Author Topic: Bulldozing the Barriers Between Cats & Optimal Health  (Read 1510 times)

Offline CarnivorousCritter

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
Bulldozing the Barriers Between Cats & Optimal Health
« on: June 24, 2011, 04:29:08 PM »
Let's bust these myths once and for all:

-Putting down fresh water more frequently; adding an ice cube; and/or getting a cat a fountain is going to solve the naturally low thirst drive dilemma.

-Kibble cleans teeth.

-There's a logical place in a diet for "prescription" foods which are chock full of carbs and (going by the ingredients therein) usually succeed only in making the animal drink more water because it's dehydrated...and/or not allergic to things such as peanut hulls & pine tree sawdust.

-"When in doubt about diet, you should ask your veterinarian."

-Feeding carnivores raw is bad.

Just a springboard for things we can tackle, dissect, and reach logical, informed conclusions to.   eat1

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: Bulldozing the Barriers Between Cats & Optimal Health
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 09:03:24 PM »
I'm going to argue with you right away about prescription foods, LOL.  My FLUTD cat has been tried, time and again on other diets.  The struvites always come back, and the pH always goes up.  In 6 years of struggle, the ONLY diet that has proved to keep her healthy is Prescription c/d.  Am I happy about this?  No I am not.  But the fact is, the c/d is the only food that keeps her healthy.

And there are vets who are knowledgeable about nutrition.

Offline Lola

• Administrator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
    • Parenting Furkids
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 09:25:06 PM »
I'm going to argue with you right away about prescription foods, LOL.  My FLUTD cat has been tried, time and again on other diets.  The struvites always come back, and the pH always goes up.  In 6 years of struggle, the ONLY diet that has proved to keep her healthy is Prescription c/d.  Am I happy about this?  No I am not.  But the fact is, the c/d is the only food that keeps her healthy.

And there are vets who are knowledgeable about nutrition.

You aren't arguing...you are sharing your opinon and experience.  See the positive side.   ;D

I'm not a fan of prescription food.  In my stinky humble opinon, there are less expensive foods with better ingrediets that would work too.  But...  2cents

Also, myself (and speaking for CC), DO believe there are vets knowledgeable in nutrition.  CC and I both quote and link to mannnnnny all the time.  My furkids' vet also has furthered his education to include nutrition. 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline CarnivorousCritter

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 10:13:39 PM »
  Lola [/quote]You aren't arguing...you are sharing your opinon and experience.  See the positive side.   ;D
... there are less expensive foods with better ingrediets that would work too.[/quote]

BINGO.

I have a friend who was sold on one such food and, while the cat is now drinking a lot of water (yes, salt is an ingredient) and hasn't had another blockage (to my knowledge), it has become obese.  

That aside, due to personal experience even prior to this cat becoming a balloon, I will just wish your cat health, my friend, as Lola has summed it up perfectly..
:>)   <^..^>

(Hey, is that you, 21?)   hellowave hellowave hellowave

« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 12:10:03 PM by Bogie »

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2011, 06:59:44 AM »
Thanks, okay, not arguing, sharing, good good.  Many cat foods have salt added. :)

My girlie is not obese, and never will be, and she's quite active but will probably always be on Prescription food.  I hate it, I do hate it that she has to eat this crummy food.  But high quality canned diets do not work with her.

Tags:

'Hare