Author Topic: Pukers And Dental Health  (Read 1378 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Pukers And Dental Health
« on: October 21, 2014, 11:25:26 AM »
For Humans:

Bulimia nervosa has a devastating effect on teeth! As acid from the stomach enters the mouth, it erodes tooth enamel, resulting in tooth decay and tooth discoloration. It not only looks bad, but bulimics often suffer from toothaches, multiple cavities, dry mouth, oral lesions and bleeding gums.

Soooooo, would kibble fed cats that also puke often, tend to have dental issues?
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: Pukers And Dental Health
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 12:44:41 PM »
Yes, frequent puking is definitely detrimental to kitty dental health. I am thankful that Mazy cat's teeth are doing so well, though of course without a dental it's hard to know if there is much enamel erosion.

Tolly, on the other hand had FORL, but his frequent vomiting (from other causes) didn't start until several years after his first resorptive lesions were extracted.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
Re: Pukers And Dental Health
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 02:22:16 PM »
While the stomach acid doesn't help, based on what I'm currently reading, for a human bulimic, they're not getting the nutrients from their food (for obvious reasons) so their body can't maintain/repair the bone and tissues.  I'm thinking that contributes significantly to their poor dental health, and would also apply to kibble-fed cats that hork frequently.

Just my  2cents  :D
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Tags: