Author Topic: Facebook Changes: A genealogist, with a law degree, point of view...  (Read 2109 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Snip...
A key example of why we need to read and understand these terms is this one, right at the very start of the Statement of Rights and Responsibilities:

For content that is covered by intellectual property rights, like photos and videos (IP content), you specifically give us the following permission, subject to your privacy and application settings: you grant us a non-exclusive, transferable, sub-licensable, royalty-free, worldwide license to use any IP content that you post on or in connection with Facebook (IP License). This IP License ends when you delete your IP content or your account unless your content has been shared with others, and they have not deleted it.

What that means is that anything we put on Facebook — anything we write, any photo we’ve taken, any video we’ve uploaded, anything at all — can be used by Facebook, without restrictions other than what we’ve set in our privacy settings. But if we’ve shared those items with someone else (and, um, why would we be on Facebook if we weren’t sharing?), then even if we delete it from our account and even if we delete our entire account, that material will stay on Facebook essentially forever.

Think about it. And sit down with your teenagers, please. That racy photo, that one of the beer-guzzling party, that very foolish factual disclosure — once shared, it’s out there forever.

And when we set up an account with Facebook, we’re giving them permission in the Data Use Policy to use data about us in very broad ways:

http://www.legalgenealogist.com/blog/2012/11/23/facebooks-changing-tos/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TheLegalGenealogist+%28The+Legal+Genealogist%29
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline FurMonster Mom

• Charter Member
  • Gabster
Re: Facebook Changes: A genealogist, with a law degree, point of view...
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 12:00:09 PM »
Exactly what I keep trying to tell my friends. 
I've know this since the first time I looked into putting up a facebook account, and it's one among many reasons that I decided not to.
IF I ever put up an account, it will be a business account.  Period. 
It would hold no other information except that which is publicly available through any other common means (like the phonebook, or court records).

And I'm considered the weirdo.   ::) :P
meow meow meow meow meow meow? -woof!
Translation: "I can has my raw food? -please!"

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: Facebook Changes: A genealogist, with a law degree, point of view...
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 11:17:22 PM »

And I'm considered the weirdo.   ::) :P

You aren't alone... 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Tags: