Author Topic: The Outside Dilemma  (Read 64020 times)

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
Re: The Outside Dilemma
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2014, 03:58:01 PM »
For what it's worth, MC, I've got Pookie on the 2 capsules of lecithin a day, and he just had a hairball last night.   :(  I don't know what else to do except maybe start adding a bit of pumpkin to the menu.  But my point is, I think maybe this is a really bad year for hairballs for susceptible kitties, at least in our part of the country.   :-\
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2014, 04:08:09 PM »
She finally pooped out the grass this afternoon.  Took EIGHT DAYS to get that grass through her.  Darn it.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2014, 05:56:16 PM »
She finally pooped out the grass this afternoon.  Took EIGHT DAYS to get that grass through her.  Darn it.

:o  Wow.  At least her colon is clean!  (Just kidding!)

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2014, 07:25:02 PM »
Well she's been pooping every day. Normal poops with lots and lots of fur, the fur content increased greatly since starting the Vet's-Best on a regular basis.. But no grass. No poop yesterday. Extra large poop today, including the grass. 

I didn't take them out yesterday, as I had a fibromyalgia attack and spent the day on the couch huddled under blankets. If it's going to take her 8 days to pass grass, that means out only every other Sunday.  To think, I used to take them out almost every day, weather permitting, from April through November.  Sigh....

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2014, 08:06:49 PM »
There has to be something, that we haven't thought of, that can allow them time outside... away from grass.  Hmmmm
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2014, 08:09:57 PM »
We spent the afternoon outside.  She brought up the grass tonight, with her supper of course.

I feel a little bad because I chased her when I saw she was going to regurgitate.  I chased her because I had just shampooed the carpets, including stairs, this morning and did not want her puking on them already. Chasing her stopped the puking momentarily, she ended up on her high perch.

I coaxed her down and just as she was coming within arms reach she started to Hyuck Hyuck again.  But I had her in my arms and got her in the bathroom just in time and she puked on the linoleum bathroom floor.  Her supper and what looked like her egg yolk which was 2 1/2 hours ago, but the main thing was there was a ton of grass, so hopefully, that will be that and we can have a puke free week. There was fur in there, too.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2014, 01:53:49 PM »
GREAT picture!  Mazy is sooooo beautiful.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2014, 04:18:27 PM »
Thanks Lola.  That little rock "wall" has always been one of her favorite spots.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2014, 05:52:38 PM »
It is probably something about the warmth coming from the rock.  I'm guessing that because, some of ours roll around on the tile floor of their outdoor enclosure.  Arrows will make a run for the front door every so often, but all he does is roll around on the concrete. 

I don't think I have ever seen Mazy's cool "design" on her sides before.  I think I need a close-up shot.  :)

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2014, 08:07:51 PM »
Yes, Mazy has always liked sleeping on the warm rocks.  I have pictures of her warming her toes on rocks too, but today it was Jennie warming her toes on rocks, I may post pics later.

This cat (Mazy) defies all logic.  No matter what I try, it backfires.

Remember last time I took them out, while she did not puke up the grass like any normal cat would, she did later puke up her supper, grass included, so we did not have the week long daily regurgitation while the grass worked it's way through her system.

Today I decided to try something a little different, thinking since she brought the grass up with food last time...we spent the whole afternoon outside, it was a bit chilly but a lovely day. At the two hour mark I brought her a meal (fed outside) of .45 oz of canned food with a little SEB mixed in (and water).  Normally I would NEVER feed her that much all at once, the largest amount she ever eats at one time3 is .3 (three tenths) of an ounce.

But I wanted her to bring the grass up so I thought for sure this would do it, and the SEB would protect her esophagus as the food and grass came back up. OUTSIDE.

Nothing doing.  She ate the entire meal, kept it down grass and all.  bangshead

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2014, 10:02:23 AM »
Maybe THIS will be the time the grass will come out the backend!!! 

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2014, 11:52:07 AM »
That's the problem though, Lola. Passing the grass takes a week or more because of her motility issues. 

It gets lodged and causes daily regurgitation, until she has passed it.  I would prefer her to bring it right back up like Jennie does, Like any other normal cat would.

Oh the irony, a cat who has a chronic regurgitation issue, but will not regurgitate grass after eating it.

Today is another beautiful day but I am not taking them out.  I can't let her fill up on grass again and then have to worry about two days worth of grass to get rid of.  However, I am going to figure otu a way to cat proof my little porch here and when I read out there they can come out with me there, that will help my feeling bad that they only get to use their yard once a week now.

It won't be as fun for them, especially Queen Eva, but it will be something.

Sigh...I remember how I used to take them out as often as possible, watching for every opportunity, even late afternoons after work.....it was a daily thing in summer.   But with Mazy's digestion so messed up, and the grass making it ten times worse, I just can't do it that way any more.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2014, 12:25:42 PM »
That's the problem though, Lola. Passing the grass takes a week or more because of her motility issues. 

I know... just thought maybe typing the words, would bring Mazy a miracle. 

It gets lodged and causes daily regurgitation, until she has passed it.  I would prefer her to bring it right back up like Jennie does, Like any other normal cat would.

Does Jennie eat grass, at every outing, also?

Oh the irony, a cat who has a chronic regurgitation issue, but will not regurgitate grass after eating it.

That is VERY ironic! 

Today is another beautiful day but I am not taking them out.  I can't let her fill up on grass again and then have to worry about two days worth of grass to get rid of.  However, I am going to figure otu a way to cat proof my little porch here and when I read out there they can come out with me there, that will help my feeling bad that they only get to use their yard once a week now.

It won't be as fun for them, especially Queen Eva, but it will be something.

Sigh...I remember how I used to take them out as often as possible, watching for every opportunity, even late afternoons after work.....it was a daily thing in summer.   But with Mazy's digestion so messed up, and the grass making it ten times worse, I just can't do it that way any more.

Some of mine would probably like to roam the entire neighborhood, but...  we are their parents, and have to keep them safe.  Something is better than nothing.  :)

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2014, 01:42:04 PM »
I wish I had some suggestions, but I don't, unfortunately.   fingerscrossed that she either brings up the grass quickly, or finally passes it through.  fingerscrossed

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2014, 07:08:04 PM »
I wish I had some suggestions, but I don't, unfortunately.   fingerscrossed that she either brings up the grass quickly, or finally passes it through.  fingerscrossed

Thans Pookie

I know... just thought maybe typing the words, would bring Mazy a miracle. 

Does Jennie eat grass, at every outing, also?

That is VERY ironic! 

Some of mine would probably like to roam the entire neighborhood, but...  we are their parents, and have to keep them safe.  Something is better than nothing.  :)

Thank you so much Lola, giving me that perspective helps a lot.  Of course I lose out too, because I get great enjoyment from taking them into the yard.

Jennie eats grass at every outing.  She always brings it back up, and sometimes eats it again.  Queen Eva, thank goodness does not eat grass.  Tolly ate grass and always brought it back up too.  Ootay would eat it sometimes and while she didn't always bring it up, she had no trouble passing it within a day. Funny, with her megacolon you'd think she would have had trouble, but she didn't.

Tags: