Author Topic: Declawing and biting  (Read 1677 times)

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
Declawing and biting
« on: June 18, 2016, 04:01:10 PM »
One of the ladies at the bake sale is keeping the cat that she was fostering.  Her concern is that he just seems to attack without warning, and by "attack" we're talking biting.  She's afraid he'll bite others, or her neck if she's cuddling him close to her neck.  I mentioned Jackson Galaxy (maybe watch it online or perhaps on YouTube), Rescue Remedy, animal communicators . . . and somehow it came up that the cat was declawed (before he came to her).  She'd had other cats that were also declawed and didn't bite, but I have a strong suspicion that's why this cat is biting.  I said it's possible there's still a piece of bone in his paw(s) that's causing him pain, and gave her the card with the PFK link so she can come here if she wants and learn from you all.  I should add that we don't know his history, so it's also possible that he was abused before the rescue got him.

He does play a lot and brings her toys so she can play with him (and she does).  The biting doesn't seem to have a pattern and comes without warning signs like a twitching tail.  The biting isn't new -- he's been doing it since she got him.  The only major change in the house is that she recently lost her other kitty  :'(, and he is missing his friend, but he was also biting before that happened.  I don't know if it's gotten worse since the other kitty died.

You folks know more about the issues resulting from declawing more than I do.  If you have any links you can recommend about the behavior issues that result from the procedure, AND especially ways to resolve those issues, would you please post them here?

Thank you!

P.S.  If anyone can think of other reasons why the cat is biting, or ways to stop it, feel free to share.  I did ask if maybe the cat was overstimulated, or needed to play more, but he gets lots of play.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 04:27:47 PM by Pookie »
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
Re: Declawing and biting
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2016, 04:20:41 PM »
Here's one article I found:

http://www.animalplanet.com/pets/how-to-stop-a-cat-from-biting/

For a declawed cat, providing a carpet-covered scratching post is one way to unleash some of his frustration. Some declawed cats enjoy ripping up brown paper bags, tearing the paper with their teeth and pawing the remnants.

I had also suggested Feliway, but I'm not sure if she heard me due to the large, loud fan right next to us.   :)  So if she comes here and reads this, Feliway might help calm him down.  It's a pheromone (spray or plug-in).  It works for some cats, not all, though.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 04:41:42 PM by Pookie »

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2016, 05:38:43 PM »
Biting in declawed cats can be for any number of issues, but all go back to pain. A cat will still play and be sociable, but when the pain spikes, he will bite.  It could be paw pain from: bone chips, nail regrowth, festering abscess in the bone, hammer toes, contraction of the toes, bare bone sticking out, residual nerve pain.

Pain in the legs, both front and back, hips, spine, shoulders, from the altered abnormal way the declawed cat now has to walk and stand.  The abnormal gait happens even if any of those paws issues aren't present, because a cat walks on his toes, and when the toes are cut off at the first digit, the cat is crippled for life.

but any of those paw issues can make the body pain even worse.

Sounds like a good thing he has become her foster fail, because he needs someone who can understand what is causing his issues, and help fix them.

She needs to take him to the vet for x rays, not only of the paws but the rest of his body too.  Preferably to a vet who does not declaw, if at ALL possible. Declaw vets are feeling "persecuted" these days because the movement against this evil is growing..

I recommend she look for the Paw Project Director practice in her state, if there is one, and try to get an appointment there first.

http://www.pawproject.org/no-declaw-vets/

If he needs paw repair surgery, he may need to travel if her state doesn't have a vet who does these surgeries.

If it's "only" arthritis..there are supplements he can take, and diet improvements she can make,.

In either case there are probably environmental changes she can make to help him feel more comfortable.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2016, 08:08:59 PM »
Thanks, MC!  It looks like there are 2 vets in our state, but they are very far away.  However, it's good to have this information.

I realize I could be completely wrong about this.  It could be the declawing has nothing to do with why the cat is biting.  That just happened to be the one thing that made sense to me once it came up.

Is there any other reason you or other posters here can think of as to why the cat might be biting?  That info. might be helpful, too.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2016, 08:28:39 PM »
http://jacksongalaxy.com/2010/10/01/cats-and-claws-living-happily-ever-after/

If you have adopted or rescued a declawed cat, you can help heal the physical and psychological trauma of surgery with Declaw Remedy from Spirit Essences. 

Good article on aggression:

http://jacksongalaxy.com/2014/08/21/aggression-in-cats/
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 08:44:42 PM by Pookie »

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2016, 08:29:36 PM »
There could be additional causes for the biting of course.  Mazy cat was a biter when she came to me.  With careful and patient loving training on my part she learned to control it, but that is all she is doing. I would still consider Mazy cat a biter and she of course is not declawed (it makes me sick to think of it).

However, even with other reasons that may contribute, a declawed cat is a cat in pain.  It is unavoidable, for the reasons stated above. 

When your entire stance and gait are changed forever, and you can't even stretch properly to relieve the stress put on these joints and bones in a way that was never intended, what you have is a cat in chronic pain.

I know.  I have a foot with degenerative arthritis. I live a normal life and even climb mountains which is my recreation of choice, but I am in pain all the time.  My knees, hips, back, and shoulders are affected by the disabled foot. And I CAN exercise and I do have outlets and ways to relieve my chronic discomfort.  A cat has no outlet.  So he bites.

Your friend could find out the stance of declawing in the rescue she works with, and if she can ensure they are against it, ask them what vet they use, for a start. Hopefully there are more vets out there willing to admit declawing causes problems and know how to help a cat with these problems.

Your friend can also contact The Paw Project herself and ask for advice.

There is a fb page for the work these vets do in repairing paws.

https://www.facebook.com/New-Lease-on-Life-Vets-Helping-Declawed-Cats-802225809921083/

The arthritis pain has to be managed in other ways.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2016, 08:37:36 PM »
http://jacksongalaxy.com/2010/10/01/cats-and-claws-living-happily-ever-after/

Can't hurt to try, but a declawed cat should always have the x rays and paw/arthritis evaluations.  Imagine having to walk on painful paws, and scratch in litter with those painful paws three or four times a day, forever.

A while back I ended up in a..discussion with a pro declawing person.  All his cats "are and always will be" declawed.  (it makes me sick to even type that)

He was all puffed up proud of himself because he has "ramps everywhere" because his cats "can't jump".  They don't need to jump, so it doesn't matter if they can't or "don't want to jump",  he proudly claims because they have ramps.

What I couldn't make him understand is, these are CATS. Of course they NEED TO JUMP. It's is part of who and what they are, the ability to jump.  And cats that don't jump because of chronic pain and a supposedly "loving owner" who sees no need for the cat to jump, is just one of the saddest things in the world, but it is also the pro declaw vets that push forward this thinking.

Sorry for the lecture.  We lost again this year with the NY bill, according to City the Kitty. Next year we try again.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2016, 08:52:00 PM »
Your friend could find out the stance of declawing in the rescue she works with, and if she can ensure they are against it, ask them what vet they use, for a start. Hopefully there are more vets out there willing to admit declawing causes problems and know how to help a cat with these problems.

I'm not 100% certain, but I think they are anti-declaw.  The cat had already been checked out by the vet the rescue uses, and she also took him to her own vet.  I don't know, though, if either of them did x-rays.

Thanks for the links and other information!   HeadButt HeadButt

Tags: