Author Topic: BLOAT: A Major Breakthrough!  (Read 1274 times)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
BLOAT: A Major Breakthrough!
« on: March 19, 2016, 11:12:52 AM »
https://greatdanegnosis.wordpress.com/2016/03/19/bloat-a-major-breakthrough/

Medical science is an awesome thing!

Importantly, bloat correlates strongly with an underlying condition of inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), suggesting a possible pre-existing state in the gut that contributes to bloat.We hypothesized that, since IBD and bloat are co-existing conditions, they may have the same root causes. In both humans and dogs IBD is linked to specific genes of the immune system.  It is thought that molecular variants of these genes (alleles) cause changes in the bacterial population of the gut (the gut microbiome), which in turn, sets up an unhealthy condition in the gut. This unhealthy microbiome contributes to chronic, low-level IBD.  According to our hypothesis, it also predisposes a dog to bloat.While the causes of bloat are not clearly understood, several risk factors have been described in the scientific literature, including age, dietary, behavioral, pre-existing health and genetic factors.  The most significant risk factors appear to be genetic, since strong correlations with bloat exist for breeds, families and gender.  The best way to combine all of these factors is envision a genetic predisposition in some dogs, and a non-genetic trigger, such as stress, that sets off the bloat event.

We have just submitted the genetic study to the scientific journal, PLoS one, to be reviewed for publication.  We have established three genes that contribute to bloat in Great Danes.  For each of these genes, several alleles (molecular variants) are found in the Great Dane population, and in other breeds.  One allele from each gene was found to significantly increase the risk of bloat in Great Danes.  As shown in the graph below, those Danes that carried at least one of these risk alleles had a 3-fold higher risk of bloat.  In fact, 62% of the dogs carrying a risk allele had to undergo emergency surgery to survive a bloat episode.  This information will be crucial for owners and breeders that are trying to decide if preventative gastropexy surgery is appropriate for their dog, or if their dog should be bred. 
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: BLOAT: A Major Breakthrough!
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2016, 02:42:10 PM »
We had two Great Danes many years ago.  Thank GOODNESS neither of them ever had an issue... there isn't much time to react! 
Preventive gastropexy surgery... I'm having a difficult time wrapping my head around that.  BUT possibly being linked to specific genes... maybe.  Glad I'm not in a position to have to make a decision. 

Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2016, 12:47:16 PM »
I'd be curious:  do raw-fed dogs experience bloat?  I'm just wondering how big/small an impact diet has on that.
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2016, 02:26:10 PM »
Raw fed dogs seem to have less incidences of bloat, but it still happens. I'm still very careful about letting them play too much after eating. Though, most of the time, they're more than willing to sit down with me instead of playing chase. The only times I really have problems with the chase thing is in spring and fall when the male-dog-testosterone surges occur.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2016, 05:13:12 PM »
Interesting, thanks Dee!
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Tags: