Author Topic: First time cat owner need help with kitten  (Read 23638 times)

Offline LeFlame

• BANNED
  • Yapper
Re: First time cat owner need help with kitten
« Reply #90 on: November 10, 2016, 06:05:30 AM »
Also lea was put up for adoption at 8 weeks she knew everything like biting and eating grooming.i may just grab the kitten when it's 8 weeks and take it to the vet right way.Also I can already tell you guys are going to be angry with the neighbor not taking his cats to the vet ever but it's just the way it is.the cats get feed dry and caned food by him and they all stay in his backyard all day long also the kittens may be inbred but someone has to take them it would be a better life for them then outside with out vaccines or anything but hey that's just my 2cents.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 06:09:34 AM by LeFlame »

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #91 on: November 10, 2016, 06:37:11 AM »
My neighbor is not going to take his cats to the vet.In my culture animals are left to do there own thing and aren't taken care of it's always made me angry that's why I want to be different with my animals and take care of them.Also if it's ten weeks that's fine I can just go over and play with the kittens in the time being again can't get two kittens so I'll just wait it out.Besides if the kittens are sick the vet should be able to fix them up with some medication.

It's not always that simple.  For some diseases, especially the kind that cats get who are bred in those conditions, there are no cures, just lots of money, work and heart break.

Anyway you asked, so I gave my opinion.  Of course I will try to help you with any kitten you adopt, but you don't take advice very well, you seem to ignore or argue against anything you are advised by experienced knowledgeable people,  so I'm not sure how much good it will do.

Offline LeFlame

• BANNED
  • Yapper
« Reply #92 on: November 10, 2016, 07:43:07 AM »
Well I mean I will take your advice and it helps but I want knowledge so I can make my own choices.if you tell me no that's a bad kitten it could be inbred don't get I just don't understand why you wouldn't want me to. Also I've been hagging around the mother she seems healthy no problems on the outside.Now of course I'm not going to pay to get a cat a surgery or so expensive medication I don't have money to waste on that.I'm just saying I'm getting the kitten when it's around 8 weeks to socialize it.Also be patient with me I like to argue just the way I am but I do like getting advice from you all it helps but I not going to follow it 100%.For example I can't buy special cat products a like  cat tree not because I can't my parents really don't like animals I'm the only 1 that does in my family(mainly because of the culture that we come from)but even so my mom is letting me have a kitten indoors we have never had a pet indoors besides Lea.All of my animals have always been outside and never to the vet I've always want to take them but my father has always shot me down.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #93 on: November 10, 2016, 10:02:17 AM »
Now of course I'm not going to pay to get a cat a surgery or so expensive medication I don't have money to waste on that.

Waste?   :o  If you consider surgery or medication a "waste" then you shouldn't have a pet.  Period.  This is another living creature, and there may come a time when it needs surgery (for example, dental care) or medication.  If you don't have the money for even basic pet care like spaying/neutering or medication when needed, then you should not have a pet.  Period.  Frankly, I'm appalled and horrified at your attitude.

For example I can't buy special cat products a like  cat tree not because I can't my parents really don't like animals

Cats need special furniture like cat trees.  They need to jump, climb and scratch, and cat trees allow them to do all of those things.  If you don't have them, how upset will your mother be when the cat destroys the furniture?

My advice, which I suspect you will ignore, is to hold off on having a pet until you are on your own and financially able to care for one.  But the fact that you are, for the most part, ignoring what will be best for the cat because of finances or other reasons, tells me that it is NOT a good idea for you to have a pet at this time.  Volunteer at a shelter if you want to be with animals.  You'll have the enjoyment without the financial responsibility.
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline LeFlame

• BANNED
  • Yapper
« Reply #94 on: November 10, 2016, 10:22:04 AM »
First of all I already have a cat board for it to scratch also it's a waste because I don't know the kitten so I'm not going to blow 200-300 dollars on a cat I don't even own for at least a year.it can't have a cat tree I'm looking to take care of it not have it treated like a king or queen it is an animal nothing more.Also I do have money to spray and get it it's vaccines the person you are referring to is my neighbor he has not and will not spray his cats.The way I see it the cat will be better off with me in a house not runing around outside getting into fights or getting runover. I don't see an operation as a waste of money but if I take the kitten and they tell me it need an operation NO I don't know this kitten why should I waste money on it.Now now I know your going to be wow you're horrible but would pay to save every cat in this damn world?No because you can't afford it even if you want to.If the cat gets sick and need an operation then yes I will pay I've been saving money for stuff like this but I need to atleast get attached to it not just operate a random cat from my neighborhood.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #95 on: November 10, 2016, 10:35:15 AM »
I have a question. Are you thinking that it will be really easy to just get another one if this one dies on you due to lack of medical care? I don't have cats, but I know for a fact that they can be just as much of a cost issue as dogs can.

Let's throw some reality out here. I have a dog with Addison's disease. Between the emergency vet and his regular vet getting him stable and all the tests to diagnose him, we threw out almost $4,000 from a Thursday to the next Monday. It was that or let him die. He's a member of the family so he's still alive.

Now cats are more rare to get things like Addison's, but it DOES happen. They cost just as much to treat when the Addison's crisis occurs.

That $4,000 wasn't the last of it either. He requires almost $100 a month in medical costs--FOR THE REST OF HIS LIFE. He's not even 5 yet, but he should live at least 12 years. That's about $8,400 in future costs as long as nothing else happens to him. I can tell you for a fact, as an animal ages, things ARE going to happen.

Now if you're of the mindset that I shouldn't have spent this much, and continue to spend this much, on a dog since it's "just a dog," I agree with everyone else. You don't need another pet.

My mindset is this. They're family members. They deserve just as much as the humans in this family do. They deserve a good place to live INSIDE the house so that they're not killed by the elements; they deserve good food; and they deserve good medical care to keep them from feeling crappy or just keep them alive.

So, if you can't think about it like I do, or can't afford or are willing to give even the most basic of medical care (never-mind what might come up in the future the way it did with us), then no. I don't think you need another pet.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline LeFlame

• BANNED
  • Yapper
« Reply #96 on: November 10, 2016, 10:44:12 AM »
First of all most of my friends have cats yet  they do not have cat trees just a board for them to destroy.Also you Americans are too emotional when it comes to animals calm down I came her for tips not your a bad owner or don't get a cat or this or that I want tips not criticism.you must realize not every cat kitten dog lizard bird or hamster is going to live like yours I'm making the best of my situation and trying to provide a home for a kitten that is soon to be born this cat will grow up with me and live with me for the rest of its life and yes I will most likely get it get accommodations like the damn cat tree but not now later when I'm 18 get some money.Now the reason my family can't spend too much is because about 8 years ago my father had a stroke a little after that had a heart operation and is retired.Because of this my mom has to go work and be the man of the house.My parents are immigrants from Cuba if you know Cuba you know it's not a nice place my mother came to the USA when she was about 35 soon after she had me so she never was able to study here so her job does not pay very well and she doesn't know any English.Also because in Cuba every cat dog or animal is always roaming out in yards sick full of fleas or dying Cubans don't really care for animals and have the mind set that they are all dirty like in Cuba.I know you all think I just some know most of you think I'm just that a** kid that's going to get bored of the cat and neglect it.im not I really have been wanting a little buddy to keep me company.Also was about to post this then I saw the new reply no I don't think of animals as family I think of they as friends not family friends I wouldn't be able to pay 4000 dollars.my grandmother may her soul rest died of breast cancer because we couldn't afford the chemo and she didn't want us to live in bet so she just let it take her.So for this big block of text I usually don't talk about my life but I felt a bit emotional today.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 10:46:17 AM by LeFlame »

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #97 on: November 10, 2016, 11:13:43 AM »
Well if you don't get the basic care and vaccinations, you're looking at the high possibility of the kitten getting feline AIDS or leukemia. Especially when you live around cats that are loose all the time. So, you'll just watch it die.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline LeFlame

• BANNED
  • Yapper
« Reply #98 on: November 10, 2016, 11:44:37 AM »
Well I'm going to take it to the vet as soon as possible besides it hasn't even been born yet.I guess we'll see what happens in the coming days.Also the cat won't be loose after I adopt it it will be indoor but for the time after it's birth it's going to be with the mom cat outside until I can take it away from its mom

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #99 on: November 10, 2016, 12:54:37 PM »
Regardless of what your culture views animals as, the fact remains that cats and other domesticated animals are sentient beings with needs and feelings.

Just because your "culture" views animals as things, disposable objects, doesn't make it right. Sounds like a major cop out to me,  a lame excuse to neglect and abuse animals. And it's against the law.

Cats feel pain.  They feel sickness.  They feel love.  They feel fear.  They need an environment that meets their needs not just being closed up in a room left alone.

You talk about not "wasting" money, but if you take an animal in, there are legal requirements, including medical care.  And let me tell you if you don't provide environment enrichment such as furniture for a cat to scratch and climb and jump on, you are going to have behavior problems.

You want "tips" and "knowledge" but you "like to argue".  That's not how it works here.  this forum is dedicated and devoted to our pets, and any other pets' well being, both physical and mental.

Differing opinions is one thing, debate is fine,  but animal neglect is not tolerated.

You come in here talking about wasting money and not providing medical care or the basic needs for an indoor cat, that is just BS.

First you claim poverty you can't afford this, you can't afford that. Which means there is no reason whatsoever for you to take on an animal if you and your family is so dirt poor.

They you claim you've saved all this money to spend on the kitten.

You're full of it.  I pity any animal that comes under your hands, but I want no more to do with anything you have to say.

In this forum we care about animals and strive to provide the best care, the best health, the best diet. You have no interest in providing any of that to any animal, so I don't want to expose myself to any more of your hogwash.

If you care so very much about going againt this "culture" and providing an animal decent care you will not be getting an animal at all, because you can NOT provide decent care.  Your home is not suitable for any living creature with four legs.  Your parents don't want a cat, you have no money to pay for anything a cat needs, there is no reason for you to take in a cat at all and a hundred reasons why you shouldn't.

Offline LeFlame

• BANNED
  • Yapper
« Reply #100 on: November 10, 2016, 01:05:02 PM »
Wow just wow I guess you don't know how to read middle child.Ive stated in my previous post that cat is going to the damn vet it's getting its shots and it's all going to be good.I am very aware that a cat has feelings that the hell do you think I am autistic?And for your information my family is not poor AF I mean with my $1000 PC flatscreen and all my gaming consoles my Nike and Jordan shoes no I am not dirty poor but to get all of this nice s*** we need to save up money some people aren't rick maybe you are good for you.Also my culture neglects animals I never said I did god middle child you need to learn to read before you snap and start talk trash.

Offline LeFlame

• BANNED
  • Yapper
« Reply #101 on: November 10, 2016, 01:09:04 PM »
From this point thank you all for the tips with the other cat from now on I'm just going to learn as I go when I get the kitten cya il do an update when the kitten is born and when I adopt it.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #102 on: November 10, 2016, 01:11:22 PM »
Wow just wow I guess you don't know how to read middle child.Ive stated in my previous post that cat is going to the damn vet it's getting its shots and it's all going to be good.I am very aware that a cat has feelings that the hell do you think I am autistic?And for your information my family is not poor AF I mean with my $1000 PC flatscreen and all my gaming consoles my Nike and Jordan shoes no I am not dirty poor but to get all of this nice s*** we need to save up money some people aren't rick maybe you are good for you.Also my culture neglects animals I never said I did god middle child you need to learn to read before you snap and start talk trash.

Sure you want to spend money on things, so you save it by neglecting your animals.  Like I said I don't want to hear any more about it.  You want to live like that's your choice but I don't have to expose myself to it. 

You say something different in every post.  None of it adds up or makes any sense when taken as a whole. You contradict yourself constantly. I've had enough of your trolling.

Offline LeFlame

• BANNED
  • Yapper
« Reply #103 on: November 10, 2016, 01:34:17 PM »
I have no idea where you keep getting neglection from but ok if you don't want to help me fine il leave this forum and just stick to articles on raising kittens

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #104 on: November 10, 2016, 03:39:29 PM »
What is it exactly that you want help with and are willing to do, to care for a cat properly?
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Tags: Kitten Help