Author Topic: Part 2 - the comments, read part 1 first  (Read 987 times)

Offline The Kittens

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
  • Respect-The-Star...Violators-Will-Be-Hung
Part 2 - the comments, read part 1 first
« on: October 15, 2011, 05:44:03 PM »
Part 2, the comments.  ::)

Comments (8)
alphad0g
Said this on 10-6-2011 at 01:27 pm
Of all the dirty lowdown underhanded tricks--leave it to Purina!  I am eternally grateful I don't even have a TV.
Reply to this Comment
Jean Hofve, DVM
Said this on 10-6-2011 at 03:31 pmin reply to #1
Surely this must be a typo: “We want to sell more than food for animals." He must have meant, "We want to sell more food for animals"! That is, after all, Purina's raison d'etre!
Reply to this Comment
Gitta
Said this on 10-6-2011 at 02:11 pm
Take notice people! I'm going to patent this right away.
Cesar, move over!
Training, leader of the pack, dominance, clicker is all soooooo yesterday.  Who wants to work and train and practice stupid excercises? All that is needed to improve the dog-human relationship is a bag full of crap. Not just figuratively speaking.

Sorry, I can't stay here any longer - I must place a humongous order of my new Doggie Trouble Buster  with Guaranteed Results and dispose of all the outdated tradtional training tools. Anybody know a good TV producer??????????????????

Susan please - must you really rain on the parade?
:>)

Sorry, but this is just too dumb a claim to take seriously.
Reply to this Comment
Katie
Said this on 10-7-2011 at 01:15 amin reply to #2
Can I be your UK sales rep Gitta?
;-)

Reply to this Comment
Mollie Morrissette
Said this on 10-6-2011 at 02:47 pm
I saw the commercial , it's on Purina's YouTube channel (yup, they've got one!), and I could plainly hear the squeeks, peeps and pings.
Hey, wait a minute - does that mean I'm a dog? Whatever, I found it annoying and hopefully other consumers in Europe will see the underhanded tactics for what they are: tacky.
Reply to this Comment
jennifer
Said this on 10-6-2011 at 02:59 pm
Does anyone remember a few years ago, some companies were caught using subliminal messages in their commercials? We caught on to them, so now they're going after our pets.
Reply to this Comment
Sarah
Said this on 10-6-2011 at 05:03 pm
Well, I wouldn't be surprised if a large number of pet owners feel relieved that a veterinarian finally told them that they didn't actually have to spend time training their dog, being active with their dog, playing with their dog or engaging their dog in their daily life, the best best way to improve your relationship with your dog, to show him you love him, is to rip open a greasy bag of dog food, scoop out an over-sized portion of extremely low quality (read: dangerous) "food" and place it in his bowl. It takes all of about 20 seconds, and now you can go put your feet up and relax. Hey, you had a long day at work, you deserve a break. Your dog doesn't need a walk now since you just demonstrated your love by feeding him. You did your part.
Does this sound like how some people "parent" their children too? Don't have time to play with little Jimmy, well, get him an xbox to show him you care or stop at McDonalds a couple times a week since you feel guilty about your 10-hour work day.
The concept this vet espouses isn't groundbreaking. It's the basic premise of advertising! Buying this = Love/wealth/happiness/makes you attractive. He was just dumb enough to SAY it out loud!
Well, I wouldn't be surprised if a large number of pet owners feel relieved that a veterinarian finally told them that they didn't actually have to spend time training their dog, being active with their dog, playing with their dog or engaging their dog in their daily life, the best best way to improve your relationship with your dog, to show him you love him, is to rip open a greasy bag of dog food, scoop out an over-sized portion of extremely low quality (read: dangerous) "food" and place it in his bowl. It takes all of about 20 seconds, and now you can go put your feet up and relax. Hey, you had a long day at work, you deserve a break. Your dog doesn't need a walk now since you just demonstrated your love by feeding him. You did your part.
Does this sound like how some people "parent" their children too? Don't have time to play with little Jimmy, well, get him an xbox to show him you care or stop at McDonalds a couple times a week since you feel guilty about your 10-hour work day.
The concept this vet espouses isn't groundbreaking. It's the basic premise of advertising! Buying this = Love/wealth/happiness/makes you attractive. He was just dumb enough to SAY it out loud!
Reply to this Comment
Reader
Said this on 10-7-2011 at 12:16 am
Susan T., caught your PodCast on The Organic View.  No place to post the comment on the other link pointing to the broadcast.  So here, is as good as any other place to do so.
Couple of things.  (One) - Read somewhere or maybe from your site that Beneful is now the most popular commercial pet food sold nationwide! Yikes.  It's nearly worse than Ol'Roys.   (Two) - That Dr. Cathy is able to cure 80% of her client's pet's issue through adjusting (correcting?) their diet.  That's phenomenal!!  And (Three) That you've crunched the price point numbers and found that making and serving a whole food diet to your pet is actually just as - if not more - economical than buying commercial pet food.  That statistic is mind blowing!! It just blew my mind!  Because it really takes away the last excuse too many of us (including me) use when we're feeling lazy.  (Although I actually serve RAW meat and Preference several times a week anyway).
So what the the poison pushing PFI is saying is this.  That manufacturing a nutritious product for your pet has nothing to do with our real goal.  The (PFI's) real goal is to make the pet owner's life easier and only seemingly more rewarding in the process!   That's diabolical advertising.
This is under the guise of true product image manipulation.  Where promoting a horrible product means the pet owner still can't help but feel wonderful about THEMSELF for buying and serving it!  Because the pet "seems" to want it!!!!
Here, in this article posted above, they've finally just come out and admitted their real motive.   Our product is crap, we (the PFI) know it, and we know you probably know it too, but we can still make you feel absolutely fabulous for buying into the illusion.  That you're doing your pet a favor, when really you're doing yourself a favor of sheer convenience.  Just open the bag....to improve your relationship with the pet!  That has to be the dumbest marketing ploy on the face of the earth.
By the way, peeps, squeaks, and pings aren't considered subliminal messages as in traditional advertising. - they're just high frequency sounds usually only audible to pets.  But how curious that the advertiser actually WANTS the pet parent to hear them too!!  So both parent and pet can "buy" into all the "fun!"  Pathetically hilarious.

Tags: