Author Topic: Do dogs need "soluable and insoluable fiber"  (Read 1653 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Do dogs need "soluable and insoluable fiber"
« on: December 26, 2014, 04:26:00 PM »
Someone is insisting that dogs "need fiber" in their diet. That an 80/10/10 diet is not complete for a dog, there must be fruits vegetables and grains added.  I disagree with this, (with the disclaimer that each case should be considered individually) but not sure where to go for answers. Thanks for any help

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: Do dogs need "soluable and insoluable fiber"
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2014, 04:44:19 PM »
http://www.littlebigcat.com/health/fiber-facts/

I know that's littlebigcat, but she's including "canids" with the "felids" in her examples.

I've been told that (despite what the above article says at the end about digestion-speed) it slows down digestion of the raw meat though, and that can be dangerous. So my straying from the meat-only group says they need a separate meal for it--hence V&B having a veg and fruit puree lunch.

I just want them to get the fresh vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants from it, and could care less about the fiber (or any other) part no matter what side others have in the debate.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Tags: