Author Topic: Greenies for Cats Ingredients  (Read 1175 times)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Greenies for Cats Ingredients
« on: April 11, 2013, 07:15:28 PM »
You know...I've always brushed the teeth of mine every evening after they've eaten, so I've never seen the reason for using Greenies or other things due to the grains in most of them--I don't like that "wheat" word in the list specifically for Greenies, and other brands are worse. I'll give them to them sometimes for a treat (they LOVE these things), but not often because that scary word "wheat" is in the list.

The CET kind isn't so bad, but it's processed to death, so I'm sticking with brushing. I'm afraid to not do something b/c if they're not kept clean, they start talking "an appointment for a tooth cleaning."

Curiosity got me to looking at the newer Greenies for cats, and they're LOADED with grains! Good Grief! Which genius came up with THAT formulation that's so much different from the ones for dogs? Oh, yeah. A vet.

How DO y'all keep cat teeth clean?

EDIT: I forgot to paste these:

INGREDIENTS:

BEEF FLAVOR: Chicken meal, rice flour, wheat flour, corn gluten meal, oat fiber, poultry fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), natural poultry flavor, sodium gluconate, beef flavor, ground flaxseed, brewers dried yeast, Minerals (calcium carbonate, salt, potassium chloride, zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, copper sulfate, manganous oxide, calcium iodate, sodium selenite, cobalt carbonate), Vitamins (vitamin A supplement, vitamin D3supplement, vitamin E supplement, niacin, d-calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement), preserved with citric acid, taurine, preserved with mixed tocopherols, chlorophyll (sodium copper chlorophyllin).

CHICKEN FLAVOR: Chicken meal, rice flour, wheat flour, corn gluten meal, oat fiber, poultry fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), natural poultry flavor, sodium gluconate, ground flaxseed, brewers dried yeast, Minerals (calcium carbonate, salt, potassium chloride, zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, copper sulfate, manganous oxide, calcium iodate, sodium selenite, cobalt carbonate), Vitamins (vitamin A supplement, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin E supplement, niacin, d-calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement), preserved with citric acid, taurine, preserved with mixed tocopherols, chlorophyll (sodium copper chlorophyllin).

OCEAN FISH FLAVOR: Chicken meal, rice flour, wheat flour, corn gluten meal, oat fiber, poultry fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), whitefish meal (source of ocean fish flavor), natural poultry flavor, sodium gluconate, ground flaxseed, brewers dried yeast, Minerals (calcium carbonate, salt, potassium chloride, zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, copper sulfate, manganous oxide, calcium iodate, sodium selenite, cobalt carbonate), Vitamins (vitamin A supplement, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin E supplement, niacin, d-calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement), preserved with citric acid, taurine, preserved with mixed tocopherols, chlorophyll (sodium copper chlorophyllin).

SALMON FLAVOR: Chicken meal, rice flour, wheat flour, corn gluten meal, oat fiber, poultry fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), salmon meal, natural poultry flavor, sodium gluconate, ground flaxseed, brewers dried yeast, Minerals (calcium carbonate, salt, potassium chloride, zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, copper sulfate, manganous oxide, calcium iodate, sodium selenite, cobalt carbonate), Vitamins (vitamin A supplement, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin E supplement, niacin, d-calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement), preserved with citric acid, taurine, preserved with mixed tocopherols, chlorophyll (sodium copper chlorophyllin).

TUNA FLAVOR: Chicken meal, rice flour, wheat flour, corn gluten meal, oat fiber, poultry fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), natural poultry flavor, sodium gluconate, tuna flavor, ground flaxseed, brewers dried yeast, Minerals (calcium carbonate, salt, potassium chloride, zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, copper sulfate, manganous oxide, calcium iodate, sodium selenite, cobalt carbonate), Vitamins (vitamin A supplement, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin E supplement, niacin, d-calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement), preserved with citric acid, taurine, preserved with mixed tocopherols, chlorophyll (sodium copper chlorophyllin).
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 07:26:40 PM by DeeDee »
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: Greenies for Cats Ingredients
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 03:09:45 AM »
I hope (and keep my fingers crossed) that the real raw (not the commercial raw) they eat... help with keeping their teeth fairly clean.  Lilly and Jenkins were the two most recently seen by the vet, and their teeth were in pretty good shape.  Of course Jenkins is under two and has only been with us a short time.  But Lilly is almost 8 and has been with us for 3 years. 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Tags: