts somewhere. I know they don't "need" taurine like cats, but I give ours hearts anyway. Even if they don't have them regularly, most butchers should be able to get some chicken hearts for them.

I've been using nothing but alfalfa powder plus a tiny pinch of kelp one day, and switch the kelp for spirulina 3 days later for quite a while now. I've not seen any difference in them since I quit the Vetriscience Canine Plus vitamins.

The canine plus vitamins made my vet feel safer, but they changed their formulation, and I just haven't gone back once I ran out of what I had.

Along with some kind of omega-3 oil, and your dogs should be set.

Hmmm, if I would just be exchanging the Alnutrin for other supplements, I may just keep adding Alnutrin to everyone's meat.  This is what I have been doing:  I mix up a batch of meat, liver, and Alnutrin, and then when I am ready to feed, I just add the base mix to the dogs' portion.  Would the alfalfa and spirulina be better for the dogs?  (I'm afraid of kelp now!)  I do add green-lipped mussel powder to everyone's food, and a bit of salmon oil to the dogs' food, as well.  I plan on giving hearts to everyone, as soon as I can source some.  I'll either use it as part of their Frankenprey meals, or as treats.  A chicken or duck heart seems like the perfect little snack for a cat or a small dog.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 12:52:32 PM by Catgirl64 »

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2018, 02:51:59 PM »
Hmmm, if I would just be exchanging the Alnutrin for other supplements, I may just keep adding Alnutrin to everyone's meat. 

Yes. You'd be exchanging them, for something less expensive.

Would the alfalfa and spirulina be better for the dogs?  (I'm afraid of kelp now!)  I do add green-lipped mussel powder to everyone's food, and a bit of salmon oil to the dogs' food, as well.

Green-lipped mussel is for joints.

It's not that it's better, it's just less expensive.

http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/alfalfa-for-dogs/

http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/benefits-of-spirulina/

http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/sea-vegetables-and-their-health-benefits-for-dogs/

As far as amounts of kelp, I'd honestly only give it 1/16 to 1/8 tsp. twice a week instead of the amounts given here: https://pets.thenest.com/benefits-kelp-dogs-5321.html. Didn't you say you had a Pom? they're dinky.

Or, you can switch it out to once a week with about the same amount of spirulina three days later. Spirulina is supposed to have less iodine in it though.

Tags: