Author Topic: Petsmart Ends Partnership With Woof, Wiggles, N Wags  (Read 6195 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Petsmart Ends Partnership With Woof, Wiggles, N Wags
« on: February 25, 2015, 05:14:02 PM »
Former volunteers told ABC15 inattention, overcrowding and filthy conditions have harmed the very animals the rescue is trying to save.

PetSmart told ABC15 in a statement, as of Monday, “Woofs Wiggles N Wags is no longer eligible to participate in the PetSmart Charities Adoption Program.  Their program status has been terminated due to policy violations.”

http://www.abc15.com/news/local-news/investigations/petsmart-ends-adoption-partnership-with-valley-rescue-after-abc15-investigation

Am I missing something... why did it take an undercover investigation?  Couldn't Petsmart employees SEE the conditions? 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: Petsmart Ends Partnership With Woof, Wiggles, N Wags
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 05:48:57 PM »
ABC did the undercover investigation, not PetSmart. Petsmart just used the info from ABC to determine lack of compliance from WWnW.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 06:50:17 PM »
ABC did the undercover investigation, not PetSmart. Petsmart just used the info from ABC to determine lack of compliance from WWnW.

I understood that part.  ;)  I just meant Petsmart employees should have done something about the situation loooooong before any investigation. 

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 07:12:07 PM »
Maybe they were doing like a lot of puppy mills do. Cleaning the animals up before "adoption days." Puppy Mill people like doing that. Cleaning filthy puppies up the day before a buyer gets to see them, and then never letting the real truth be seen.

If that were the case, Petsmart wouldn't have known about the actual conditions of where they were living. There's no guarantee that any Petsmart employees worked at the actual "dreadscue."

Usually most of those set-ups only require proof of non-profit, blah, blah, blah paperwork. The management/employees at Petsmart never see anything about the rescue except on adoption days.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 07:21:53 PM »
I'm sleep deprived, at the moment, so keep that in mind. :)

I "read" the article as... the animals were living in filth, caged for days on end, etc. while AT Petsmart. 

I only have experience with one Petsmart.  The cats stay at Petsmart in cages, for several days at a time.  If a volunteer, from the rescue, doesn't come in to feed and clean...then a Petsmart employee is supposed to. 

Also.. looking at the rescue's website... they don't have an actual location.  Their animals are in foster homes, or at Petsmart.  "Woofs, Wiggles n Wags does not have a shelter."
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 07:26:03 PM by Lola »

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 07:31:37 PM »
The City of Phoenix has cited the rescue for code violations by operating in a strip mall not zoned for long term care of animals. The rescue group is appealing that decision.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2015, 07:32:41 PM »
THIS is the part that bothers me:

The Arizona Humane Society and Maricopa County Animal Care and Control told ABC15 they are not partners with Woofs Wiggles n Wags and have been aware of complaints.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2015, 07:45:41 PM »
The video looks (to me) like it was taken inside a Petsmart...behind the scenes.  Also, many Petsmarts are located in strip malls.

Time will tell... 

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2015, 07:48:13 PM »
From Their Facebook Page:

Sherry Butler:
 "Surrender your dogs and stop providing any services. You should be ashamed at yourself Melanie Murphy for neglecting these beautiful animals. ABC15 Arizona investigators don't mess around. Neither does the rescue community."

Woofs, Wiggles, n Wags Rescue:
"Is that a joke? Surely you must be joking about abc 15. Get your facts straight before you judge. The truth will come out."

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2015, 07:57:20 PM »
At about 1:18 it shows the building where they were. I don't think that's a Petsmart sign that they're blurring.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2015, 08:07:21 PM »
At about 1:18 it shows the building where they were. I don't think that's a Petsmart sign that they're blurring.

It isn't.  My guess.... it is the shelter (that supposedly doesn't exist), or they blurred the business name of the other business owner that was interviewed. 

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2015, 08:13:44 PM »
I still wonder how long the Humane Association knew about the complaints?

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2015, 08:21:22 PM »
A lot of places use "Humane Society" in their names, but aren't associated with THE Humane Society.  I don't know if that is the case here or not. 

OT-ish
There is a thread here (somewhere) about THE Humane Society.  It is a bit of an eye opener. 

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2015, 08:24:03 PM »
THE Humane Society, the ASPCA, and PETA are places I'll never give money to. EVER. They're all lying thieves in my book.

But "Maricopa County Animal Care and Control" was also named right beside Arizona Humane Society.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2015, 08:27:56 PM »
I got "wound" up about this whole story because...

1. "News" winds me up, in general.  :) 
2.  I've learned a few things about SOME rescues lately that have really bummed me out. 
3.  I know for a fact - cats are left, in very small cages, for days on end at (at least one) Petsmart. 

This story had just about everything to pizz me off!   Silly7

Tags: