Author Topic: New Attempt...  (Read 2704 times)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
New Attempt...
« on: June 19, 2013, 02:36:12 PM »
Got a chance to try Oracle Grain Free Chicken.

Gave both dogs VERY little with one meal--Barkly 1/2 a scoop & Vlad 1 1/2 scoop. Not going to try it again!

Put it down before giving their meat just to see if Barkly would eat it. Well he actually did! Was thinking this was perfect for RVing & a wet & raw food, FINALLY! Didn't seem to have any ill effects on him. Boy, was I excited!

However, Vlad is notorious for walking up to people after drinking a lot of water within a couple of hours of dinner and burping (loudly) in their face. He seems to think it's some kind of joke like a pubescent, male skinkid would--because he does it often. I just look at him and tell him he's a silly boy.

A couple of hours after eating it, here comes Vlad and we're wondering who's tonight's victim? It was me. But, Good Lord! This time I thought I'd been buried in a green cloud of funk from the waste treatment plant!

His burps usually don't smell at ALL!!! They're just noise! Then about an hour after that, the burping from the other end started. I didn't really want to be near him at all that night!

The next morning, both of them had poop that was double-size what is normally their output. I don't understand what happened, but I've given the rest to someone else. They've not had the same problem out of it. It just seems to be Vlad. But I can't be carrying extra stuff for RVing, so the "Barkly gets one kind and Vlad another" thing just isn't going to happen.

I really wish this had worked. Barkly didn't like Honest Kitchen when I had a chance to try it, and but he DOES eat this dehydrated raw version of food for some reason.

Wish I had the ability to freeze-dry their normal, raw food. I'd be set then!

"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
Re: New Attempt...
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 04:23:02 PM »
A couple of hours after eating it, here comes Vlad and we're wondering who's tonight's victim? It was me. But, Good Lord! This time I thought I'd been buried in a green cloud of funk from the waste treatment plant!

funny2 funny2 funny2

I'm sorry, I probably shouldn't laugh, but that was a great description!

I'm sorry it didn't work out the way you'd hoped.   :(
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
The Oracle Beef Brand...What do Y'all think?
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 05:31:50 PM »
Trying the Oracle Beef brand today.

Not sure what was different about the chicken kind, but so far with the beef mix, so good. Barkly ate it with nothing else in his bowl at lunch.

Been 4 hours since I gave them a snack with the "Oracle Grain-Free Beef" type only, and I've not had Vlad come up to me burping or smelling up the whole living room/kitchen area in "other ways."

I'll keep on giving it for a snack replacement for a while and we'll see, but I just might have found our solution to RV emergencies!

If so, we're going kibble-free altogether!!!! I won't have to worry about keeping them eating this freeze-dried raw food for emergencies! All I have to do is go to Ma & Pa's before a trip!

Website: http://www.drharveys.com/products/line/17-dogs says it's Organic & Human Grade ingredients. I can't find anything about GMO free, but as you all know, I'm not going to find any brand that I like 100%. I'd sure like this a lot better than having to keep them used to eating kibble.

Dog Food Advisor says this: http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/oracle-dog-food/

With one notable exception…
This food contains chelated minerals, minerals that have been chemically attached to protein. This makes them easier to absorb. Chelated minerals are usually found in better dog foods.

I'm still confused as to why I can't find the ingredients at the website, but I can on the bags. What do you all think?

Ingredients:

Beef, Whole Egg, Chicken, Sweet Potatoes, Carrots, Calcium Citrate, Flax Seed Meal, Green Beans, Zucchini, Broccoli, Peas, Beets, Parsley, Dried Yeast, Lecithin, Alfalfa, Dried Kelp, Dried Ground Fenugreek, Dried Ground Fennel, Dried Ground Ginger, Dried Ground Peppermint, Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Vitamin E Supplement, Manganese Proteinate, Vitamin A Acetate, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Sodium Selenite, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid, Rosemary Extract, Mixed Tocopherols
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Amber

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 11:26:12 PM »
If neither of your boys are prone to seizures, it looks fine (rosemary).

A lot of plant matter for my taste, but we are talking about canines, not felines, and there is nothing in it I am just opposed to. If they keep tolerating it, I think you have a winner. Congrats.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 12:01:12 AM »
The dashboard displays a dry matter protein reading of 45%, a fat level of 14% and estimated carbohydrates of about 33%.
As a group, the brand features an average protein content of 39% and a mean fat level of 12%. Together, these figures suggest a carbohydrate content of 40% for the overall product line.

Isn't that a HUGE amount of carbs? 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 12:09:19 AM »
Isn't that a HUGE amount of carbs? 

Well I don't want to feed it to them ALL the time--just for RV emergencies. I want a couple of weeks of testing though to make sure it has no bad gastric effects on Vlad like the chicken did. I also want to make sure that Barkly is willing to eat it for more than a couple of days. He's done that to us before. Eat something a couple of days and quit.

The rest of the time I could just quit giving them anything except their raw foods that I feed them here at home. No more worries about keeping them eating kibble so they don't quit eating it altogether when offered in emergencies.

It's got pretty large chunks of beef in it. Took quite a while to re-hydrate--somewhere around 15-20 minutes. I had to take them out for a walk to get Vlad to quit  throwing a fit to get to it since he could smell it up on the cabinet. I'll take a photo tomorrow at lunch when I give it to them again.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2013, 12:12:22 AM »
If neither of your boys are prone to seizures, it looks fine (rosemary).

Thank you. I didn't know that Rosemary would do that. Neither of them have ever had any seizures, but I've never given them any Rosemary in a raw sort of form either--except in the Honest Kitchen test that time that Barkly refused to eat. HK Love mixture has it in it too.

I'll watch for that for sure now though and make sure nothing weird is going on during this test.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2013, 12:34:18 AM »
I was just curious as to what you thought about the carb content... in general.  I wasn't "dogging" you for feeding it.  (Not sure if my question sounded snotty or something.)  :)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2013, 12:41:55 AM »
Like you I'd think it was a heck of a lot if I intended to make it a daily thing. Carbs makes them fat. I don't want Vlad's vet down on my head at a shoulder check. If skin's loose and he can pull skin up around their ribs, he says something. At least I know he did about Barkly last year after we started leash walking and he wasn't running in the fence like a little demon so much. Barkly's kibble got decreased fast & he went back down to 26 lbs.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
What it looks like...
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2013, 12:08:26 PM »
Since I couldn't get good photos of it in their stainless bowls, I mixed some up in a Cool Whip bowl to show you.

Dry:

Right after pouring on the warm water:

30 minutes later (Once I scraped it all out of the bowl into their bowls, it looked bloody in the bottom of the white bowl):

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2013, 12:43:59 AM »
Wow... that looks tasty! 

Tell us the truth.  Did you take a litttttle tester taste?   ;D  I ask because...  I thought the Weruva chicken looked delicious...  it wasn't.  lol
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 12:46:13 AM by Lola »

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2013, 09:42:12 AM »
Wow... that looks tasty! 

Tell us the truth.  Did you take a litttttle tester taste?   ;D  I ask because...  I thought the Weruva chicken looked delicious...  it wasn't.  lol

LOL...no....this Food Safety warning: "This product contains raw meat..." kept that idea from even going into my head. It smelled kind of good though.

Tags: