Author Topic: Castor and Pollux--Butcher and Bushel  (Read 1740 times)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Castor and Pollux--Butcher and Bushel
« on: May 02, 2014, 07:17:03 PM »
Okay. . .this food has bones in it. Thoughts???

http://www.allthingsdogblog.com/2014/05/organix-serves-up-safe-bones-for-fido.html

Fast forward to dinnertime when I opened the can. You may have heard me gasp. There was a thigh bone sticking out of a chunk of meat, looking very suspicious, yet at the same time, very tasty. I sniffed ever so carefully and conjured up a positive image of chicken stew on the stove. Yet how could this be? A bone in a Castor and Pollux product? They KNOW that cooked bones are not safe for our dogs. I sighed. What could be going on?
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: Castor and Pollux--Butcher and Bushel
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 09:10:19 PM »
That's quite a long winded advertisement isn't it.  funny2

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 09:54:36 PM »
LMAO. Yeah it is that. But it kind of freaked me out. I thought cooked bones were a no-no -- no matter what.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2014, 08:07:12 AM »
I'm with you, Dee.  But there was a discussion in a raw/home cooked group I was reading once about pressure cooking bones long enough to turn them soft.  Apparently it's possible.

However I wouldn't trust any pet food company enough to feed something with cooked bones in it.

Castor and Pollux is owned by Merrick now.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2014, 12:48:06 PM »
IE then: another donation to Hairy Moose.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2014, 01:26:32 PM »
I wouldn't chance it either.  Thanks for the info!  Thanks also, MC, for reminding us Merrick owns Castor and Pollux.  I was JUST looking at that food, the other day.  Glad I didn't order any. 
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 02:46:55 PM by Lola, Reason: spelling »
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2014, 05:33:02 PM »
I'm with you, Dee.  But there was a discussion in a raw/home cooked group I was reading once about pressure cooking bones long enough to turn them soft.  Apparently it's possible.

The only way I know of to actually turn bones soft is to soak them in a jar of vinegar--yeah it's an OLD children's science experiment: http://www.sciencebob.com/experiments/rubberbone.php I really just don't trust much of anything else. Unless I took it out of the can and could smash THE WHOLE THING with my own hand, I'd be afraid.

But maybe pressure cooking it removes the calcium the same way?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 05:34:45 PM by DeeDee »

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2014, 09:05:43 PM »
I was reading customer comments.  They all said that the bone was mush.  Still...I wouldn't chance it.  There is just tooooo much to not trust, when it comes to the pet food industry. 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Amber

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2014, 02:39:40 PM »
Merrick's Wing a Ling and Smothered Comfort also contain whole, cooked bones and maintain that the high pressure renders them soft and crumbly.

Tags: