Author Topic: It Is NOT Normal For A Cat To Throw Up  (Read 2379 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
It Is NOT Normal For A Cat To Throw Up
« on: June 28, 2016, 11:55:11 AM »
1.  SO many cats do vomit and/or regurgitate daily, due to being fed kibble. 
2.  SO many people (and vets) think daily vomiting is normal.
3.  Although not as common, there are the cats that continue to vomit/reguritate...even after being transitioned to a species appropriate diet. 
4.  Hairball "barfs" aren't normal either.  Hairballs SHOULD go out the backend. 

Vomit and/regurgitating are HUGE issues (IMO) with cats, so I gave the subject matter its own area.  If a member started a thread (or see any thread) that you think would do better in the vomit area :) let me know.  I'll move it.

It is not normal for a cat to bring up food and/or hairballs.   

« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 02:34:48 PM by Lola »
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: It Is NOT Normal For A Cat To Throw Up
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2016, 12:31:46 PM »
 thumbsup1
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 02:35:13 PM by Lola »
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2016, 10:47:11 PM »
I hear ya, Lola.  I was told by my sister that all cats do that.  None of the vets I went to seemed to think it was a problem, or sold me "prescription" food or drugs.  I had one vet who told me "a cat will throw up as soon as look at you."   bangshead  So it took me a LONG time to question, though in my heart I knew it couldn't be normal to vomit/regurgitate several times a day/night, EVERY day/night.

Personally, I think diet is the biggest cause of these problems.  Hopefully, thanks to sites like this and the one you posted about, more people will learn about what our carnivorous furkids should be eating, how important species-appropriate diet is, and makes some changes in what they feed.   fingerscrossed

Thank you for sharing the link!   HeadButt HeadButt :-* :-*
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 02:35:16 PM by Lola »
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2016, 11:11:18 AM »
I questioned why I ever thought it was normal!  I wouldn't want to throw up every day... why did I "allow" my cats to do so?  I read stories/articles that stated it was normal.  I see jokes written about cat barf and hairballs.  Others owned by cats think it is normal.  My VET said it was normal. 

Eventually, the light bulb went on.  The first step... I stopped feeding kibble.  Kibble is probably the most common reasons cats barf and/or bring up hairballs.  The food change helped most of our cats.  Our Angel Lucky and Roxy needed something more.  I won't go into an explanation now, because I don't want to derail the important info written here:

http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2010/11/09/vomitting-pet-cat-health.aspx
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 02:35:19 PM by Lola »
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2016, 09:31:47 AM »
Yes it's frustrating vets telling people it's "normal". 

Here is a good article on the subject.

http://www.foodfurlife.com/best-manage-hairballs.html