Author Topic: By Nature ORGANIC  (Read 8937 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
By Nature ORGANIC
« on: March 08, 2012, 01:45:14 PM »
Due to MC's posts, I have ordered this flavor and the chicken.

Available in 6 oz. cans.

Organic Turkey & Turkey Liver Canned Cat Food
Certified Organic
Ingredients: Organic Turkey, Well Water, Organic Turkey Liver, Guar Gum, Locust Bean Gum, Carrageenan Gum, Dicalcium Phosphate, Potassium Chloride, Taurine, Calcium Carbonate, Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Proteinate (Chelated Source of Zinc), Copper Proteinate (Chelated Source of Copper), Niacin Supplement, Manganese Proteinate (Chealted Source of Manganese), Sodium Selenite, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Acetate, Riboflavin Supplement, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Biotin, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic Acid.

Calorie Content: 25 kcal/oz.
Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein (Minimum) 10.0%
Crude Fat (Minimum) 6.0%
Crude Fiber (Maximum) 1.5%
Moisture (Maximum) 78.0%

http://www.bynaturepetfoods.com/productpages/organiccannedcat.php#ttl

Don't know the carb content.  According to Mo's Carb Chart:
...willing to give me the information.
However, they did not want it to be shared with the public.  The companies request that they are
contacted directly, so they may provide the most accurate numbers.

Comments?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 01:49:59 PM by Lola »
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Amber

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
Re: By Nature ORGANIC
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 10:48:16 PM »
I don't remember how I got those numbers but I remember it being less than 10% and I think less than 7% carb. I don't guess I should really go back and find out specifics to post against their wishes.

Its as good a food as any I have found. I still have a couple of cans floating around as back up. Other than litterbox stink, Amber had no problems with this food on any occasion.

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 06:52:58 AM »
That's not the one I feed though.  I use the Organic Turkey and Chicken.  It does not contain carrageenan, and it has lower phosphurous and magnesium than the others.

....WAIT A MINUTE.....Gah!  The ingredients list has CHANGED!  The cans I have do NOT have carrageenan in them. It's one of the reasons I bought this flavor.  Now I am looking at the ingredient list on their website, and the list has changed completely. Oh no, NOW what am I going to feed this cat?

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: By Nature ORGANIC Chicken And Chicken Liver
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 12:50:11 PM »
Here is the info, from their website, for the chicken and chicken liver:

Ingredients: Organic Chicken, Well Water, Organic Chicken Livers, Guar Gum, Locust Bean Gum, Carrageenan Gum, Dicalcium Phosphate, Potassium Chloride, Taurine, Calcium Carbonate, Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Proteinate (Chelated Source of Zinc), Copper Proteinate (Chelated Source of Copper), Niacin Supplement, Manganese Proteinate (Chealted Source of Manganese), Sodium Selenite, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Acetate, Riboflavin Supplement, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Biotin, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic Acid.

Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein (Minimum) 9.0%
Crude Fat (Minimum) 6.0%
Moisture (Maximum) 78.0%

« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 12:52:39 PM by Lola »

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, 12:51:18 PM »
I don't remember how I got those numbers but I remember it being less than 10% and I think less than 7% carb. I don't guess I should really go back and find out specifics to post against their wishes.

Its as good a food as any I have found. I still have a couple of cans floating around as back up. Other than litterbox stink, Amber had no problems with this food on any occasion.

Did they tell YOU not to post the info? 

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: By Nature ORGANIC Turkey And Chicken
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2012, 12:52:23 PM »
Organic Turkey And Chicken:
Ingredients: Organic Turkey, Organic Chicken, Well Water, Guar Gum, Locust Bean Gum, Carrageenan Gum, Dicalcium Phosphate, Potassium Chloride, Taurine, Calcium Carbonate, Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Proteinate (Chelated Source of Zinc), Copper Proteinate (Chelated Source of Copper), Niacin Supplement, Manganese Proteinate (Chealted Source of Manganese), Sodium Selenite, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Acetate, Riboflavin Supplement, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Biotin, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic Acid.

Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein (Minimum) 10.0%
Crude Fat (Minimum) 6.0%
Moisture (Maximum) 78.0%

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2012, 12:54:37 PM »
That's not the one I feed though.  I use the Organic Turkey and Chicken.  It does not contain carrageenan, and it has lower phosphurous and magnesium than the others.

....WAIT A MINUTE.....Gah!  The ingredients list has CHANGED!  The cans I have do NOT have carrageenan in them. It's one of the reasons I bought this flavor.  Now I am looking at the ingredient list on their website, and the list has changed completely. Oh no, NOW what am I going to feed this cat?

Since a company can use old labels for 6 months...maybe you have a NEW label?  Maybe they just haven't updated their website? (Think positive.) fingerscrossed

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2012, 01:23:17 PM »
Since a company can use old labels for 6 months...maybe you have a NEW label?  Maybe they just haven't updated their website? (Think positive.) fingerscrossed

Or maybe I am feeding new food under an old label, which would mean she's been eating the carrageenan in this food all along and it's not bothering her.

I have written to them, I usually get a reply in a day or two.

Another concern is, if they have changed the formula since I started feeding her, this may mean the phosphorous and magnesium levels have changed. Gosh, there just doesn't seem to be ANY way to EVER feed our cats safely on commercial food.  This particular cat does not eat people food, so home cooking for her wouldn't work, even if I felt able to do it.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: By Nature ORGANIC - Carageenan FREE!
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 04:43:43 PM »
Posted in another thread, by Middle Child ...

Response to MC from By Nature concerning Carageenan.

Thank you for your inquiry. The ingredients listed on the can are accurate. We're updating our web site to reflect this information. Thank you for bringing this to our attention and we hope you and your cat continue to enjoy By Nature products."

Meant to tell you, MC, the cans I received yesterday...no Carageenan listed on the labels.  ;D

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2012, 06:29:02 PM »
Thanks Lola, later in the day I remembered this thread and was going to come back and post my news here, too, so I'm glad you thought of it.

You got the organic turkey and liver right? Does it have the menadione bisulfate ingredient?  (the website is still not updated, so I can't check on that for myself) 

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2012, 09:42:32 PM »
Thanks Lola, later in the day I remembered this thread and was going to come back and post my news here, too, so I'm glad you thought of it.

You got the organic turkey and liver right? Does it have the menadione bisulfate ingredient?  (the website is still not updated, so I can't check on that for myself) 

I bought organic turkey/turkey liver and organic chicken/chicken liver.  They both have menadione dimethylpyrimidinot bisulfate as the last ingredient.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2012, 07:26:34 PM »
PetFoodDirect still shows the By Nature Organics Organic Chicken & Chicken Liver Canned Cat Food as having the following ingredients:

Organic Chicken, Well Water, Organic Chicken Livers, Guar Gum, Locust Bean Gum, Carrageenan Gum, Dicalcium Phosphate, Potassium Chloride, Taurine, Calcium Carbonate, Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Proteinate (Chelated Source of Zinc), Copper Proteinate (Chelated Source of Copper), Niacin Supplement, Manganese Proteinate (Chelated Source of Manganese), Sodium Selenite, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Acetate, Riboflavin Supplement, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Biotin, Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic Acid, Menadione Dimethylpyrimidinol Bisulfite.

Did we ever figure out if the above is an OLD label (and the ingredients have since been improved), or if the above is a new label?  I haven't ordered it in a while, and I don't want to end up with Carrageenan...

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2012, 08:59:11 PM »
I got a few cases in yesterday.  New batches, new numbers (as compared to my last three orders).  Carrageenan is still NOT listed on the labels.

The stores most likely get their info from the product website, and the product website still lists carrageenan as an ingredient, but is is NOT listed on the can label.

I am inclined to believe the can label over the websites. Mainly because my two cats who have shown intolerances to carrageenan are eating By Nature Organics daily, with no adverse effects.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2012, 09:56:24 PM »
Sorry MC.  I see where I quoted your post, from another thread.  Doh!  You wrote them.  They replied that there isn't any Carrageenan.  ;D

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2012, 11:36:22 AM »
UPDATE:  Company rep states their products DO contain Carrageenan.  Their website is correct.  :(

http://parenting-furkids.com/index.php?topic=1449.0