Author Topic: Dogs Naturally Article  (Read 1199 times)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Dogs Naturally Article
« on: June 19, 2013, 11:13:18 AM »
I was reading this new article that was in the Dog's Naturally newsletter http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/chia-for-pets/ and at first I thought, "Wow, that sounds like a good additive! Vlad and Barkly need some!"

Then I got to this one paragraph (last sentence of it) in the article that made my eyes pop:

Endurance, Weight Loss And Diabetes Support In One Package
Chia can absorb 10 times its own weight in water and generates a gel which can be consumed. The gel slows the conversion of carbohydrates into sugars. Stable blood sugar levels contribute to naturally high levels of energy. By doing so, chia supports normal insulin function and sensitivity, blood sugar regulation and glucose tolerance. The added benefit of slowing down digestion enables full absorption of nutrients while dogs feel satiated longer.

Maybe that's not so good for a raw-fed dog. They might get sick from salmonella or something if they're not digesting it at the rate they're supposed to do.

Other thoughts?

"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
Re: Dogs Naturally Article
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 11:37:39 AM »
Hi Dee,

I haven't read the article, but just from what you posted I don't think this something that anyone should be using, IMO.  In your case, you feed raw except for the little bit of kibble that you give them.  So I'm pretttty sure they're digesting at the proper rate for carnivores  ;D.  And to give this to pets fed dry doesn't thrill me, either.  Dry food digests at a slower rate, and salmonella has been an issue with dry food many times, as indicated by the recalls we see so often.  So slowing down the digestion of something that's species-inappropriate and possible also contaminated with salmonella just doesn't make sense to me. 

If people want their pets to lose weight and avoid diabetes, all they have to do is remove the kibble and feed grain-free wet or raw.  There are no shortcuts, esp. in Nature.

Just my  2cents   :)
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 12:15:01 PM »
Hi Dee,
In your case, you feed raw except for the little bit of kibble that you give them.  So I'm pretttty sure they're digesting at the proper rate for carnivores  ;D.  And to give this to pets fed dry doesn't thrill me, either.  Dry food digests at a slower rate, and salmonella has been an issue with dry food many times, as indicated by the recalls we see so often.  So slowing down the digestion of something that's species-inappropriate and possible also contaminated with salmonella just doesn't make sense to me. 

Thank you, Pookie!

That thought of kibble being in them too long is what made me wonder about salmonella or any other food-born disease. I already have to just hope that Barkly's 1/5 of a cup & Vlad's 1/2 cup is getting pushed out faster by giving it with fruit and being a few hours after breakfast and before dinner. I don't want that stuff being slowed down, and I don't want to switch it to bedtime to give it more time to digest, because that might make them gain weight.

That was also a thought of mine about it--if the chia causes their digestion to slow down, would it make them gain weight?
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline FurMonster Mom

• Charter Member
  • Gabster
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 02:32:21 PM »
...I haven't read the article, but just from what you posted I don't think this something that anyone should be using, IMO. ...slowing down the digestion of something that's species-inappropriate and possible also contaminated with salmonella just doesn't make sense to me. 

If people want their pets to lose weight and avoid diabetes, all they have to do is remove the kibble and feed grain-free wet or raw.  There are no shortcuts, esp. in Nature.
well said

That was also a thought of mine about it--if the chia causes their digestion to slow down, would it make them gain weight?

LOL... that was my thought too. 

It's exactly this backward spinning of "science" that marketers use to convince people their products are so great.  Sheeple, as we know, tend not to ask questions.

meow meow meow meow meow meow? -woof!
Translation: "I can has my raw food? -please!"

Tags: